Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

VA Pilot Cover Page: 2009 makes the deadliest year for bike crashes

Old 08-18-2009, 04:57 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough
Default VA Pilot Cover Page: 2009 makes the deadliest year for bike crashes

Directly from the VA Pilot

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/08/week...e-09-deadliest

Weekend motorcycle crashes make '09 deadliest

Fatal motorcycle accidents in South Hampton Roads

By Cindy Clayton
Patrick Wilson
The Virginian-Pilot
© August 18, 2009

Already this year, more than twice as many people have been killed in motorcycle wrecks in South Hampton Roads than in all of 2008.

The deaths of two men in Virginia Beach during the weekend bring the total number of motorcycle fatalities in the five cities so far this year to 13. Last year, six people died in motorcycle wrecks. In 2007, there were 10 fatalities; in 2006, there were 7.

The deaths of Scott Allen Neill, 40, and George Michael Watts, 39, in separate crashes also marked the fourth time this year that police have investigated multiple motorcycle fatalities within a week.

Warmer weather tends to draw more people to their motorcycles and to the roads, said Adam Bernstein, a Virginia Beach police spokesman and motorcycle rider.

“You’ve got your hard-core riders that ride year-round, then you have most of us who are the fair-weather riders,” Bernstein said. “When it starts to warm up, you see a lot more bikes out.”

Bernstein said that along with a safety course offered at Tidewater Community College and at Bayside Harley Davidson in Portsmouth, military bases also have safety courses. He also recommends riders buy helmets certified and made by reputable companies and completely avoid alcohol before going for a ride.

“Riding the bike isn’t the hard part. The hard part is watching what everybody else is doing,” Bernstein said. “Your reaction time slows down, and reaction time is paramount on a motorcycle.”

In this weekend's fatalities:

Neill and a female passenger were riding a 2001 Harley Davidson motorcycle south in the 800 block of Daimler Drive about 6:40 p.m. Saturday when Neill drove straight on a curve, leaving the left side of the road, hitting a mailbox and then a power pole, said Officer Margie Long, a police spokeswoman. Alcohol was a factor and Neill was not wearing a helmet, she said. He died on the way to Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital. The passenger also was taken to a hospital where she was in stable condition. Her name was not released.

In the second crash, at 7:50 p.m. Saturday, Watts and a female passenger were riding east on Witchduck Road to the intersection with Alfriends Trail, near Sentara Bayside Hospital. The motorcycle struck a BMW sedan that had stopped at a stop sign on Alfriends at Witchduck before pulling away, seeing the motorcycle and stopping when it was struck on the driver’s side of the car, a police news release said. Watts, of Virginia Beach, died at the scene and the passenger was taken to a hospital. Her name was not released. She had broken bones and was in stable condition. Alcohol use by Watts was considered a factor in the crash.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:06 AM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random
Default Re: VA Pilot Cover Page: 2009 makes the deadliest year for bike crashes

NTW
Old 08-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Registered member

IrRelevant IrRelevant IrRelevant IrRelevant IrRelevant IrRelevant IrRelevant IrRelevant IrRelevant IrRelevant

Drinking and riding...no sympathy from me.

Sad that it has to be this way.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 AM
vangorder

kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox

Originally Posted by IrRelevant
Drinking and riding...no sympathy from me.

Sad that it has to be this way.
Troof.

The woman in the first accident is at my command and is catching a lot of shit for even getting on the bike..
Old 08-18-2009, 06:55 AM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

when you are an idiot, you are an idiot. Sad though.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

don't make fun of me, but what does NTW stand for?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:55 AM
vangorder

kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox

Not Thread Worthy
Old 08-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

I give no sympathy to anyone that rides or drives drunk and wrecks. Simple as that. Now coming from someone that was recently hit on my motorcycle by a car, the statement they made is very true. 9 times out of 10 you have to be more worried about everyone in their cars more then worrying about yourself which in turn to some people can take their focus off riding. I was very lucky the night I got hit and walked away with minor leg issues. Now if I wasnt a defensive rider and constantly watching my back I probably would have died that night and been added to the list seeing as that I avoided a head on collision with a car for the most part at least. drivers dont care or look out for us on motorcycles. Its sad but its true.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

lol
Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Sammy has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by vangorder
Troof.

The woman in the first accident is at my command and is catching a lot of shit for even getting on the bike..
It's a big responsibilty getting on the back of a bike. If there was drinking involved she deserves to answer to her command. Two got on that bike. No sympathy for her.