Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

two stroke questions

Old 09-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steronz steronz steronz steronz steronz
Default two stroke questions

i'm picking up an old suzuki two-stroke dirt bike in a few weeks, and as dumb as it sounds, this is the first two stroke motor i've ever owned. so what should i bring along to fuel it? 87 octane? do i need to put oil in the gas, or is there a seperate oil container? what kind of oil?

thanks for answering my stupid questions... flame away if you want.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:10 AM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: two stroke questions

You need to run premix, 87 octane should be fine as long as the motor isnt heavily worked.

USE GOOD OIL!!!!! Premix it 50:1
Old 09-27-2005, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

depends on what model it is, some are premix and some have an oil injector and you just fill the fuel tank with fuel and the oil tank with oil, but alot of times on models like that people will removed the oil injector and just pre-mix the oil in the tank themselves

he's right on about using good oil, but i'd say 50:1 is a bit high, unless your using race gas, fully synthetic oil, and actually racing it to a level where you might benefit from the extra power of a leaner mixture and are rebuilding your top end every other weekend then yea thats a good ratio, but if its an old bike and your just playing with it in some fields i'd stay closer to 32:1, your top end will most likely last longer, but running that rich you might start fouling plugs, but at $2.50 a piece its not a big deal and you might be able to work that out anyways by messing with the jetting

but the important question is what year, model, and size is it?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

steronz steronz steronz steronz steronz

mid-70s tc 185... so you're saying like 1 oz of oil per gallon? the intarweb told me 4 oz per gallon, but i think the site was more talking about chainsaws and stuff where performance doesn't matter.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ooh I didnt realize it was REAL old, I was thinking it was a more modern 2 stroke.

If it were mine, I would probably run 87 octane, 40:1 with GOOD OIL, like golden spectro or Motul or Maxima. Do yourself a favor and spend $6 and buy a thing called "Ratio Right" any good shop will have a dozen of them in stock and know exactly what you're talking about.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane

My Hodaka takes 32:1 and it says it right on the cap - so check the bike out first. It may tell you what it wants. And the ratio means 32 parts gasoline to 1 part oil. Any cycle shop should have good 2 stroke oil on the shelf.