Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Metalhead Question::

Old 06-22-2006, 09:31 PM
CLUTCH IT UP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armenian has disabled reputation
Default Metalhead Question::

I've been getting all kinds of different opinions of this mod I just did to my bike now I need your opinion.

Crankcase breather on 636--I had it disconnected from the airbox and ran it to the front of the motor--Oil spewed out all over the place even with a PCV valve and a catch resevoir from high rev 12 wheelies.

I closed off the crankcase breather with a hose and a bolt with a clamp, popped the valve cover off, drilled a hole between plugs 2 & 3, had Jim weld a spigot to the hole, and ran a tube from that up front again with a filter capping it off.

Stunter friends of mine have been doing this to solve the problem and its worked for them but Steve said that the crankcase STILL wont be able to breathe and I'll end up blowing a seal on the bottom end. Whats your view on this? Is the crankcase a seperate entity sealed from the head because of the piston rings? Isnt the atmosphere in the motor all connected via the oil passages? Do you think it'll blow up? Maybe i should just get a Honda?

Last edited by Armenian; 06-22-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:05 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Metalhead Question::

it'll vent crankcase pressure, but i don't know if it'll be enough. yes, it's all connected via oil gally's and stuff, but to really vent properly, you need to vent the airspace, not the oil spaces.

just run both. run the main crankcase vent line in such a way that whatever oil builds up in it will drain back into the crankcase when you set the bike back down.

you can also loop the crankcase vent back into the oil fill hole, with a t fitting in the line, with a breather filter on the 3rd leg of the t fitting. oil is obviously heavier than air, so if the crankcase vent i slooped back into the oil fill hole, the oil will go back into the motor. put the t fitting at the highest part of the loop, and run another hose from the fitting to an even higher point, with the filter on the end of it. making any sense?

just call me if you're confused.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:33 AM
Registered Member

soniccbr has disabled reputation

yes, just get a Honda. j/k!

Hell steve, even I'm confuzed on that explanation.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:24 AM
hatrs make me famous

wtf??? u want me to draw you a picture??? lol
Old 06-23-2006, 08:56 AM
CLUTCH IT UP

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
it'll vent crankcase pressure, but i don't know if it'll be enough. yes, it's all connected via oil gally's and stuff, but to really vent properly, you need to vent the airspace, not the oil spaces.

just run both. run the main crankcase vent line in such a way that whatever oil builds up in it will drain back into the crankcase when you set the bike back down.

you can also loop the crankcase vent back into the oil fill hole, with a t fitting in the line, with a breather filter on the 3rd leg of the t fitting. oil is obviously heavier than air, so if the crankcase vent i slooped back into the oil fill hole, the oil will go back into the motor. put the t fitting at the highest part of the loop, and run another hose from the fitting to an even higher point, with the filter on the end of it. making any sense?

just call me if you're confused.
I hear that--oil is heavier than air BUT, its under pressure when it comes out of that vent so it goes everywhere-i watched it spit out a good 2-3 feet from the old vent tube i made. I think it would have no problem finding its way down the 3rd leg of a T fitting.

I was hoping this head cover vent would allow me to eliminate the dumb crankcase vent alltogether. I guess its just a risk i'll have to take.

Last edited by Armenian; 06-23-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Bustadust can only hope to improve

so im a lil confused, r u modifiying your bike so your engine wont take a beating when u pop wheelies because of oil misplacement?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:51 PM
hatrs make me famous

no, he's trying to modify his bike to keep the crankcase vent from puking oil when it's at 12 oclock.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:38 PM
CLUTCH IT UP

i should have stuck with Honda But damn this Kawi is a great stuntbike.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Slow ass car

Mongoose87 has disabled reputation

Couldn't you just extend the breather?
Old 06-25-2006, 07:52 AM
hatrs make me famous

sort of, crankcase pressure will still blow alot of oil, even thru a long breather. some bikes are just worse than others. the farther back on the cases the breather is, the more oil it'll puke, since your oil line changes angles when your front wheel is 6 feet in the air.

Quick Reply: Metalhead Question::