Notices
Import - ASIA Vehicles from Japanese, Korean, Chinese(?) manufacturers go here.

1997 Honda Civic "Type R" CW/5lug CTR Goodies

Old 11-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
omg miiiike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1997 Honda Civic "Type R" CW/5lug CTR Goodies

*THIS THREAD IS JUST TO SEE WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE.*

I purchased this vehicle from a friend of mine who was the second owner of it and took meticulous care of it since day one, the car was completely stock and purchased from an old lady before him and all the parts are AUTHENTIC OEM Honda Civic Type R or QUALITY after market (NO pepboys etc bullshit) parts and there have been NO shortcuts taken WHAT SO EVER on this vehicle and it sure does show. I get people
every day asking if it's a real Type R, the car gets way more attention than I ever thought it would-and now that has me worried about theft seeing as my Integra was stolen from my driveway around this time of 2005. I am in NO hurry to get rid of this vehicle and I am not even too sure that I really do want to get rid of it. This car is my daily driver but is more setup for autocross/road courses but if you feel the need to go fast, add a turbo kit (motor has perfect compression) and goto town.

*AGAIN, This is just a 'testing waters' thread.. If I don't sell the car or trade it-I'm not losing sleep over it, I LOVE this car to death but want to see what other offers I could get.*

I'm really not too sure what to ask for this, maybe somewhere in the 10ish area but I am accepting offers NOT TRADES FOR CARS UNLESS ITS WRX/IS300/S2000 AND MUST BE STOCK. If you don't like the price, build the car on your own.

A little history from the previous owner (2nd owner, good friend of mine):

This 1997 Honda Civic has been an ongoing project for the past 4 years. Incidentally, there is quite a history with this car.

I had previously owned a 1996 Acura Integra GSR which made me fall in love with Honda Performance Tuning/Driving. The Integra was a great car, but I wanted to really get my hands dirty and actually "build" something. What better idea than to restore a Civic? The two cars are built on very similar platforms and many of the parts are interchangeable with little or no modification (brakes, engines, seats, etc). I had always loved the lines of the 96-00 Civic hatchback, especially the Civic Type R of Japan. I was able to find a used Civic in decent shape so I sold my Integra and fully committed myself to breathing new life into the Civic.

There were a few downsides to the Civic. Let's face it, it is an entry level economy car...not designed with performance in mind. The whopping 106HP was alarmingly less than the 170HP of the Integra. Also, the Civic lacked many of the luxuries that I had enjoyed with the Integra. I had to get used to uncomfortable seats, rolling down the windows, listening to the radio, and the obvious lack of power steering. Oh, one more thing. The Civic was BLACK. In my opinion, it is the absolute worst color for a car. It absorbs way too much heat, shows dirt and scratches, and makes it very hard to see the lines of the car.

Well the first thing that needed to go were the seats. I had kept a set of Integra Type R seats that I had in my Integra and swapped those in. Now at least I didn't go sliding into the door when taking a turn at any substantial speed. Next, something had to be done about the severely under-powered 1.6L SOHC engine. It was great for gas mileage, but at times it was even scary to drive. Merging on the highway was especially frightening. Not to mention the car handled horribly with its soft suspension and tiny tires. So what to do about this? Well the Integra has a nice engine, good brakes, and decent wheels. How about we use them? I purchased a complete engine/transmission swap from a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market - aka Made in Japan for those non-Honda people) Integra Type R. This 1.8L DOHC Vtec engine was rated at 200HP, almost doubling the output of the measly 1.6L Civic engine. I decided to also buy a set of used brakes and wheels from an Integra Type R as well. For suspension I decided to go with Tein HA coilovers. I had never gone so far as to remove an engine and I certainly did not have the tools, space, experience needed so I entrusted Jason Hunt to do my engine swap.

After it was finished, the Civic felt like completely different car. Being a few hundred pounds lighter than the Integra, the Civic was faster, more agile, and just plain better than the Integra ever had. It was also much safer. Better suspension and all wheel disc brakes had made the car handle like a champ and the new engine made driving FAST a little bit too easy. I no longer missed the sunroof, power windows, cruise control, and power steering. The car put a smile on my face every time I got behind the wheel.

The smiling lasted for about 2 months.

My Civic was stolen and found a week later, stripped of the engine and just about everything else except the brakes and wheels. I had always known about the threat of theft with Hondas, but I never thought it would happen to me. Two years of owning the Integra and no problems, two months of owning the Civic and I lose it all. After a long battle with my insurance company over receipts and records for my car, I was able to buy my Civic back to start over.

Rebirth

So what do you do with the shell of a car? The first thing I could think of was getting NEW PAINT. Time to get rid of that horrible black and repaint the entire thing with something else. But what color? I had always loved Championship White, the color Honda reserves for its "R" models. It is probably the best shade of white I have ever seen. It has so many different tones depending on the lighting, but always looks good. After many months of sitting around at Expert Autobody in Baltimore the car finally got a new coat of paint. I had the dented panels fixed, dings pulled, and even added a few new goodies from the Japanese Civic Type R. After spending months of pulling apart the Civic and getting it prepped for a FULL rebuild, I had learned quite a bit about my car. This time, with the help of some friends, I installed the new engine and suspension. A very valuable learning experience I might add. The car looked better and drove better ever. It was almost literally a new car. The only downside was the constant paranoia and fear of theft. To this day I am still not comfortable leaving my car in public places for long periods of time.

After having my car long enough to really start enjoying it and using it for what I originally wanted to do, I started getting into Autocross and HPDE events. Even though the car is no slouch in a straight line, I don't have any interest in pursuing drag racing as a hobby. Taking the car around turns at speed is much more exhilarating.

Hopefully there will be many more years of fun to come!

Onto the current specifications of the vehicle:

* 1997 Honda Civic DX
* Championship White Paint
* OEM Honda Civic Type R Headlamps
* OEM Honda Civic Type R Grille
* OEM Honda Civic Type R Mirrors
* OEM Honda Civic Type R Front Chin Spoiler
* OEM Honda Civic Type R Wing

Interior

* OEM Acura Integra GSR Front Seats
* OEM Honda Civic Type R Momo™ Steering Wheel w/ SRS
* OEM Honda CRV Gauge Cluster (pretty rare)
* OEM Honda Civic GSR Shift Knob
* OEM Honda S2000 Radio/CD Unit
* OEM Honda Civic Type R Door Panels (Red)

Brakes/Suspension/Wheels

* Acura Integra Type R Brake Conversion
* Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines
* Cobalt GT Sport Brake Pads (Front)
* Axxis Ultimate Brake Pads (Rear)
* Honda Civic EX Front Sway Bar (22mm)
* Acura Integra Rear Sway Bar (23mm)
* Aspec Racing Rear Subframe Reinforcement Kit
* Ksport Rear Lower Control Arms
* OEM Honda Civic Type-R Suspension
* Korbach Frame Locks
* OEM Honda Integra Type R 15x6 Wheels

Motor

* Acura Integra LS (B18B1) Motor (60k miles)
* DC Sports Integra Type R Header
* FRESH LS Transmission
* Acura Integra Type R Clutch
* Acura Integra Type R "B" Pipe
* Carsound OBD1 Cat
* Wiretucked Engine Bay (Painted CW as well)

Last edited by omg miiiike; 11-23-2007 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Another picture
Old 11-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Blah!

flat is infamous around these partsflat is infamous around these partsflat is infamous around these partsflat is infamous around these partsflat is infamous around these partsflat is infamous around these partsflat is infamous around these partsflat is infamous around these partsflat is infamous around these partsflat is infamous around these partsflat is infamous around these parts
Default Re: 1997 Honda Civic "Type R" CW/5lug CTR Goodies

ttt for an extremely clean car! good luck with the sale.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:48 PM
Keeping It Real !!

ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer

price , are you close to the nova area .. if so let me know
Old 11-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride famlyride

bump for a clean ass ek. thats how i want mine to look like
Old 11-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

will_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond reputewill_rex has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ravenracer
price , are you close to the nova area .. if so let me know
he put 10ish in the thread, and if you look under his avitar is says DC metro. I'm assuming he's in the NOVA area.

Good luck with your sale. I'm subscribing to see how much you actually get for this.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:34 PM
Mint Chocolate

vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd

is the crv cluster a direct fit?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:49 PM
CTR
ACCOUNTANT

CTR has disabled reputation

a beautiful car.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:24 AM

tatmonster has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by vw4clyd
is the crv cluster a direct fit?
Yes it is.... Awesome car man.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:35 AM
Banned

omg miiiike is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I'm not all that far from NOVA .. The price is in the air right now, I really have no idea how much to sell this for .. I know what is put into it is around 11k alone and the body has NO DENTS and maybe one ding, the front lip will need repainting if it bothers you that much and there are a few paint chips and thats about it ..
Old 11-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Mint Chocolate

vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd

beautiful car can i see pics of the interier would like to see the cluster in the car.

Quick Reply: 1997 Honda Civic "Type R" CW/5lug CTR Goodies