Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

WHat are problems with a bike that has been in the rain for a long time?

Old 06-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond repute
Default WHat are problems with a bike that has been in the rain for a long time?

I know someone selling a 05 Raven Edition R6. The bike has ~5K miles. The bike has been dropped but just while parked (tipped over). The only thing is the dude stopped riding it and has been sitting outside for about a year now. What are some things I should look at? The bike started but it was a smoky show for a couple seconds then we just turned it off. The bike is a one owner and how much do you think I should offer him?

Cliffs:
Problems with bike left outside for ~1 year
How much to offer.
What would I have to replace if I got it?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:51 PM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum
Default Re: WHat are problems with a bike that has been in the rain for a long time?

squeeky brakes? lol
Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random
Default Re: WHat are problems with a bike that has been in the rain for a long time?

relays
fuel if it was not running for awhile
oil

just from the top
Old 06-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

rusty cables/controls or just some surface rust. No big worries as you can ride in the rain everyday and be fine.

smoke is a definite worry though. Def need a real mechanic to check it out and make sure its fine.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:29 PM
miss my 2 wheels

brokemyR1 is an unknown quantity at this point

taking it to a shop would be the best option. i wouldn't believe the rain to have caused any severe damage, since my R1 sat/rode through many showers. but a bike sitting for a year with all it's fluids and gas could cause problems.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

MR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond reputeMR ED has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. Thanks. The dude is selling the bike for 4.5K. Is this reasonable? How much should I offer him? Depending on if I can get the funds fast enough I'll get a bike guru to take a look at it in MOCO, MD.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Also the bike was not covered.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:16 PM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

need new tires, the smoke is nothing.. as q said, could just be gas oil, ect.... just make sure it doesnt smoke after those couple of seconds and that it did it only that first time
Old 06-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

NoRider has disabled reputation

I would run it as little as possible until you get the gas and especially the oil changed. Not real knowledgeable but I'm pretty sure that oil can get real viscous if not treated for winter and if not flushed, the bike basically has no lubrication.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Lewis is an unknown quantity at this point

If the bike starts on its own I would not worry too much. Just give a good tune and lube after you buy it.

Quick Reply: WHat are problems with a bike that has been in the rain for a long time?