Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Shopping for a Jacket

Old 09-18-2004, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shopping for a Jacket

I'm looking for a motorcycle jacket. My biggest concern is protection/safety, so I assume thats gona mean leather? I went to coleman powersports and I really like the Fieldsheer Moto Bar. It has CE armor and was pretty comfertable. It's made from goatskin leather and thats why it felt so nice, but is it going to give me as much protection as cowshide? Here is a link to the jacket: http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/36-FS04-1

I also checked out the Joe Rocket velocity and the blaster. Velocity: http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/36-JR-VEL Blaster: http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/36-JR04-10 The Joe Rocket one's had the soft dual density armor. I dont know if the harder stuff is better or what. The Joe Rocket one's did have the much tougher cowhide leather, but it also makes it alot more inflexable. I believe all three jackets have a removable liner. This is going to be my only jacket so I would like it to be somewhat versatile. As far as styel goes, I want to avoid any really etravagent looking jackets. I like plain and simple. On the flip side, something with some color would be nice for visability. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Mike
Old 09-18-2004, 10:18 AM

s2k7 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Shopping for a Jacket

I personally like the style of the joe rocket Blaster, it was what i was going to orginally get but then i read about 102931023 articles about JR's quality not holding up under wrecks. Goat skin leather would be a little softer,so 1.2mm goatskin will not hold up as well as cowhide, or full-grain leather. But it will give you a substantial amount of protection still. I just received my alpinestars dyno jacket yesterday from Kneedraggers and I love it. It's not a tight fitting jacket, its more of a relax fit. The only complaint ( as well as many other people have) is that they made the shoulders alittle too big. Nothing that bothers me though. As long as the armor is in the places it needs to be and stays there thats all i care about. So thats another thing to take in consideration. The Fieldsheer is going to hug your body alittle more than the JR would. It's all in what you want. I personally, out of the 3 you listed would get the Fieldsheer.

Oh, and i don't know if your in a rush for your jacket, but dont pay extra to have the 2 day delivery crap. Just get the standard ground. It ships in 1 day anyway. They are located in Delaware, so if they have it in stock, and they ship it out monday, you'll have it Tuesday.

Last edited by s2k7; 09-18-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:26 AM

I looked at the Alpinestar dyno online and its looks pretty good. Does it have hard armor on it? Also, how comfortable is it? Would it fit a tall skinny person well (im 6'2 and about 160 pounds). How how does it get in the summer, and how warm does it keep you in the winter?

I also saw this on kneedraggers: http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/35-ICON05-1 Would that be really weird to wear under a jacket, and does it even work well?

-Mike
Old 09-18-2004, 10:59 AM

The one textile jacket that I found online and liked alot is the joe rocket alter ego: http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/...php?prodID=999 Anyone had experience with one of those?
Old 09-18-2004, 11:04 AM

s2k7 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mpg9999
I looked at the Alpinestar dyno online and its looks pretty good. Does it have hard armor on it? Also, how comfortable is it? Would it fit a tall skinny person well (im 6'2 and about 160 pounds). How how does it get in the summer, and how warm does it keep you in the winter?

I also saw this on kneedraggers: http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/35-ICON05-1 Would that be really weird to wear under a jacket, and does it even work well?

-Mike

Its actually a very comfortable jacket. The styling is great and not gaudy looking. It still needs to be broken in so as of now it's a little stiff, but i know it will go away. It has the vent's in the arms, and in the shoulders. When you unzip them you CAN feel the air going through, but i can't see wearing it in 90 degree heat. It feel's hot to me. The armor is great and is flexable. Its like a really hard foam. If you squeeze it you can barely feel it squish but it has the cut's in it and allows it to flex. Here's a pic of the armor thats in it ( the guy in this pic has it on the wrong shoulder). It will make for a really good winter jacket. The liner vest is really thin. I'm a weird build guy(big chest small shoulders with a 37inch chest, im short 5'6 with a 29inch waist. If i went down to the next size it will be way too tight in the chest, which is why its alittle baggy on me in the shoulders. But like i said before, doesnt flop around in the wind, and armor stays in place. In the summer time im probably going to get the T-Dyno Textile because i just can't see wearing this jacket in the summer.

The vest you pictured would not be weird to wear, its actually good but i wouldn't get it unless your track riding or something where your going over 100mph all the time. If you get it, take in consideration of your jacket size you order you'll probably have to go a size up

Last edited by s2k7; 09-18-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

go to newenough.com and look at their closeouts or their new stuff. Should be able to get a cheap one on there and they have an awesome return/exchange policy. Don't think you'll be able to wear one jacket year round here either. Def going to need a mesh/textile jacket for summer and a leather or full textile for the rest of the year.