Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Motorcycle for everyday

Old 05-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
white_spider has disabled reputation
Default Motorcycle for everyday

I'm interested in getting a motorcycle.
My interest is mostly sparked from the fact that they appear to be cheaper. Insurance, gas, and maitnence, all seem to be cheaper for motorcycles.
I'm currently a college student and need a means of transportation amongst school and work. While I can get a cheap car, it's gas and insurance which are going to really weigh heavily on me.
So I was wondering if anyone had any input for having a motorcycle for an everyday means of transportation.
How bad is it to drive when it's raining or cold?

Any insights will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 PM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy
Default Re: Motorcycle for everyday

If I were to buy an all around motorcycle for everyday riding with gas and insurance being big factors I'd get a DRZ400 hands down. Just me. Cold below 30 sucks but theres gear out there that'll make you sweat up to 20 below at 70 MPH if you wanna spend $$$. Rains no biggie. Hails a motherfucker LOL.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

DC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to all

Have you ever riden a motorcycle before? If you look at Harley, start off with an 883 Sportster that is no older than 1991. They are fun, cheap, reliable, and easy to work on. You can usually resell them for about the same amount you paid as well. A harley isn't for everyone though as they are outdated compared to the jap bikes. Looking at Jap bikes, I suggest nothing more than 600cc until you are comfortable (In other words, don't get a busa for your first bike unless you let me get an insurance policy on you first). Late 80's till early 2000 jap bikes are pretty reasonable to get ahold of and cheap on maintenance. Carbureted jap bikes are great for beginners or budget riders as they are very easy to maintain since expensive diagnostic tools are not required.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Lmtd_GrrreeN has disabled reputation

well i have a 2009 ninja 250 and its rated at like 64ish mpgs and i pay 17dollars a month on insurance so its economic and with a bonus of it looks sweet aswell and its one of the best bikes to learn on. its been good to me so far but ive only been out in the rain twice with it and both times i had improper gear for the rain so i got soaked. but cold weather riding gear is what you will want to look into and gloves that go over the top of where your riding jacket ends on your arms and not the kind that tuck inside,trust me.

but the only downside about the 250 is on the express way and wet roads is when a big gust of wind comes it feels as if the wind is just pushing you around so id say the suzuki sv650! ]

..but im not expert so do your research not by asking in interweb forums but motoryccle/gear reviews and take an MSF course on riding and go to a motorcycle specific forum and ask riders whove been riding for years about tip on riding in the cold and rain and other weather what nots
Old 05-28-2011, 10:34 AM
HNIC

Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker.

Originally Posted by Lmtd_GrrreeN
well i have a 2009 ninja 250 and its rated at like 64ish mpgs and i pay 17dollars a month on insurance so its economic and with a bonus of it looks sweet aswell and its one of the best bikes to learn on. its been good to me so far but ive only been out in the rain twice with it and both times i had improper gear for the rain so i got soaked. but cold weather riding gear is what you will want to look into and gloves that go over the top of where your riding jacket ends on your arms and not the kind that tuck inside,trust me.

but the only downside about the 250 is on the express way and wet roads is when a big gust of wind comes it feels as if the wind is just pushing you around so id say the suzuki sv650! ]

..but im not expert so do your research not by asking in interweb forums but motoryccle/gear reviews and take an MSF course on riding and go to a motorcycle specific forum and ask riders whove been riding for years about tip on riding in the cold and rain and other weather what nots
I agree with the SV650. I have a 2007 SV650S and I love riding it. I'm 20 and I pay around 70-80 a month for full coverage (thats with a speeding ticket/accident on my record). I average about 50ish mpg for city/highway mix. You can pick up one in nice condition with low miles for around 3k. I drive mine year round (except in rain). As long as you dress appropriately for the weather, it's really not bad in the cold/heat.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars

Lmtd_GrrreeN nailed it.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:52 PM
where are my balls!?

Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger

get a cruiser honda shadow. early 2000's...

picked up one for dirt cheap, never let me down, throw some loud pipes to let people know ur around *safety* and bam nice cruiser. Plus the insurance on those are nothing....every kid buys a sports bike and wrecks it, so insurance companies hike up those.

Throw on a windshield if you want * i never did* it will help with some wind and rain *but so will the right gear*

Comfertable factor-i thought i was riding on a lazyboy with two wheels, so damn comfy.

But seriously...go sit on a bunch of em, feel it out, if you have your class M, try and see what dealerships will let you take it out for a spin, ultimately, it's you that has to be comfy, not us.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:08 PM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

Cheaper maintenance is only a half truth, it depends on what bike you buy, how you ride and how often you ride. Charley and I will provide you with an in length discourse on this subject at a later time. I can tell you for now though if you want a bike as transportation your BEST options will be

ex500/500r
250r
sv650
goldwing
bmw touring

DO NOT PURCHASE A SUPER SPORT BIKE IF YOU ARE A COLLEGE STUDENT AND WANT CHEAP MAINTENANCE
Old 05-31-2011, 01:30 PM
DAAAANG & OHDAANG

MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch

I ride my Honda XR650L as much as possible. Usually the only time I drive my car is if its raining. As someone stated before a DR400 is a great bike. For comfort, gas, insurance and just overall a lot of fun to ride I highly recommend a dual sport (street legal dirtbike). XR, XT, DR, WR, KLR are all great commuter bikes that do very well offroad too.

You can pick them up from 2000-2006 for between $1500-$3500 depending on motor size and mileage.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:42 PM
chpinalthewomensmeat

Buttsechs is a jewel in the roughButtsechs is a jewel in the roughButtsechs is a jewel in the rough

I got a thing for Suzuki Enduros/Dualsports, I got a Dr200 that treats me very well, but its light and a good gust from a passing truck makes me feel weary. but, I would say that it depends on your travel habits as to what kind of bike you should get. like how far do you commute for school and work?

Quick Reply: Motorcycle for everyday