Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Tuggles Gap

Old 10-13-2008, 12:29 PM
wub wub wub wub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla
Default Tuggles Gap

I wanted to see if anyone was interested in going on a ride through Tuggles Gap this weekend. I know not everyone is from the 757 area, so if any of you 540 members want to ride an amazing route over the weekend, let me know.

Rode yesterday from Roanoke, up Bent Mountain, all the way through Floyd and onto the "Crooked Road" leading up to Tuggles Gap. Tuggles Gap, for my first experience, is a pretty technical road. There were a lot of North Carolina license plates in the parking lot when we pulled up at the Tuggles Gap restaurant and motel... I'd say there were around 50-75 bikes hanging out at the top when we arrived. I can't believe I've never been there before!

Anyone ever ridden it or even heard of it?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:38 PM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tuggles Gap

how far is this from the 757?... might be interested in going
Old 10-13-2008, 12:42 PM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

There are roads like this all over the Blue Ridge area. Deal's Gap just seems to be the most popular because it the "Windiest Road in America".
Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

sixRR has disabled reputation

I am from the Roanoke area and I am fairly new to this site but I think I might have been to Tuggles Gap on the way back from VIR this year. Is is it Route 8?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by TPJ
There are roads like this all over the Blue Ridge area. Deal's Gap just seems to be the most popular because it the "Windiest Road in America".
You're right. I can go in any direction from my house to ride nice twisties, but this route was just... well... for a lack of better words, kind of euphoric. Does that sound stupid? The weather was beautiful--sun beaming down, sky clear as could be, leaves changing colors, and roads as clean as you could imagine. There wasn't much traffic and they will generally wave you around when they get an opportunity, and you don't have to worry about red lights or stop signs virtually ever on the route we took.

There's also a notorious road in the area called Squirrel Spur Road. That whole area out there is relatively new to me.. I'd never really explored out that way on the bike, but I plan to go out there as often as possible now!

Here's Squirrel Spur: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O2UtBp8Z8c

I wouldn't personally travel from 757 for this particular ride but I would encourage you to come out this way when you get a chance and I'll show you some great routes and rides.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:47 PM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by sixRR
I am from the Roanoke area and I am fairly new to this site but I think I might have been to Tuggles Gap on the way back from VIR this year. Is is it Route 8?
Sure is! Were you driving/trailering or riding?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:52 PM
wub wub wub wub

Here are a few random videos from YouTube of Tuggles Gap... These roads are really a lot more technical than they seem in the videos at any type of speed. The transitions can get a little hairy if you're not on your game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpbipzkBoU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11WbWkadRW4

These are not by any means the best representation of the mountain roads we have in my area but I'm still excited about how well the ride yesterday was.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

EMCracing will become famous soon enough

deals gap has better banked roads but 4 hour tip or a 9 hour trip your choice. that road is nice and less cops
Old 10-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

sixRR has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by VanillaThrilla
Sure is! Were you driving/trailering or riding?
I rode down with a few of my buddies for the superbike weekend and stayed in Danville. We took a little detour on the way home to go up rt. 8 and come down the parkway. It was a good ride. When are you planning on going up that way?

Oh yeah i'm on a yellow 03 cbr 600rr
Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 PM
wub wub wub wub

Originally Posted by sixRR
I rode down with a few of my buddies for the superbike weekend and stayed in Danville. We took a little detour on the way home to go up rt. 8 and come down the parkway. It was a good ride. When are you planning on going up that way?

Oh yeah i'm on a yellow 03 cbr 600rr
I wonder if we crossed pathes or if we've ridden together in the past. Yellow600RR sounds familiar but I'm sure there are more than one. I was at Big Kahuna too.

How close are you to Roanoke? I'm ready to go any time. I think we're going again this weekend but I hope it's not as fast paced as it was yesterday because they're calling for much colder weather over the weekend. If I recall correctly it's not supposed to break into the 60's over the weekend. Ughhh! They said it was going to be 85º one day during the week! You free?

Quick Reply: Tuggles Gap