Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Maintainence is a bitch!

Old 09-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Angry Maintainence is a bitch!

Well, i decided since my new sprockets and chain havent come in, id go ahead and start on all the other shit i planned on doing to the bike. So, since i was changing the air filter, i figured i might as well do the spark plugs first since i have to take off the tank to do both.

All i can say is what a mother fucking bitch all the shit is, and i havent completed one of the tasks yet. All ive managed to do is completely take my bike apart!! Im scared of even looking at the poor thing. All my side fairing are off, my seat is off, the gas tank is off, the airbox is taken out and opened for the new filter.

Then, following what the manual said, in order to get to my ignition coils, i have to remove the radiator cover. So when i flip to that page of the book, it only tells me how to REMOVE THE RADIATOR. Im like, wtf? So i just looked for the part on how to remove the cover and found it, which was easy to do, but to get the cover completely out of the way, i had to bend and twist it through a small ass opening space and im just tryin to figure out how im gonna get it back in. Not to mention, whoever took it off before must have lost the screws to it, so zip-ties were holding it on, and i had to cut those shits off.

The filter is grimey as ALL fucking hell. And ive still yet to take out the coils. I can already tell this is going to be a long process for me.

OH YEAH, on top of all that shit, i still cant get the fucking front sprocket nut off!!! That bitch is stuck!! Ive lubed it with wd40 and chain cleaner, it just wont budge!! And i went to low's and home depot looking for a 32mm socket for my socket wrench, and neither one of those fuckers had any. Im beginning to get frustrated and im not doing anything hard.

Ill try and post pictures later.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation
Default Re: Maintainence is a bitch!

when you find a sprocket let me borrow it I either need a 32 or 27mm for my front sprocket. Did you let it soak with WD-40 and then stick a 2x4 in the wheel so the wheel doesn't turn while you're cranking on it? Good luck as I'll be letting a shop do my sprocket instead of messing with it
Old 09-01-2004, 05:44 PM
hybrid hatch

totaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these parts

i have a 32mm you can borrow
Old 09-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by xshanex
when you find a sprocket let me borrow it I either need a 32 or 27mm for my front sprocket. Did you let it soak with WD-40 and then stick a 2x4 in the wheel so the wheel doesn't turn while you're cranking on it? Good luck as I'll be letting a shop do my sprocket instead of messing with it
Let me put it this way Shane, ive used an entire can of both the wd40 and the chain cleaner. It just doesnt want to come off. I think it has literally rusted itself on there, as i think the previous owners never had a need to check the sprocket or anything, it looks like it wasnt touched since day 1 and has just been sitting there for 5 years, oh wait, im sure it hasnt been touched and has been sittin there like that for 5 years

The only reason i believe its a 32mm is because my stock yamaha tool reads 32mm and it fits it perfectly, there just isnt any room to manuver that little bitch in there.

Originally Posted by totaled@100+
i have a 32mm you can borrow
Ive got little time to get up with you to get it. If you go to TNCC, thats probably one of the only times i could get it from you. If not, dont worry about it, i need to buy one to have all the time since im doing all my own work on the bike.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

get a socket for it then put on the socket wrench and get a breaker bar for more leverage. From what I heard with a normal one it will take a breaker bar anyways. If that doesn't cover it someone has to have some air tools. BTW what are you doing so the sprocket doesn't rotate? Just don't leave it in gear as that may fuck up or chip your gears. Thats why I mentioned the 2x4 through the wheels so as the wheel rotates it will stop once the 2x4 is butted against the swing arm.

BTW most shops only charge like $25-35 to do the job for ya
Old 09-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by xshanex
get a socket for it then put on the socket wrench and get a breaker bar for more leverage. From what I heard with a normal one it will take a breaker bar anyways. If that doesn't cover it someone has to have some air tools. BTW what are you doing so the sprocket doesn't rotate? Just don't leave it in gear as that may fuck up or chip your gears. Thats why I mentioned the 2x4 through the wheels so as the wheel rotates it will stop once the 2x4 is butted against the swing arm.

BTW most shops only charge like $25-35 to do the job for ya
Hahaha, ive been going by the book man, so trust me i didnt leave it in gear. It suggested i get someone to hold the rear brake hard, so whoever i see walking past my house im like "Hey you, come here for a second" i have them apply the brake while i try turning it to no avail, and then i switch with them and let them have a go. I think ive done it with 5 people now

Thats why im startin to think its just not gonna come off. But im still gonna try and get the socket before i take it to a shop, fuck 25-35 bucks for getting a god damn nut off!
Old 09-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

breaker bar and a friend holding the brake has always worked for me, although sometimes not very easy at all

i think maintainance is fun, although i agree it can really be a bitch when things don't work perfect
Old 09-02-2004, 08:24 AM
hybrid hatch

totaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these partstotaled@100+ is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Mr.6
Ive got little time to get up with you to get it. If you go to TNCC, thats probably one of the only times i could get it from you. If not, dont worry about it, i need to buy one to have all the time since im doing all my own work on the bike.
i dont live very far from tncc. i have a breaker bar to from taking off axle nuts on hondas all the time. if you need it, just let me know i can bring it by and try to give you a hand.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Re: Maintainence is a bitch! (56k)

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
breaker bar and a friend holding the brake has always worked for me, although sometimes not very easy at all

i think maintainance is fun, although i agree it can really be a bitch when things don't work perfect

I agree, it is fun. But with the limited amount of time i get to work on it with school/work schedule to work around, it makes it that more stressful to do, cause im just tryin to get it up and running so i can ride, but i know if im gonna do it right i need to take my time. Everyone who has rode with me up to this point knows i have about "0" patience. lol

Anyways here are some pics of the work in progress.

He is that bitch cock sucking whore of a nut. As you can see its rusted!

No side fairings. Wheres the tank!?!?

Ahh, there she is.

Im stupid so i have no idea what this is. The book said something about the airbox sittin on the carburettor, but it kinda looks sorta kinda like an intake manifold? Im a noob

This is part of the reason im sure the bike was over heating a little, i was getting little airflow through this old ass piece of shit.

My dream team of new parts/products (minus my new chain and sprockets, they still havent arrived yet )

Old 09-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

New rotor and some brake fluid.

K&N like woah!

The caliper i got off of ebay.

Some pre-mixed racing coolant. And of course, some NGK spark pluggies.

Im definately gonna need help doing the coolant flush and the caliper and brake fluid. Im gonna try and do most of it all myself though, but Buttercup and 3gturbo have already said they would help, im basically just waitin for those damn sprockets and chain!

Quick Reply: Maintainence is a bitch!