Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

a brief recap of my engine swap (PICS)

Old 08-11-2005, 06:26 PM
OBD II sucks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mudstuck98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a brief recap of my engine swap (PICS)

This whole engine swap adventure has been quite an experience for me. It was the first time I have ever messed with an engine before. Lots of sweat, blood, curse words, and money went into this project, but I think it was worth it. his propject took a helluva lot longer than I expected. I overestimated the amount of time I would have working a full-time job. In case you were wondering, I replaced the stock 2.5L/AX-5 in my 98XJ with a 4.0/AW4. T

Last fall I pulled a 4.0 out of a wrecked 97XJ that was in the local junk-yard. (I would have kept the AW4, but the moron had put gear oil in it instead of ATF, and I was gonna get another AW4 for free anyways). This is the motor the night it came home from the junk-yard:

I go to a university fall untill spring, so when I went home once a month I would work on the 4.0. I tore it down to the block and head and put it back together with new gaskets.

I slowly began to build the motor back up:

My engine swap would not have been possible without this...my 92 Ford Taurus. my roomates stepdad gave it to me during the spring. All I had to do was fix a leaky power steering line. I would have been ****ed if I didn't have this thing to drive. It will be getting a SHO motor sometime.

Once summer began it was time to get down to business. I started early June, and expected to be done before July...boy was i wrong. Anyways, here is the XJ when I began ripping the old motor/tranny out of it (the 4cyl is still in):

This is when I stepped back and said to myself "wtf have I just done.":

Here is the 4.0 in, but not connected to anything:

After many hours of work, alot of cussing and thrown wrenches, here is the motor as it sits. (Yes I know the CCV hose is missing). It idles smooth now, I can drive it around. Its only problem is that I advanced the ignition timing too far and it knocks, and will stutter everyonce and a while. I will be fixing that soon. IT HAS A HELLUVA LOT MORE POWER THAN THE 4 BANGER. The auto sucks though, now I know the reason they call it a "slushbox".

Last edited by mudstuck98; 08-11-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:19 PM

nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo
Default Re: a brief recap of my engine swap (PICS)

umm.... cool?
Old 08-11-2005, 08:49 PM
Taking the shot

QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by nismo
umm.... cool?

very actually

Mudstuck98: Ive actually been very interested in seeing how this was done ive thought about doing the same to my 97 wrangler but i figure for the amount of money it will take i should just buy one with the 4.0 in it already thanks for the pics
Old 08-12-2005, 03:55 AM
OBD II sucks

mudstuck98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by QwanSanchez
very actually

Mudstuck98: Ive actually been very interested in seeing how this was done ive thought about doing the same to my 97 wrangler but i figure for the amount of money it will take i should just buy one with the 4.0 in it already thanks for the pics
if you can get a good deal on a 4.0 and AX-15 or AW4 go for it. Remember, your engine control harness and ECU must be 97+. It will also make your life worlds easier if the engine itself is 97+. I got a fairly good deal on mine. I found my engine in a wrecked 97 XJ.