Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

My track bike - 91 Honda VFR 750 re-work thread. 56k go home.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Doing work mofo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down
Default My track bike - 91 Honda VFR 750 re-work thread. 56k go home.

Here is my bike from beginning to current. I picked it up back in the beginning of March. Wanted to get back in to riding again. Really wanted to get into track riding. Now before you think that what I have done is a waste of money, or something you wouldn't do. I will tell you, feel free to speak your mind. This is the bike I want to track. So on to the pics.

When I first got the bike this is what it looked like :

Within the first few days, I ended up dropping it on the trailer. Landing on the side rail of the trailer. See carnage below.

So after several weeks of locating replacement panels, and bashing my head against hard objects. I took all her clothes off. The decided while I had it down for paint, better make a few mods while I elbow deep.

Starting with the exhaust. The OEM is very silent. Not something I was a fan of, so I decided to make a shorty out of the OEM. Gutted the insides somewhat.

So after giving the old gal a tune up with new plugs, oil change, coolant flush with Engine Ice, new brake pads on the front and rear, new brake fluid and clutch fluid, and K&N air filter. The bike had a bad idle. Really rough at low rpms. So I had the carbs cleaned and adjust for the bike. Had one minor hic-up. Fuel tube O-ring dried out and took a few days to expand and seal. But other than that, flawless work. Also to add, when reinstalling the intake manifold. Carbs have to be stretched apart. Extra careful doing this.

The O-ring that took 3 days to re-seal.

But while I was waiting the few weeks for the carbs to be turned around back to me, I decided to upgrade the forks on the bike. Since they would dive like an Olympic diver going for the gold. I choose to rebuild with racetech 1.0k/g springs.

The Goodies:

Last edited by Hammer Down; 05-31-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:00 PM
Doing work mofo

Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down Hammer Down
Default Re: My track bike - 91 Honda VFR 750 re-work thread. 56k go home.

So after the forks I started on the body work, as I had been sanding periodically throughout the process of all the other work. This is what the bike looks like being finished. One more panel is being re-painted due to some bad reaction on a 4"x4" section. I will also add, I am far from a professional painter. But not too shabby for an amateur.

Picked up an used Ohlins rear shock, had it rebuilt by Ohlins and installed.

Sound Clip of the exhaust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htPZVq_Nr1c&feature=player_embedded After the first wet sand and hand buff:

So the paint is finally cured and we finished wetsanding the bike, high speed buffed it. And detailed the whole bike. This is the final look of the bike.

Parts that I have yet to install:

Factory pro shift kit should be here tomorrow.

Dunlop Q2's for track day. Which should be here tomorrow.

Pazzo levers

Sprocket and chain kit - -1 front +2 rear.

Front forks may be getting swapped out for RC51 forks. Still doing the research for the swap.

Going on a diet soon. Bike weighs in at 550lbs. Shooting for the 400lb marker.

Last edited by Hammer Down; 05-31-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

Nice work, I think I liked it red better. But looks nice none-the-less
Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

streetsk8er757 has disabled reputation

VERY nice!!!!!!!!!! Def not my first choice for a track bike but very impressive to see you puting the time into it. I would like to do a trackday or 2 this year let me know when if you want someone to pit with or whatever.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Doing work mofo

Originally Posted by Quentin
Nice work, I think I liked it red better. But looks nice none-the-less
Thanks! Just not a fan of red bikes.

Originally Posted by streetsk8er757
VERY nice!!!!!!!!!! Def not my first choice for a track bike but very impressive to see you puting the time into it. I would like to do a trackday or 2 this year let me know when if you want someone to pit with or whatever.
I signed up with Nesba, and going to VIR July 16th-17th. 16th is Full course and 17th is the Patriot.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

Sounds good, I will see what i can do around that time what group do you ride in
Old 05-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Doing work mofo

I will start in the B-group. Since this will be my first time tracking a bike. If you didnt know, nesba offers 2 free 20 minute sessions for new comers. If you didnt want to pay for the track day. Just saying.

I am looking at this superbike school at the end of June, if I can swing the money.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

I havent done any days with NESBA just Sportbike track time. I dont know there program aswell. I am still a novice rider and the pace is definitly fun enough in that group.

Are you looking at cornerspeed?? I have wanted to do that school for a while now just havent had time/money
Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Why didn't you get race plastics vice OEM if it's gonna be a track bike?

http://raceglass.com.au/modellist.html
Old 06-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Doing work mofo

Originally Posted by streetsk8er757
I havent done any days with NESBA just Sportbike track time. I dont know there program aswell. I am still a novice rider and the pace is definitly fun enough in that group.

Are you looking at cornerspeed?? I have wanted to do that school for a while now just havent had time/money
Check them out. www.nesba.com

As far as schools go, a buddy recommended these guys. He took the class and loved it. http://www.superbikeschool.com/

I am still a novice too. I can drag a knee, have somewhat of a proper form. But riding on the streets vs the track is totally different from what I understand.

Originally Posted by CBR600F4
Why didn't you get race plastics vice OEM if it's gonna be a track bike?

http://raceglass.com.au/modellist.html
I'm hoping they will come by this winter. Also I dont have a rc45 nor a rc30, those fairing kits wont work for the bike. As much as I would to look like a RC30 which is buttsecks, those kits just wouldnt work. To get fairings for my bike, I will have to get them from these guys. http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...7501990-93.htm . Which is almost 1000.00 to do the whole bike.

Since this is my only bike at the moment, I really hadn't focused on race fairings. Most of the extra money I had, I have been buying upgrades for the bike and track days.

Quick Reply: My track bike - 91 Honda VFR 750 re-work thread. 56k go home.