Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Trying to lower my front end by chopping my fork springs

Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13
Default Trying to lower my front end by chopping my fork springs

Is there any shops out there that can be trusted with that? I dont want to do it myself (although i could) but i dont want to take the chance.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Registered member

LShatch59 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Trying to lower my front end by chopping my fork springs

What type of bike?
Old 07-15-2009, 02:54 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

what? Why would you do it that way?

You can just raise the fork tubes through the tripple clamps. Do not cut your springs, thats asking for problems..
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

i'm not a suspension expert, but cutting the springs doesn't sound safe. I would suggest raising the forks where they are clamped to the triple tree.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

cbr6004sale has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sleepy13
Is there any shops out there that can be trusted with that? I dont want to do it myself (although i could) but i dont want to take the chance.

you NEVER CUT THE SPRINGS lol its not a CAR or truck Bro !!

Originally Posted by onepointone
what? Why would you do it that way?

You can just raise the fork tubes through the tripple clamps. Do not cut your springs, thats asking for problems..
above it the way to do it takes like 5-15 mins
Old 07-15-2009, 10:16 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

you can lower the forks internally, I do it all the time. it's not really hard. Just utting the springs is not a good idea.

that being said, if you can, as already said, pulling the forks thru the trees is MUCH easier, and not permanent.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Registered Member

sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13 sleepy13

its on a 1000RR. i know what you guys are saying, ive been that route before. i have done some research on it and what i gather is that lowering it from inside the forks by cutting the spring is what i am looking for. with what i have put together is the spring is to be shortened and then the forks need to be "revalved"(?) in order to give it the same factory load ratio. sound right to anybody that has more experience than me. and please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

to do it correctly is more involved than just cutting the springs. IF you just cut the springs, your front end is going to rattle like crazy. You have to make up for the shorter spring by making/installing a spacer UNDER the cartridge. Without it, every time the front end gets light (it's a litre bike, it's gonna happen) the forks will drop back down, and the when the front end gets loaded again, it's gonna bounce, alot, amungst other things.

Beyond that, those springs are progressively wound. If you cut the spring, you change the rate of it. Revalving wll help, but only to a certain degree.

I could go an all day about the physics involved in it, and what happens to a spring when you cut it, but I'm not.

It's all fine and good if it's a bike, like my girl's bike, that is just for putting around town, doesn't make much power, and was never designed to handle great to begin with, but on a sportbike, I'd steer clear of just cutting the springs, ESPECIALLY on a cartridge fork like on your bike. The spring pressure is what actually holds the cartdridge together. You have to compress the spring just to get it apart. If you cut the springs, there's nothing much to keep the cartidge as an assembly, like it was designed to be.

Damper rod (old style) forks are a different story. They're doable, I just lowered my girl's bike's forks internally, but we're talking a 45hp motorcycle from 1974, that's a whole different animal.

By all means, if you want to cut your springs, have at it, but don't say I didn't warn ya .
Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 AM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe

Originally Posted by skr00zloose

By all means, if you want to cut your springs, have at it, but don't say I didn't warn ya .
That way when you fail, because you will, and come back asking how to tune/fix/undo the fuck-up we can just point and laugh...
Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

i know the consequinces of a fuck up. im not saying i have a hacksaw in hand ready to fuck my world up. i have been riding for 8 years and wrenching for more so i got it. i have just never done anything with the forks but put them up through the triple clamp. which on what i am looking for for this bike, isnt going to work for me. that being said, if you dont have helpful tech info for me, keep the "fucking idiot" comments to yourself. and thanks to all that are helping scr00ze

Quick Reply: Trying to lower my front end by chopping my fork springs