Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

need help on a starting problem

Old 02-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cbucgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help on a starting problem

OK. I have a 2001 r1. about two weeks ago while the bike was all torn down getting ready for paint, I had a new clutch kit put in and had the valves adjusted. The bike ran perfect after that being done. So I went and sent the plastics out to get painted as that was one of the last things I wanted done. While the plastics were out, I replaced the spark plugs. I made sure before putting the new plugs in, that they were the same plugs. I changed them one at a time to make sure no wires got crossed. Today I got the plastics back, put them on, filled the tank with 2 gallons of gas 93 octane, and went to fire it. I'll admit I prolly flooded it. So I let it sit and sit and sit and could never get it started. Here's the part I don't understand......When using NO choke and giving it NO throttle, the bike tries to kick over like its flooded or something. When giving it any gas or choke at all, the bike just turns and turns and turns with no fire. I checked all the plugs and make sure they are getting fire. I checked the petcock to make sure fuel was coming out. I checked the gas line that goes to the carb. and thats getting gas just fine. Can anyone think of whats wrong here?????????
Old 02-08-2005, 04:15 AM
Registered Member

seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: need help on a starting problem

01 r1's are carb? well, you're gettin spark and gettin fuel...just need air...check all wires etc. my friend's bike did the same thing (fuel injected). we unplugged both harnesses on the ecu and plugged em back in and it fired right up. did the tank get painted too?
Old 02-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by seanazzy
01 r1's are carb? well, you're gettin spark and gettin fuel...just need air...check all wires etc. my friend's bike did the same thing (fuel injected). we unplugged both harnesses on the ecu and plugged em back in and it fired right up. did the tank get painted too?

ya the tank got painted too. the gas tank was taken off and a rubber piece was used to cover the hole, and the petcock valve and such came out and taped over. i've double checked all hoses and they are all connected. and i've unplugged some wires. ill try more. lol. any other guesses.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

anyone w/ ideas???
Old 02-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

i saw in the other post you had a battery tender hooked up to it, think it could be a weak battery? have you tried starting it while jumping it off a car or extra battery that you know is full?
Old 02-09-2005, 06:18 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
i saw in the other post you had a battery tender hooked up to it, think it could be a weak battery? have you tried starting it while jumping it off a car or extra battery that you know is full?
Thats what I was thinking.

Weak batteries will get you that turn over/fire effect without actually turning over. I would suggest a new battery just for shits and giggles.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

ya its not the battery. i just drained it from trying to start the damn thing. i'm starting to think the carbs have gummed up. the bike sat for a month or so without being ran. so last night i took the carb bowls off and cleaned them all and they did have some dirt on them. but not i can't get the throttle cables hooked back up. i tried for like 2 hours last night. its just a bitch. so i have to get that done somehow, and then put it all together and hope that was my problem.

P.S.- I had the bike running yesterday for like an hour, but i could barely give it any gas. Then I let it sit a while, and could never get it started again. Also, I replaced the spark plugs again last night.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:26 AM
Registered Member

seanazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

i thought those were FI....i don't know much about carbs but good luck man
Old 02-09-2005, 06:39 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Now its sounds like your carbs are out of sync. You could do it yourself (which is sure to be a HUGE bitch), or take it to a shop and have it synched (something like $80-125 i think, depends on the shop).
Old 02-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by seanazzy
i thought those were FI....i don't know much about carbs but good luck man
98-01 carb
02-05 FI

it can't hurt to have cleaned the carbs anyways, so see what happens after you get it all back together

Quick Reply: need help on a starting problem