VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Cycle Corner (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/)
-   -   Salvage v Clear (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/cycle-corner-41/salvage-v-clear-146378/)

djgrom 07-06-2006 10:42 AM

Salvage v Clear

I am new to the the whole bike scene, just got my license and am now looking f or a bike. I have never purchased a vehicale or anything of that nature so there are a few questions I was hoping that somebody could help me answer. The first is what are the major differences and problems of a salvage title versues a Clean/Clear title? When I purchase a bike how do I get it registerd in my name, and does the title have to be switched over too? How much, and how long does this usually take? If the bike has a salvage title, do I have to get it switched to a Clean/Clear title in order to register the bike and insure it? What sort of legal things should I look for, or ask to a potential seller? Like I said before I have never purchased any kind of vehicale before so these might seem like dumb questions sorry. Also if anybody is looking to sell a bike I have about 2k right now, so if you want hit me up. Thanks.

~grom

bambooi 07-06-2006 11:02 AM

Re: Salvage v Clear

Salvage= can't get full coverage. Harder to sell also. To get it registered and titled in your name the seller signs the title over to you and you take it to the DMV. I don't think you can make a salvage title turn into a clear one.

_____ 07-06-2006 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by bambooi
Salvage= can't get full coverage. Harder to sell also. To get it registered and titled in your name the seller signs the title over to you and you take it to the DMV. I don't think you can make a salvage title turn into a clear one.

You can get a salvage title turned into a clear one with no problem. You will also be able to get the same insurance coverage once you have a clear title.

Armenian 07-06-2006 11:29 AM

Your both wrong--you can NOT register a salvage vehicle in the state of Virginia. You have to get reciepts for parts, an estimate, fill out a VSA 56 salvage request form, email the Investigative services to be put on a waiting list, then WAIT for the inspector to call you and stop by your house to inspect your bike/paperwork. It took me about 3 months waiting. I JUST went through all this BS a few months ago on my stuntbike. U can only clear one bike per year too.

And insurance does'nt matter at all it wont be more expensive or cheaper i pay 300 per year on my cleared stuntbike.

_____ 07-06-2006 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Armenian
Your both wrong--you can NOT register a salvage vehicle in the state of Virginia. You have to get reciepts for parts, an estimate, fill out a VSA 56 salvage request form, email the Investigative services to be put on a waiting list, then WAIT for the inspector to call you and stop by your house to inspect your bike/paperwork. It took me about 3 months waiting. I JUST went through all this BS a few months ago on my stuntbike. U can only clear one bike per year too.

And insurance does'nt matter at all it wont be more expensive or cheaper i pay 300 per year on my cleared stuntbike.

Sorry it took you so long but I got mine within 3 weeks bud. And yes it does have to be inspected and you will have to prove that you bought the parts to have it repaired to be road worthy.

djgrom 07-06-2006 12:21 PM

Thank you very much for that information. That answeres alot of my questions especially because I am going to use my bike for commuting and need it right away.

_____ 07-06-2006 12:32 PM

Let me know if you need a number man. I used a lady at DMV and she made it very easy. Supper nice and helpful.

Armenian 07-06-2006 02:44 PM

i'll bet $$ it wont be as quick as 3 weeks u must've been reaaaal lucky

_____ 07-06-2006 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Armenian
i'll bet $$ it wont be as quick as 3 weeks u must've been reaaaal lucky

Honestly it moves alot faster if you have a dealers license :D

5.0-4life 07-06-2006 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by _____
Honestly it moves alot faster if you have a dealers license :D