Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

mil spec vest question

Old 12-21-2008, 01:35 PM
I have a 20 valve...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx
Default mil spec vest question

So all you military folks should know about this one. I need to get the bike onto the base but of course I need the vest. I don't want to pay $55 for a damn icon vest- is there really another option?

if you have websites that you get your gear from and its cheaper than ebay, please link. Right now the cheapest I've seen is about $40.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Crazy Motorcyclist

Hardishbody can only hope to improve
Default Re: mil spec vest question

Any hi-viz vest willl do. You can get one from a hardware shop for cheap. Hell, this one should work http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/item-6524.asp
If you need those reflective panels, then this one might be the ticket http://www.troopaccessories.com/805/...leVest%27.html
Not stylish like the Icon, but it gets the job done, and it's MUCH cheaper.

Last edited by Hardishbody; 12-21-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I have a 20 valve...

thanks for the tips. good thing my commute is only about 8 miles each way. anymore than that and I think those vests would disintergrate.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

jbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to all

You actually dont need a vest for daytime on base and at night you can get away with having some type of reflective material on your jacket. I ride on base everyday and my jacket only has reflective piping. Hope that helps.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:11 PM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation

wow sorry, ur bitching about $55?.. wait untill u need to take the bike sumwhere to get it fixed or u need parts..
Old 12-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Ultraspeed

ultravietnam has disabled reputation

I ride to NOB whenever weather is above 30 degrees. I wear my black joe rocket jacket, with the elastic I.D. arm band on my arm, and a runners reflective belt around my backpack. Never any issues. However, once a "base cop" said i needed a reflective jacket/vest. I told him, that's a big negative Mr. Cop. I had the required motorcycle gear instrustion in my jacket pocket and told him to freshen up on his instructions.

So just get a damn arm band thing for your I.D. which is $5 at the NEX in the stationary section.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I have a 20 valve...

Originally Posted by rollingstock
wow sorry, ur bitching about $55?.. wait untill u need to take the bike sumwhere to get it fixed or u need parts..
its not that I'm bitching about $55. its the fact that I have to wear a required vest that, imho, shouldn't cost $55.
clear?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:37 PM
I have a 20 valve...

Originally Posted by ultravietnam
I ride to NOB whenever weather is above 30 degrees. I wear my black joe rocket jacket, with the elastic I.D. arm band on my arm, and a runners reflective belt around my backpack. Never any issues. However, once a "base cop" said i needed a reflective jacket/vest. I told him, that's a big negative Mr. Cop. I had the required motorcycle gear instrustion in my jacket pocket and told him to freshen up on his instructions.

So just get a damn arm band thing for your I.D. which is $5 at the NEX in the stationary section.
this is the instruction that they are hitting me with:

Motorcycle Safety: To ride a motorcycle while on active duty, regardless of where you are, you must: 1. Complete an approved Motorcycle Safety Rider Course. 2. Ride with headlights turned on at all times. 3. Wear personal protective equipment to include a properly fastened DOT-approved helmet, eye protection, long sleeve shirt, long legged trousers, full finger leather (or equivalent) gloves, hard soled shoes with heels and a brightly colored outer upper garment during the day a reflective upper garment during the night. The outer upper garment shall be clearly visible and not covered. 4. Hold a current motorcycle driver's license. 5. Have rear view mirrors mounted one each side of the handlebars.

this may be old. what navpers or navmil instuction did you reference?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:38 PM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by crxnfx
its not that I'm bitching about $55. its the fact that I have to wear a required vest that, imho, shouldn't cost $55.
clear?

gotta pay to play...
Old 12-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

jbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to alljbstewart02 is a name known to all

reflective upper garment during the night. That does not say a full reflective vest. Like we have all said, just something reflective......

Quick Reply: mil spec vest question