Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

NOOB!

Old 04-09-2005, 03:57 PM
takin it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY
Default NOOB!

i just bought Mr.6's (torrey) 99 r6. i havent rode a bike in like 10 years and that was dirt bikes. I was out all day in my moms neighborhood getting use to the clutch and shifting all over again today.

just want to thank Torrey for sharing his knowledge with me.

and i am open to any tips

heres some pics of the bike

heres me tryin to be pimp....it not workin though

Last edited by HORNY4ZORNY; 04-10-2005 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Re: NOOB!

Kick the kick stand up before putting it in first.

Oh yeah, the biggest no no is braking while in a turn/curve. Dont do it your you WILL fall over, so make sure you do all your braking before a turn/curve and maintain the same speed through it. Thats the biggest tip i think anyone can get in riding. If you have to brake while in a turn/curve, straight the bike up completely and then apply the brakes according, but try not to lock them up (especially in the front).

More tips will come to mind later, for now, im going to get drunk.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

the best tip i could give is never give up in a turn, no matter how much you think your going to fast and your not going to make it never touch the brakes and never stand it up and run off the road, just lean it harder and harder, i've seen plenty of crashes from people thinking they are going too fast, standing it up and running off the road only to crash anyways, when all of them could have easily made the turn even if they didn't think so, i've only seen one person actually crash from taking a turn too fast, but if he had gotten spooked and ran off the road he would have crashed anyways so he did the best thing and leaned it until it let go

i've a number of times had to fight that urge to grab the brakes or stand it up and run off the road because i swear i'm in the turn too fast, but i've always remind myself to trust my tires and i live through the turn only to end up going through it again later 10 or 15 mph faster later on

just remember your tires are better than you are, trust them and they will stick... but also remember to let them warm up before you get hard on the gas, hard on the brakes(specifically the front brake, the rear you can slide around a little, if you lock the front brake your on the ground wondering what just happened), or corner hard, i'd say the second biggest newbie mistake other than getting spooked and running off the road is riding too hard on cold tires, i give them atleast 10 miles of riding to get up to temp and then gradually start stepping up my speed

i'd say those off the top of my head are the two big things, just don't try and do wheelies and if you ride with a group don't feel like they are going to look down on you if you don't keep up
Old 04-11-2005, 10:31 AM
takin it all

HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY

cool cool, thansk guys for the tip so far i'm sure i will be talkin/askin both of you more questions as i come to situations.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Those have got to be the best pictures that bike has ever seen.

Sorry, i still miss her.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Custom User Title

mnchvgs79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Those guys are right about the turns, the bike WILL take WHATEVER YOU THROW AT IT, its not going to wash out on you.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:40 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Originally Posted by Mr.6
Oh yeah, the biggest no no is braking while in a turn/curve. Dont do it your you WILL fall over, so make sure you do all your braking before a turn/curve and maintain the same speed through it. Thats the biggest tip i think anyone can get in riding. If you have to brake while in a turn/curve, straight the bike up completely and then apply the brakes according, but try not to lock them up (especially in the front).

More tips will come to mind later, for now, im going to get drunk.

NEVER stand the bike up in a turn to hit the brakes; let me repeat this: NEVER do that. If you are coming into a turn too damn hot just lean the bike over as far as you can. I'd rather take the chance of holding the turn than standing up to hit the brakes and careening into the oncoming traffick lane.

You CAN hit the brakes in turns; trust me on this..........I do it all the damn time. On the brakes to the apex and accelerate on out.

I'm not saying that someone who is new to riding should be trying this on the street, but don't tell him to just never hit the brakes in a turn, bad advice. And never get up straight in a turn to hit the brakes. Just lean over some more and ride it on through the turn.

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
the best tip i could give is never give up in a turn, no matter how much you think your going to fast and your not going to make it never touch the brakes and never stand it up and run off the road, just lean it harder and harder, i've seen plenty of crashes from people thinking they are going too fast, standing it up and running off the road only to crash anyways, when all of them could have easily made the turn even if they didn't think so, i've only seen one person actually crash from taking a turn too fast, but if he had gotten spooked and ran off the road he would have crashed anyways so he did the best thing and leaned it until it let go
Awesome advice Del.....................I didn't read what you posted before I felt the need to throw in my 1 cent!

Last edited by CBR600F4; 04-12-2005 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:48 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Originally Posted by mnchvgs79
Those guys are right about the turns, the bike WILL take WHATEVER YOU THROW AT IT, its not going to wash out on you.
I would however say that this is going a little bit too far......................

The front WILL wash out on you depending on road conditions alone. Hit some sand while burning into a turn and see what happens. Let alone hitting the brakes on top of that!
Old 04-12-2005, 04:51 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by CBR600F4
NEVER stand the bike up in a turn to hit the brakes; let me repeat this: NEVER do that. If you are coming into a turn too damn hot just lean the bike over as far as you can. I'd rather take the chance of holding the turn than standing up to hit the brakes and careening into the oncoming traffick lane.

You CAN hit the brakes in turns; trust me on this..........I do it all the damn time. On the brakes to the apex and accelerate on out.

I'm not saying that someone who is new to riding should be trying this on the street, but don't tell him to just never hit the brakes in a turn, bad advice. And never get up straight in a turn to hit the brakes. Just lean over some more and ride it on through the turn.
Im telling him exactly what the tell you in the MSF course. Im not saying that he should only do this if he thinks he cant make a curve/turn, im talking in fearful situations in general. "Hey look, there's gravel in the apex!! Yeah, ill just lean harder and the let the bike slide out from under me rather than try and straightin the bike out before i get there and stop." So to say never stand it up in a turn would be a fatal mistake that you would be leading people to. It all depends on the situation really, and maybe i didnt clarify it, but that doesnt mean never straightin it out, because there WILL come a time when it needs to be done.

You can brake in turns, but since your new to street riding Jayson, my suggestion was that you never hit the brakes in the turn. Its not that you CANT do it, its just best that you dont right now until your completely used to riding. And even then i wouldnt even try using them because its a bad habbit. MSF course teaches the basic physics that say if your in a lean and you brake while in the lean, you break constant power to the wheels keeping it stable and it will most likely fall over. I then watched the instructor demonstrate what he meant, and then later on that day i watched a student do it (because they didnt listen). Again, all this depends on the situation, so there really isnt a NEVER in any style of riding because it may work in some situations and not in others.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:12 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

Originally Posted by Mr.6
So to say never stand it up in a turn would be a fatal mistake that you would be leading people to.

I agree that situations are different; but standing a bike up while already "in" the turn is a no no. If you are already in the turn there is nothing you should be doing but trying to finish the turn, if you wanna try and hit the brakes or not is up to you. Standing the bike up means you've given up on the turn and are preparing to wreck; plain and simple. There is no way you can stand a bike up and come to a complete stop while staying in your lane if you are already in the turn. You're playing with fire; going into oncoming traffick at the worse and running off the road at the best.

If you can't accept that then I'll give up and let someone else try and explain it to you.

Last edited by CBR600F4; 04-12-2005 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: NOOB!