Notices
Import - ASIA Vehicles from Japanese, Korean, Chinese(?) manufacturers go here.

1990 Mazda RX-7 GTU, It's pretty low...

Old 07-07-2012, 08:47 AM
[OO=[___]=OO]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88
Default 1990 Mazda RX-7 GTU, It's pretty low...

* Name: Pierce Ford
* Means of Contact: PM me here, or call/text me: 804 two one eight 5117. I don't answer numbers I don't know so leave me a message.

* Description: I HATE "Testing Waters" threads.

That being said...

Testing the waters on what has literally been my baby for the past 4 years, maybe 5? I have too many cars, and I'm about to get married, so I think it's time to get rid of some of the toys. Posting this one tentatively, because I'm not sure I'm ready to see this one go yet. The description is quite long, scroll down for pictures.

The body has about 176,xxx miles on it, and the engine has 124,xxx miles on it (~52k less than the body has). Engine is almost completely stock, has Pineapple Racing engine and transmission mounts. Clutch is an Exedy Stage 2, not much life left. The transmission that is in this car is the 5th one that I'm aware of that it's had. The NA tranny's aren't super weak, but not strong enough for the amount of abuse it gets. This current tranny makes noise pretty much all the time and is hard to shift sometimes. There's also a good bit of shifter slop. Driveshaft universal joints have been replaced with Rockford Driveline replacements. The stock 3.9 differential was swapped out for an 86 GXL 4.10 limited slip unit, which no longer limitedly slips (it's just worn out and open now). Every now and then you can feel a clunk from the rear when you put the car in gear, this is because the front diff mount is broken. Doesn't affect anything, but it should be replaced, or maybe have a pinion snub installed.

The body had a Maaco paint job probably 10 years ago, but it was done by the OWNER of that Maaco for his wife, so it's probably the best Maaco job I've ever seen. That being said, it is still peeling and faded in some places. The hood had a pretty large spot right in the middle that was peeling so I replaced it with the one off my parts car. The "Rising Sunroof" was a custom piece I had made on some floor graphics vinyl. It was on my other FC before this one, so it's probably 6 years old now. It definitely draws some attention. The spoiler is all still in one piece (these things break pretty regularly). There's a sizable dent in the left front fender right in front of the well. I think this was from a deer that hit the PO if I remember the story correctly.

Interior is all stock. The PO had some trouble with the cluster surround, so it put a couple screws through the dash to hold it in. The drivers seat bolster is torn and bleh, so there's a set cover on it, which is also starting to wear through. No A pillars or headliner, took them out to replace the sunroof assembly, and never put 'em back in. The sunroof works but needs a little help popping up. The stereo and rear speakers have been replaced, Kicker speakers, I think the head unit is a Sony. Nothing special, just a few Open Box cheapo things to have some music.

Suspension is all whack. Megan Racing Track coilovers front and rear (front's have camber plates). Corksport strut tower bars, front and rear. Front suspension is ALL Prothane polyurethane replacement bushings, rear control arms are as well (the kit didn't come with bushings for the rear camber arms or anything else in the rear). I have replacement rear toe links that haven't been installed, as well as Drop differential mount bushings that haven't been installed.

The wheels that are installed on it right now are stock Mitsubishi Starion wheels, 16x8 and 16x9. The tires are 195/40R16 Front and 215/40R16's Rear, Yokahoma S-Drives. Decent life left, it's been maybe 500 miles since they were installed? Probably have some camber wear... I don't think I like the way the Starions look on this car, too small maybe, but I have some other wheels I can put on it if you want something else.

I used to autocross this car regularly, did a couple drift events too. That started getting really expensive, so I just lowered it as much as I could stand and just drive it on weekends now.

I think that's probably it. All in all, it's been an AMAZING car, and ironically my most reliable car. It's been 5 years of love, blood, sweat and tears, that's for sure.

Most of the stickers will probably get removed before any sale.

* Price: I don't know what to ask for this thing. Maybe $5000? Make an offer. Will also trade for a clean, STOCK reliable car with good gas mileage. Thinking Honda's or Toyota's.

* Pics:

These next ones are from Facebook, let me know if they don't work. These wheels are one of the other sets I have available if you want them.

Last edited by Saavedro88; 07-07-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:01 AM
RXtasy

vbRX757 has disabled reputation
Default Re: 1990 Mazda RX-7 GTU, It's pretty low...

yay triangles <3 free bump because rotary
Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Registered member

Intheshadows has disabled reputation

You shouldn't change the wheels, the starion wheels look sick. Free bump, GLWS
Old 07-13-2012, 03:16 PM
[OO=[___]=OO]

Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88 Saavedro88

Thanks guys.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

stiflybi has disabled reputation

diggin the sunroof
Old 07-13-2012, 03:49 PM
[OO=[___]=OO]

Lol. Thanks. It's a little worse for the wear at this point. Lasted a lot longer than we thought it would.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

stiflybi has disabled reputation

interested in selling the wheels?
Old 07-14-2012, 07:57 AM
[OO=[___]=OO]

Originally Posted by stiflybi
interested in selling the wheels?
For the right price, sure.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

VaRipTide has disabled reputation

Engine Bay and Interior pics?
Old 07-15-2012, 01:33 PM
[OO=[___]=OO]

Both are totally stock, but I'll try to get some this week.

Quick Reply: 1990 Mazda RX-7 GTU, It's pretty low...