Notices
Import - ASIA Vehicles from Japanese, Korean, Chinese(?) manufacturers go here.

'88 Supra Turbo Targa 5spd-Clean!-Harrisonburg, VA

Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GDSpeed has disabled reputation
Default '88 Supra Turbo Targa 5spd-Clean!-Harrisonburg, VA

What is your First & Last name? David Goodspeed
What is your email? david.goodspeed@gmail.com
What is your phone number? -Optional:
What is your City? : Harrisonburg
What is your State? : VA
What is your Zipcode? : 22802

-----------------------------------------------------
Ad Description:

------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: Some of you know that this was listed for sale in January...however, I decided to keep it. Now that I'm graduating school soon I'm looking for a more practical car, so the Supra has to go! It was previously listed by a good friend of mine as I wasn't a member at the time.

Available to prospective buyers on or after June 13th!

PRICE: $4250
ITEM: 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo Targa 5-speed w/ TEMS
DESCRIPTION: Clean, 3 owner, ~141k miles, clean title and all paperwork/receipts from new.

I purchased this car from the 2nd owner on August 31st, 2007 in Vienna, VA with 131, 535 miles on it. The car was owned from 1988 until 2004 by a couple from Virginia Beach, VA and they left it completely stock. The second owner purchased it with 117k miles on it, unknowingly with a BHG. As a result, the previous owner performed much of the maintenance and mods that are on the car currently. He sold it to me to buy a motorcycle.

Mileage, as of this ad, is 140,823 on 5/31/09. This will increase slightly as I continue to use the car. VIN available upon PM request.

How I treated the car:
I DD’ed it for perhaps the first few months after my purchase, and after that it was only driven when necessary. I am a university student and took to walking/public transportation to get to and from campus to keep miles off and needless wear to a minimum, not to mention keep the car away from parking garage dings and the like. I wash the car by hand roughly every week and vacuum, with a wax once a month. I am very anal about the car and took every minor rock chip or small scratch with a blow, but it’s a car and that’s life. I kept it parked under a cover most of the time, even under two car covers during heavy rain/hail warnings. The car was subsequently driven for errand trips, highway trips to the DC area and pleasure (cruises and perhaps 3 autocrosses). I’d like to see the car go to a mature, responsible owner that will appreciate and respect their purchase. I won't sell the car to any inexperienced, young kids looking for a fast car.

Mod List:
*Indicates mods I performed as the 3rd owner

Rebuilt 50-trim CT26
HKS 1.2mm MHG w/ ARP headstuds @ 85 ft-lbs.
3” Turbo Elbow, BIC DP, Cat, and custom catback with Magnaflow muffler
Ebay MBC
Bosch BOV
K&N FIPK Intake
Autometer 52mm Boost Gauge/Lotek dual pod
Lower hardpipe
Driftmotion Aeromotive AFPR kit*
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump w/12V Mod*
Spec Stage 2 6 puck sprung hub clutch
Brembo rotors
Axxis Metal Master Pads
Goodrige Stainless Lines
Suspension Techniques Swaybars*
Sumitomo HTRZII 225/50/16*
Code/DEI Remote Alarm
Aiwa head unit (CD-R, iPod)/Aftermarket front speakers

Maintenance:
New radiator in 2004
Previous owner replaced all old rubber hoses with new silicone hoses, as well as accordian hose/TB coupler
Spark plugs were brand new installed at 131,535 miles (purchase)
Belts were almost brand new at purchase
New Fuel Pulsation Dampener installed shortly after purchase
New Rear tires installed, about 1500 miles older than fronts
New Alternator Belt
Merchant's Alignment unlimited 3yr. plan purchased Summer '08; car has had 3 alignments since then.
New Fuel Pump and bracket at 136,125 miles 7/15/08
Oil changed at 136, 283 miles 9/13/08 (every ~3k)
Rear end fluid changed at 136, 512 miles 10/1/08
New FPR installed at 136,999 miles 10/22/08
Almost brand new Optima Red Top battery (Dec. ’08 )
New Driver Side Tie Rod at 137,456 miles 11/24/08
New front tires at 137,681 miles 12/12/08
New Thermostat/Coolant @ 138,110 miles 12/23/08
New Valve Cover Gaskets and Spark Plugs @ 140,106 miles 5/8/09

Cosmetics:
Paint 8.5-9/10, Interior 9/10

I must stress how clean this car is. It was garage kept for 18 years; the previous owner had to take it with him to school in Richmond when his DD died and it was parked outside during his final year of ownership. Currently, the car is garaged but was parked outside for roughly two years, though at least 75% of the time it was under a car cover. The car was repainted in 2000 (factory color), and is visually very clean. In the interest of disclosure, there are a few reasonable flaws: 1) the front does have typical rock chips from highway travel since being repainted 2) the rear bumper cover has a spider-web crack In the paint from when the first owner backed into a concrete-base lightpole 3) There are perhaps one or two very small, unnoticeable dings that you would only find if you really looked for them in proper light. Other than that the car is exceptionally clean for its age, and many have commented to me that it is the cleanest MK3 they have seen.

In the interior, the steering wheel, shift knob, and center console cover show their age. There are a few knicks and small scrapes on parts of the hard trim, other than that, the interior is perfect.

Mechanical:
The car runs very strongly. Shortly after purchasing it, the car was dyno-tested and achieved 285 rwhp/ 313 rwtq at 13psi. I always, no matter the outside temp, let the car warm up to the C/below 1000rpm before setting off. There is a bit of smoke upon startup, probably the valve stem seals. There is some valve tick as is typical of an unopened motor of this age, but the car runs strong, doesn’t overheat, and has never left me stranded and cruises like a champ on long highway trips in comfort.

Issues of possible concern:
-There is a some smoke upon start-up, probably due to the valve stem seals. Also, since moving to a dedicated garage with a lightly-colored floor, I've noticed it'll drop a few square inches of oil overnight (I always monitored the level and added when necessary). This could be due to a simple oil pain drain plug needing a new seal, or the rear main seal on its way out. I haven't had the time to thoroughly investigate, however.
-The targa top does leak, only from the driver side front corner. I hate driving in the rain and avoid doing so at all costs, and when it is raining and the car is parked its almost always under a cover, so it hasn’t been a big issue for me.
-The brake master cylinder may need to be replaced at owner's discretion. Pedal feel is a bit soft and sometimes requires one or two pumps to get a firm feel, but braking is fine. There are a few squeaks here and there as it could probably use some new brake pads.

With the car, I will include various stock parts such as: head unit, misc. engine parts, stock a-pillar interior piece, Toyota re-man stock radiator in box, TSRM, factory floor mats (excellent shape) and swaybars. I also have a Greddy oil-filter adapter that I will include.

So, that’s it. $4250, and I am relatively firm on that price considering how clean, well kept, and cared for this car is and was. No part out requests will be entertained; no joyrides will be offered. No trades, thank you.

Thank you for looking!

Last edited by GDSpeed; 06-02-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

Redlsvtec4door has disabled reputation
Default Re: '88 Supra Turbo Targa 5spd-Clean!-Harrisonburg, VA

wow beautiful supra glws
Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

bboylooby has disabled reputation

aww man...this car is sexy dude....too bad i dont have the cash or it would be mine..hahaha.....but bump
Old 06-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the compliments!

The car has been an absolute pleasure to own. It just took me on a 300mi round trip a few weekends back and another 100mi round trip last weekend, targa off, just cruising and listening to the iPod. This is the perfect car to relax in!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:27 PM
SurferRob1

surferrob1 is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW, my step dad had this same car brand new back in the day....f'n clean ride man. GLWS!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Clean car man! I think I saw you cruising down 95N one day not too long ago
Old 06-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Official MB Drifter

Bimmerdude is on a distinguished road

Very well put together writeup on the vehicle you are selling. Good luck with your sale, car looks clean and well taken cared of.

-Nick
Old 06-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses and compliments! I'm hoping she'll find a good home...

sohc_mshue, that may of been me, I was up in that area a while back!

surferrob1, interesting, the original owner was from your area, Virginia Beach if I remember correctly. I still have the dealer salesman's business card and the original owners info.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

ttt

Quick Reply: '88 Supra Turbo Targa 5spd-Clean!-Harrisonburg, VA