Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

SOOooo my battery died today...(help)

Old 02-04-2007, 04:06 AM
my DC5 is slow!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watch has disabled reputation
Default SOOooo my battery died today...(help)

I need help..how can you start it back up? i already jump start it once before when the battery died the 1st time (its b/c i left the high beam on too long..like 25 min)rolled it down a hill pop the clutch in 2nd gear and it worked.
Now i tired doing it again but it just wont start? could it be b/c the battery it way too low? b/c the speedo doesnt even come on or the lights. CAN i jump start it with cables with a car? it wont hurt it will it?

sorry its kinda long..and one more question i need a oil change but how many mile do you have to change the oil? I got a bike that had 7xxx, now it has
9xxx...
Old 02-04-2007, 07:59 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: SOOooo my battery died today...(help)

probably popped the main fuse. it's not in the fuse box with the rest, it's stuck on the side of the starter solenoid, usually under the front seat. should be a 30 amp fuse.

once you get it running again, i'd check the charging system and make sure it's working. running around with the high beam on shouldn't kill a battery.

once it's running, put a volt meter across the battery, and rev the bike to about 3k rpm, the volt meter should be at about 12v at idle, and around 14 or so at 3k rpm. if it doesn't go up, then the charging system isn't working.

and yes, you can jump it with a car. people always say you can't, or shouldn't do it, but as long as the car is just idling, it won't hurt anything, unless you have a very high output alternator on the car.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:21 AM
CLUTCH IT UP

Armenian has disabled reputation

2nd gear pop should work just walk it out walk it out
Old 02-04-2007, 08:44 AM
hatrs make me famous

i just re-read that, do you mean you can't get it to jump start, or you can't get it to push start?

and change your oil every 3k miles, normally. i always change the oil as soon as i get any used bike though, just to be safe.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:10 PM
my DC5 is slow!!!!!

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
i just re-read that, do you mean you can't get it to jump start, or you can't get it to push start?

and change your oil every 3k miles, normally. i always change the oil as soon as i get any used bike though, just to be safe.

i cant get it to push start 2nd grear.. ill just jump start it...
Old 02-04-2007, 03:19 PM
hatrs make me famous

that's all fine and good if you jump start it, but i'd be willing to bet you have a charging system problem. if so, it'll only run until the battery dies, then you'll be back in the same boat.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:25 PM
my DC5 is slow!!!!!

that's all fine and good if you jump start it, but i'd be willing to bet you have a charging system problem. if so, it'll only run until the battery dies, then you'll be back in the same boat.
acutally the reason why the battery is like that b/c i havent started it for a while
so im guessing ill just drive it around and it should just start up
Old 02-04-2007, 04:09 PM
hatrs make me famous

i thought you said it died because you had the high beam on?? shouldn't do that! lol, if it's just been sitting a while, thats another story though. you should probably put the battery on a good slow charge, or it might crap out on you. they don't like being completely discharged, and just letting it run for a while will only charge it so much.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Your Kneegrow

Chino has disabled reputation

trickle charge the battery...if that doesn't work it probably needs replacement.

change oil like you would a car, every 3k miles or every 5k miles depending on how hard you ride.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

cbucgo is an unknown quantity at this point

probably popped the main fuse. it's not in the fuse box with the rest, it's stuck on the side of the starter solenoid, usually under the front seat. should be a 30 amp fuse.

once you get it running again, i'd check the charging system and make sure it's working. running around with the high beam on shouldn't kill a battery.

once it's running, put a volt meter across the battery, and rev the bike to about 3k rpm, the volt meter should be at about 12v at idle, and around 14 or so at 3k rpm. if it doesn't go up, then the charging system isn't working.

and yes, you can jump it with a car. people always say you can't, or shouldn't do it, but as long as the car is just idling, it won't hurt anything, unless you have a very high output alternator on the car.

if you have a charging problem, check your rectifier and if the bike has ever been down on the left side, chances are that your stator is fried and you need a new one.

Quick Reply: SOOooo my battery died today...(help)