Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

newbie riding question

Old 05-18-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoRider has disabled reputation
Default newbie riding question

I was reading this thing from DMV and they said if you want to make a hard right turn you PUSH on the right handle bar, so the wheel turns left and you lean right. When I rode for the first time i leaned, but didn't do the handle bar thing, and it felt like it took the bike a while to lean with me.
What I want to know is if you are always suppose to do this, even when your riding slow and if doing this will make the bike feel more responsive. I understand that its not the bike thats acting wierd, its just the fact that I have no skill, but I am interested in whats the BEST way to turn and best habits to learn. Thanks
Old 05-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Swampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie riding question

You would only push on the right handle bar at low speeds and only on something with actual handlebars. Do what makes you feel comfortable in low speed turns. The DMV stuff is written to cover a very broad approach.

If it's a bike with clip ons, you'd actually do the opposite. Riding a motorcycles isn't really something you can read about. It's something you have to do, to learn.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by Swampass
Riding a motorcycles isn't really something you can read about. It's something you have to do, to learn.
I agree with the general concept of what you said, but at the same time I disagree.

I think it all depends on where you get your information from. Experience is the best way to learn, but there's nothing wrong with reading. However, reading the information the DMV gives you may not be the best... Try reading Keith Code's book. A lot of the things (maybe even all of the things) you learn regarding track riding apply towards street riding too. Maybe you should even consider doing a track day, or attending the California Superbike School when they swing through next time.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

NoRider has disabled reputation

I would honestly be riding around the neighborhood right now, but my bike is in Winchester where we are going to fix it so until I get it back I can't ride at all. I do plan on taking the MSF though, hopefully that will help a lot.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:42 AM
misunderestimated

Yamamaha has disabled reputation

its all in how much seat time you have. You will pick it up, but definitly from what i hear, is you learn a whole lot - even people with a lot of experience - if you go to the track and have the professionals tell you how to ride. Just take your time.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah believe it or not, any time you turn (except extremely low speed probably 5mph or under) you are in fact COUNTER steering. go to a parking lot and go straight...push on your right handle bar and you're gonna go left. push on the left handle bar and you're gonna go right. welcome to the wonderful world of riding...p.s. if you ever do a track day, you'll be addicted
Old 05-18-2007, 11:00 AM
aka GSXR

Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy Stea1thy

Originally Posted by NoRider
I would honestly be riding around the neighborhood right now, but my bike is in Winchester where we are going to fix it so until I get it back I can't ride at all. I do plan on taking the MSF though, hopefully that will help a lot.
ya, MSF is the best way to learn to ride imo, I was never even on a scooter or moped before taking the class, and they teach u from step one. But yeah, its like snowboarding, you can learn the concept from reading, but you can only really learn the art by doing it yourself. Anyways, isn't it called countersteering? basically where you turn the front tire/handle bars in the opposite direction you want to go. i.e. make a left turn, push down/forward on the left handlebar making the wheel turn to the right, therefore leaning the bike to the left.

"Experience is the hardest teacher because she gives the test first and the lesson afterwards."

but remember

"No Risk, No Reward"
Old 05-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Registered Member

Swampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond reputeSwampass has a reputation beyond repute

I should amend what I said.

Reading is a very good preface to learning how to ride. You can learn the theory of how everything works. You must ride to understand that theory and its application.

I didn't mean to sound like reading about it being a futile effort. It's not.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Swampass
If it's a bike with clip ons, you'd actually do the opposite.
negative, the type of handlebars has NOTHING to do with it. on ANY two wheeled vehicle, even a bicycle, you HAVE to countersteer in order to initiate a turn, or to turn in harder. that's just physics. you ALWAYS do it, you may just not notice it as much in certain situations.

push left-go left, push right-go right

the faster you go, the more you'll have to do it, the more you'll notice it.

at parking lot speeds, you are just going so slow that you wouldn't notice it, since that whole principal is about getting the bike to lean, which you don't generally do much of in a parking lot.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

sitting at my desk, reinacting what you said....

shit! you are right. It's the opposite when you are going very slow. When you are actually steering the bike with the front wheel vs. the lean. You pull on the bar to go the direction you want to go...but at very low speeds.

I'll shut up now.

Quick Reply: newbie riding question