Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Veypor HUD

Old 05-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Veypor HUD

Anyone heard anything or know anyone that has personally used one of these systems? I'd really like one if I end up on the track, but they would be nice even for street riding I would think.

http://www.veypor.com/hud.html
Old 05-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve
Default Re: Veypor HUD

Looks cool.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:48 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

i just put one on a gsxr750 a lil while ago. what did you want to know about it?

you have to run the veypor or vr2 guages to use the HUD. they're expensive, and IMO, not worth the money. none of the readings with the exception of the speedo are accurate. the digital tach responds slow, and is very jumpy. the gear position indicator doesn't have a direct link to the bike in any way. the ECU pretty much guesses what gear your in based on rpm, speed, etc. it also doesn't react very fast, if at all. it also doesn't have a provision (well, not on the one i installed) for a temp guage. there are much better guages out there for alot less money, but, they don't have HUD's.

all the "performance data" that the guages give is estimations. it's basically a digital gauge setup with a built in g-tech performance meter. it's also not very accurate. the last time i ran a simulated 1/4 mile on that gsxr it posted that the bike was making over 200hp. yeah right. there's also a crapload of programming to do with the veypor to get it to function properly. the fuel guage is also "simulated", so it's also not accurate. the only direct connection to the bike is the speedo and the tach. everything else is just a computer generated guess.

a big waste of money if you ask me. the acewell guages are smaller, cheaper, more accurate, but they don't have the HUD or the "performance metering".
Old 05-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
i just put one on a gsxr750 a lil while ago. what did you want to know about it?

you have to run the veypor or vr2 guages to use the HUD. they're expensive, and IMO, not worth the money. none of the readings with the exception of the speedo are accurate. the digital tach responds slow, and is very jumpy. the gear position indicator doesn't have a direct link to the bike in any way. the ECU pretty much guesses what gear your in based on rpm, speed, etc. it also doesn't react very fast, if at all. it also doesn't have a provision (well, not on the one i installed) for a temp guage. there are much better guages out there for alot less money, but, they don't have HUD's.

all the "performance data" that the guages give is estimations. it's basically a digital gauge setup with a built in g-tech performance meter. it's also not very accurate. the last time i ran a simulated 1/4 mile on that gsxr it posted that the bike was making over 200hp. yeah right. there's also a crapload of programming to do with the veypor to get it to function properly. the fuel guage is also "simulated", so it's also not accurate. the only direct connection to the bike is the speedo and the tach. everything else is just a computer generated guess.

a big waste of money if you ask me. the acewell guages are smaller, cheaper, more accurate, but they don't have the HUD or the "performance metering".

Damn Steve, you summed up everything I wanted to know without me directly asking, haha. I mainly wanted for the speedometer and gear indicator. I've come to an understanding with the R1 where I know when i should shift from the sound it makes, but if im not paying real attention to it I sometimes forget what gear i'm in for 4-6, 1-2 have distince sounds and feelings, and 3rd as that feel of well.....you know....3rd gear?

Basically I want the HUD and was seeing if paying for the other garbage to go with it and use it was worth the money, but it sounds like its not. Cool little gadget nonetheless though. Thanks for the input
Old 05-11-2007, 10:36 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

look around, there are other HUD's that tap into the existing guages. if all you want is the disply, that's probably the best route. no sense getting rid of your factory gauges that work properly to put in a set of digital guages that are so inaccurate.

basically that veypor setup is a big bicycle computer. it reads the wheel speed with a magnetic pickup, and you have to glue a small magnet to your wheel or brake rotor for it to work.

i just don't trust a computer to "guess" what gear i'm in, how much gas i have, etc. that, and the veypor is not 100% waterproof. not worth the $350-$400 they go for to me.

while we're on the subject though, if anyone is looking for a small digital gauge setup check these out, i can get sweet deals on thse thru a group buy plan on another site i'm on all the time :http://www.electrosport.com/electros...eedo_2700.html
http://www.electrosport.com/electros...eedo_3900.html

these actually hardwire into the bike, so they work right. i may be picking one up for the 954 in the near future.