Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Lowering/kickstand question for the experts? . . . . .

Old 05-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95jdmEJ1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lowering/kickstand question for the experts? . . . . .

Well the time has finally come and I just picked up my first bike. I didn't want anything really new, nor ragged out, and I came across a 2000 cbr F4 with only 5900 miles and bone stock. Factory black and yellow color scheme looks brand new. It rides and handles great, however it sits a little too high for my riding stance. I picked up a set of adjustable lowering links, and another OEM kickstand to cut and weld (I just cant see spending $180 on an ugly chrome adjustable stand). I’m going with a 1.5 in drop, but my question is pertaining to the stand. I've looked all over other bike/cbr forums but can't find any technical info on how much to take off of a stand depending on the amount of drop on the bike. The only thing I have found was a diagram showing how to measure distance from the bottom of the stand to the ground when the bike is sitting straight up, and then measuring again when the bike is lowered and then cutting out the difference from the stand. I was just wondering if there were any “guidelines” to go by when lowering both a bike and trimming the kickstand, i.e. for every inch you lower your bike, roughly a half an inch off the stand, something along those lines,? Any tips/advice would be appreciated . . . . . . . .
Old 05-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random
Default Re: Lowering/kickstand question for the experts? . . . . .

you a wee person?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:18 PM
turbo on 2 wheels

Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern

just cut the kickstand till it leans like you want it.... then weld the little bottom piece back on and your done..
Old 05-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 2>4
you a wee person?
Ha, I wouldn't say a wee person, about 5'9" , but when I sit down on level ground my heel is about at aleast an inch or so off the ground.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Vern
just cut the kickstand till it leans like you want it.... then weld the little bottom piece back on and your done..
That is the initial plan, it wont be getting lowered for another 3 weeks roughly, I wont be doing the cutting or welding either, but I can get that taken care of whenever, I was just wondering if there were any tips or tricks to getting it just right and having the spare stand cut and welded and ready for when it does get lowered
Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

i met a guy in mississippi hat had a non blang-blang adjusable kickstand
for got where he ordered it from
Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Banned

soloboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Fuck cutting it, Get a anything U have and heat the kick stand up and bend it.. Thats how me and all my boys do ours and never have any problems
Old 05-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Robs750 is infamous around these partsRobs750 is infamous around these partsRobs750 is infamous around these partsRobs750 is infamous around these partsRobs750 is infamous around these partsRobs750 is infamous around these partsRobs750 is infamous around these partsRobs750 is infamous around these partsRobs750 is infamous around these partsRobs750 is infamous around these partsRobs750 is infamous around these parts

ummm... I wouldn't do it all ghetto by cutting or bending it casue it will never be as stable as it should. You can order adjustable ones and set it to whatever height you need. Thats probably your best bet!!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Robs750
ummm... I wouldn't do it all ghetto by cutting or bending it casue it will never be as stable as it should. You can order adjustable ones and set it to whatever height you need. Thats probably your best bet!!
I can assure you there would nothing ghetto about the procedure, it would be cut and welded by a professional. I've looked into the adjustable ones, but the cheapest one I can find for my bike is around $180, which I would rather spend on frame sliders and other things I need, but I totally agree about not doing a ghetto job, I'm so excited about finally having a bike there's no way I would take a chance on messing it up, I hope to get some pics of it up asap . . . . . .

thanks for all the advice so far . . . . . . keep it coming
Old 05-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

ef9zc has disabled reputation

5'9 and you need to lower your bike?

Quick Reply: Lowering/kickstand question for the experts? . . . . .