Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Questions/help on jet kits and high mount slip ons..........

Old 06-02-2005, 04:54 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4
Default Questions/help on jet kits and high mount slip ons..........

I'll freely admit when there's something I don't know about, and jet kits would be it. I have a basic understanding of what they do and how they do it. But what exactly do the different stages do differently? Where can I get a jet kit for dirt cheap?

How about slip ons? I need a high mount...........anyone got a used one for sale? Racers are always on a budget..................
Old 06-02-2005, 05:26 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Questions/help on jet kits and high mount slip ons..........

Dynojet, Vance & Hines(I believe a repackaged DJ), Yoshimura(expensive!), and Factory all make a jet kit for your bike, from what I've seen they all only offer a stage I, they all retail for around $120 except for yosh, which is like $220, obviously you'd get them cheaper from one of your team's sponsors, or probably find one on e-bay... for the most part the difference in stages is the selection in jets, a stage III will have a more extreme size selection of jets, usually for guys running open exhausts and who have removed their air box and are running open carbs or individual pod filters, it will give you most of your power wide open and high in the rpms, more for drag racers, in your case i would imagine a stage I would be just fine

M4 offers a race mount(kind of between a regular and high mount) that retails for $290, so i'm sure you could get one dirt cheap
Old 06-02-2005, 05:43 AM
Registered Member

kwth8n has disabled reputation

I have the same bike as you. a brand new dynojet stage 1 jet kit installed and dyno tuned over at sport cycle center in norfolk was like 220 i think, give or take, i cant find the receipt right now. the way it was explained to me was the stage 1 was for street-everyday driving, the stage 2 was more for higher more steady speeds like racing so you may want to look at that and like del said teh stage 3 is extreme for people running open carbs, no filters etc to get mass air and fuel flow so it depends on what you want it for. i just drive the streets so i got the stage 1
Old 06-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Registered Member

zx12guy is an unknown quantity at this point

A jet kit shouldn't be necessary with just a slip-on.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by zx12guy
A jet kit shouldn't be necessary with just a slip-on.

depends on the bike. Most don't need one but some do. After a s/o I have tons of flat spots and popping from being lean. I've also seen tons of other bikes that never needed a jet kit
Old 06-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

update. Started doing the jet kit this weekend. Got intimidated when I got down to the carbs. Had a buddy put the jet kit in along with some stainless lines. The jets that were put in were for a bike with an exhaust. Bike ran like crap. Went back in tonight and rejetted them myself with the other set of jets in the kit. Put an extra half turn on the screw to richen it up a tad. Rode the bike and it feels great. Not running as lean and almost all the flat spots I had are gone. Also doesn't pop loudly when rolling off the gas. Its still not 100% how I want but is at about 95%.

The tools needed to actually do the work are rather basic other than needing an impact driver to get the screws off. Don't try and just turn them with a screwdriver....just get an impact driver so you don't strip them out and cause all kinds of problems. Takes about an hour or 2 to do for a person who isn't all that mechanically inclined. Def not something thats worth over $200 of work at a shop to do. I'd only go to a shop if I couldn't tune them right

BTW there is normally not a "getting them dirt cheap." You might be able to save $20-30 but you're not going to pick up a kit for $20 or anything
Old 06-06-2005, 04:02 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Originally Posted by xshanex
BTW there is normally not a "getting them dirt cheap." You might be able to save $20-30 but you're not going to pick up a kit for $20 or anything
Actually................Redline up in York will throw a stage 2 in my bike and Dyno it as many times as needed till it runs perfect............all for only 180 bucks. Sweet deal!!!!

I'm gonna follow the advice I got from Dave at Redline and not waste my money on a jet kit until I get a full exhaust system for the bike.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

zx12guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CBR600F4

I'm gonna follow the advice I got from Dave at Redline and not waste my money on a jet kit until I get a full exhaust system for the bike.
That's the smartest thing to do.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:07 AM
Registered Member

kwth8n has disabled reputation

Does that include the price of the jet kit, cause if not youll add another 100 bucks on that. sport cycle center gave me the jet kit plus the install, and the dyno tune until it was right. i have a full D&D exhaust with my stage 1 jet kit. it only added a few horsepower on the dyno, but the power curve was alot better and cleaner when they showed me the chart.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:26 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

Originally Posted by kwth8n
Does that include the price of the jet kit, cause if not youll add another 100 bucks on that. sport cycle center gave me the jet kit plus the install, and the dyno tune until it was right. i have a full D&D exhaust with my stage 1 jet kit. it only added a few horsepower on the dyno, but the power curve was alot better and cleaner when they showed me the chart.

Yes, it includes the price of the jet kit.

Quick Reply: Questions/help on jet kits and high mount slip ons..........