VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   Stolen bike. (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/stolen-bike-191348/)

kwth8n 06-09-2007 10:12 AM

Re: Stolen bike.

One of my bikes was stolen back in 01, right out in front of my aprtment in va bch. they found it in georgia about 6 months later. dude didnt paint it, or change anything. he was stopped for a not signalling for a turn. what a Dummy :p . i had full coverage though, thank god, so insurance just paid up. my 07 gsxr now is fully covered. state farm baby $47 a month $250 deductable, worth every penny, plus i keep it in storage for that added protection.

s2k7 06-09-2007 10:44 AM

I just got back from Redline about installing Lojack on my bike. They want 600 for the unit, and 176 for the install. They are the only local installers around here (besides Harley Davidson) According the their website.

A bit pricey but well worth it. I have to wait 3-5 weeks though before I can get my bike in. Gayyyyyyy

djgrom 06-09-2007 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by AFwestPunk (Post 3134110)
I got so many locks for my bike it is insane. plus i have some special rigged on the bike in case someone feels foolish enough to take it

Are you doing the candy bar phone mod? It is free lo jack!!! Had a guy my friend new who recovered his integra that way. The cell phone was wired with a regulator directly to his battery and was buried in the dash. He called the cell phone company and the traced his number on that phone. You do not even need a cell phone plan to have it work you just need to buy the cell phone and a number.

You know Q if you have your bike in the back of your truck it is an even sweeter deal to just steal your truck with the bike in it.

VanillaThrilla 06-09-2007 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by djgrom (Post 3134683)
Are you doing the candy bar phone mod? It is free lo jack!!! Had a guy my friend new who recovered his integra that way. The cell phone was wired with a regulator directly to his battery and was buried in the dash. He called the cell phone company and the traced his number on that phone. You do not even need a cell phone plan to have it work you just need to buy the cell phone and a number.

You know Q if you have your bike in the back of your truck it is an even sweeter deal to just steal your truck with the bike in it.

wtf? I find that hard to believe.

GPS with cell phones only work (at least in my experience) when the cell phone is dialing an emergency call to 911, and even then it only gives you the location of the tower it's pulling from--not the pinpoint location on the dot. That narrows it down, but doesn't help like a LoJack would.

Before you argue with me, I do have technical background in the wireless industry. If other service providers use GPS differently, then so be it, but what I said holds true for the company I worked for. There's just not enough resources to be able to pull instant GPS locations for any phone, any where.

djgrom 06-09-2007 02:16 PM

I worked with radar system the past two summer and satellite communications if you want my background. The old candy bar phones like my nokia whatever the hell it is has a feature on it where I can turn on the gps at anytime and leave it on. There are very very few phones with this option. Now whether the story is true I really do not know since my friend said he knew the guy but I confirmed on my phone that I can leave the locater on or turn it off and when I dial 911 it automatically turns on. Your right loJack is a much much better system since it is integrated with police systems. I would go for a loJack or a Scorpio alarm any day over the cell phone mod (if it even work like the story goes)

oNi 06-10-2007 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by djgrom (Post 3134691)
I worked with radar system the past two summer and satellite communications if you want my background. The old candy bar phones like my nokia whatever the hell it is has a feature on it where I can turn on the gps at anytime and leave it on. There are very very few phones with this option. Now whether the story is true I really do not know since my friend said he knew the guy but I confirmed on my phone that I can leave the locater on or turn it off and when I dial 911 it automatically turns on. Your right loJack is a much much better system since it is integrated with police systems. I would go for a loJack or a Scorpio alarm any day over the cell phone mod (if it even work like the story goes)

Cliffs: Grom saw Jack Bauer use his cell phone to trace someone via GPS mod on the cellphone which grom in turn came up with the idea to use it to track a vehicle. :D

djgrom 06-10-2007 11:42 PM

who is Jack Bauer?

oNi 06-11-2007 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by djgrom (Post 3137662)
who is Jack Bauer?

What?? U serious??

Sorry to hear bout the bike too man, glad I got mine in a garage as it used to be in front of a townhouse. That really sucks to hear bout the one happening right in the Patrick Henry Mall parking lot with no evidence of the theft, that's just crazy, makes me think of all the times I park in a public lot now......

Whoswho 06-11-2007 11:28 AM

Hate to ask, since its not my thread, but I'll be living in dorms next year at ODU, how bad is it up there, theft wise? Any ideas on keeping it safe while im inside? cause I doubt I'll be able to keep an eye on it all the time, and i know that car break ins are very common. I dont think they will let me drill a hole in the concrete and I dont have a truck to keep it in. Anyone up there have any thoughts?

As for your friends bike, try looking in the local classifieds, I know my friend found his stolen Subwoofers that were taken from his car last year by looking there. Or call the Paper and warn them on the loss, and ask them to contact you or the police if someone asks to put an add out. The Daily Press is pretty cool about things like that, normally...

djgrom 06-11-2007 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by oNi (Post 3138367)
What?? U serious??

Sorry to hear bout the bike too man, glad I got mine in a garage as it used to be in front of a townhouse. That really sucks to hear bout the one happening right in the Patrick Henry Mall parking lot with no evidence of the theft, that's just crazy, makes me think of all the times I park in a public lot now......

Yes completely. I goggled Jack Bauer and came up with some show like 24 or 48 or whatever the fuck. Dude I sold my TV over three years ago now and have not watched TV since unless I am at a friends house and they have that crabbing how on. So whatever it is is ghey.