Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Need help

Old 03-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lookatmy6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help

I'm wondering if anyone knowledgeable with an 01 honda cbr f4i would be willing to take my bike for a little ride. I'm having a lot of rattling and it feels like the front end is really loose. Would anyone on here be willing to give it a little ride around the neighborhood and give me your opinions on what / if anything is wrong.

I've read on CBR forums that the cvtl ( or something like that ) tends to get loose on these bikes and cause a rattle between 5 - 7000 ish rpms. I thought that's what it was at first, but the rattle doesn't sound similar to what they described it as, and it starts to rattle from 3k rpms until about 6k.

Let me know! Thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2007, 04:13 AM
Registered Member

tundrafiend01 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need help

Your best bet will be to wait till skr00zloose gets back from Colorado. He should be back in about 1.5 weeks. Shoot him a PM and see what he can do for you.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:59 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

Yea that year F4i is notorious for the Cam Chain Tensioner to not work properly causing a rattle, the rpm isn't exact so theres still a good chance thats what it is. Check with your Honda dealer, its not a recall that I'm aware of but I think we repaired a few for free out of warranty as good will service, but that was probably for people who bought the bike new from us. Its not expensive and relatively easy to change but I'd have someone knowledgable such as skr00zloose look at it first.

As for the front end feeling loose first make sure your tire pressure is set correctly. If thats good then make sure you have plenty of tread left, front tires can be worn out easily even if theres plenty of tread, if they get run with too low of pressure for too long the tires will warp unevenly or "cup", which will make the bike feel terrible even if you've got lots of tread left, alot of times you can just look at the tire and see they are worn unevenly but you can try running your hands all along the tread and you might be able to feel if its uneven. If both of those are good then I would have someone make sure your steering stem bearings or torqued properly or worn out.

And when you say it feels loose are you comparing it to another bike? I know riding some different model bikes sometimes they do feel really odd in the front end compared to what I'm used to riding until you get used to them so if its new to you it could just be that, but its worth having a look at.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Alwayslast is an unknown quantity at this point

when did you start noticing the noise?
how many miles on the bike now?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

lookatmy6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well about 2 weeks ago some lady backed into the front of it while it was parked. I got all her insurance information but decided not to call them up seeing as she hit it only going 1 - 2 mph. (This happened on parking along the street in the pembroke area). On the ride home I was riding really conservative just incase there was unseen damage to the front. I thought everything was alright, but the next time I rode it, I noticed the engine sounded different. It was really noticeable at about 3k rpm's to about 6500 then it kinda goes away. I'll pm Skrooze in a few days if I can't get any other help or figure this out.

It's suppose to be really nice this weekend and I'm itching to ride.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:38 AM
oNi
Urusai! Baka!

oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi

Ya +10 on hitting skrooze up to look at it, he's good at what he does and can definitely tell you whats up with it.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:11 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

i'm back. bring it by mang. noises are generally hard to diagnose without hearing it myself.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

tundrafiend01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
i'm back. bring it by mang. noises are generally hard to diagnose without hearing it myself.
Ohhh shit. skr00z is back. Lock up your broken bikes, nothing is safe anymore. RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!

Btw, welcome back ;-).
Old 03-28-2007, 06:54 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

lol, thanks homie.