Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Lots of problems, i need help

Old 05-26-2004, 07:47 PM
Chillaxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6
Default Lots of problems, i need help

Okay, today i was riding with my friend on back and after a while of riding my shifter wouldnt go into first gear. When/if i could get it into first, when i went to second it would try to drop back down into neutral. If i got it into second and went to 3rd, it would go any higher than that. I had been riding all day today and everything was fine, but then all this happened.

So later on, Tiki comes over with his friend who is mechanically sound (not on bikes, but he knows cars pretty well). We try and adjust the shift linkage which helped drop the bike into first gear a lot better, but wouldnt help with shifting above 3rd. We finally find a dip stick on my bike while looking for an area where we could find the tranny fluid. We check my oil, and i have way too much in there, which Tiki's buddy realizes could be a big problem, it could wear out my synchros faster? We tried draining just a little oil out, but the plug fell and all of it came out, and it was slightly clear at first and then just started coming out black. I just changed that oil about 600-800 miles ago, and we all agreed it shouldnt have come out that black, unless it does that on bikes?

I put 3.5 quarts in it just like the girl at Casey cycle told me to because at the time i couldnt find the capacity specifications for my bike. I figured the bike ran hotter because the oil i was using was semi synthetic and not synthetic.

I have no clue what to do other than get it checked out, but i know i will get nickled and dimed doing this, so i need suggestions. The bike has .5 quarts of fresh oil in it now, which i plan on replacing tomorrow with some synthetic oil, and i still have to replace the brake disc, pads, and caliper, so i have a lot of money I have to come up with for all this, and im not getting paid that much, so im in a bunch here. Any ideas, please post them.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:21 PM
Cock of the Infinite

tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240
Default Re: Lots of problems, i need help

i looked up your capacities and you should have between 3.5 and 3.7 (total) qts of oil
Old 05-26-2004, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

sounds like your tranny took a shit and yamahas are notorious for it, but usually its 2nd gear first, and things usually happen gradually, like you'll start getting the occasional false neutral usually in 2nd, and then it will happen more and more and eventually maybe work its way into 3rd gear, but to just go all to hell at once is very unusual

the oil wouldn't concern me much about it being high, and i don't really think that would have much of an effect on any tranny parts...

i'd speak to some local dealers and get them to give you a diagnostic price, let a professional take a look at it, they won't be able to tell you 100% probably with out opening up the tranny which you won't want to pay them to do, but for maybe a $50 diagnosis or something i think it would be worth it to get a motorcycle tech's opinion

if you do need to fix the tranny it will probably be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears, maybe 4th while your in there, the associated dog gears, and shift forks, probably 250$ or so in parts... the real money is in the labor because you have to more than likely drop the motor and split the engine cases, probably 1,200$ give or take for parts and labor from an average dealer... i don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but my friend had the same problem in his yzf 600r last year, it was his first bike and he dropped the motor and fixed his whole tranny by himself w/ a service manual and by carefully labeling all his parts, saved a grand
Old 05-27-2004, 03:21 AM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
sounds like your tranny took a shit and yamahas are notorious for it, but usually its 2nd gear first, and things usually happen gradually, like you'll start getting the occasional false neutral usually in 2nd, and then it will happen more and more and eventually maybe work its way into 3rd gear, but to just go all to hell at once is very unusual

the oil wouldn't concern me much about it being high, and i don't really think that would have much of an effect on any tranny parts...

i'd speak to some local dealers and get them to give you a diagnostic price, let a professional take a look at it, they won't be able to tell you 100% probably with out opening up the tranny which you won't want to pay them to do, but for maybe a $50 diagnosis or something i think it would be worth it to get a motorcycle tech's opinion

if you do need to fix the tranny it will probably be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears, maybe 4th while your in there, the associated dog gears, and shift forks, probably 250$ or so in parts... the real money is in the labor because you have to more than likely drop the motor and split the engine cases, probably 1,200$ give or take for parts and labor from an average dealer... i don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but my friend had the same problem in his yzf 600r last year, it was his first bike and he dropped the motor and fixed his whole tranny by himself w/ a service manual and by carefully labeling all his parts, saved a grand
God, my bank account is gonna be raped by the end of the summer.

Thanks Bret & Howard
Old 05-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Biggest thing here is that you need to put in enough oil to either match your dipstick or sight glass. Don't EVER go off of exact specifications, when you drain your oil do you really think ALL the oil drains out? Nope. So you fill it till it's full, regardless of exacting specs.

As for too much oil; the only thing that will harm are your main seals, too much oil and you could blow one or all of them.

And there is no tranny fluid/oil. Your engine oil IS your tranny oil; one in the same. That's why it's usually recommended to go with whatever the manufacturer recommends; or much more expensive.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Chillaxin

Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6 Mr.6

Originally Posted by CBR600F4
Biggest thing here is that you need to put in enough oil to either match your dipstick or sight glass. Don't EVER go off of exact specifications, when you drain your oil do you really think ALL the oil drains out? Nope. So you fill it till it's full, regardless of exacting specs.

As for too much oil; the only thing that will harm are your main seals, too much oil and you could blow one or all of them.

And there is no tranny fluid/oil. Your engine oil IS your tranny oil; one in the same. That's why it's usually recommended to go with whatever the manufacturer recommends; or much more expensive.
Thats what this kid was saying the other night. So if thats the case (the tranny and engine oil being one in the same) its possible that having too much oil could have been the reason my tranny went? Because it wore out the synchros do to too much heat? Because i noticed ever since i had changed that oil that my engine ran a little hotter. It used to peak at 230, since the oil change it peaked at 236+ and got up there a lot faster.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:41 PM
Va Beach Coast Rider

CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4 CBR600F4

Originally Posted by Mr.6
Thats what this kid was saying the other night. So if thats the case (the tranny and engine oil being one in the same) its possible that having too much oil could have been the reason my tranny went? Because it wore out the synchros do to too much heat? Because i noticed ever since i had changed that oil that my engine ran a little hotter. It used to peak at 230, since the oil change it peaked at 236+ and got up there a lot faster.
I'm far removed from being an engine guru; but I can't see how too much oil would have harmed your tranny.

Case in point; there was a dude on a ride with us one time. His exhaust started getting really nasty and he didn't have much power. Low and behold he had put in the exact amount of oil he was supposed to when he changed his oil; but he changed it while the bike was leaning on it's kickstand: so not very much drained out.

The too much oil was causing oil to come back up into his breather and get into his carbs; causing the shitty exhaust and lack of power. Oil in your air box means not as much air as there should be.

So we drained some oil out right there at a gas station in Pungo and he was good to go after that.

So do I think that too much oil in your engine caused your tranny to go bad? Nope. I'd bet money on it. It's probably that whoever had the bike before you didn't shift very well and liked to grind gears instead. You just get to be the guy who gets to fix it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

i really can't see the oil level having anything to do with the problem, and for the short amount of time your oil level may have been off it definetly didn't not cause it...

cbr is right i never go by spec's, just pour and keep checking until it reaches the correct point in the dip stick, start it up for a few seconds, recheck and add til up to level, repeat again, then i let it run for a bit, warm up, give it some revs and check one last time, its usually right around spec, but slightly lower most times i find

but yea like cbr said only thing that high oil level could effect would be engine seals and gaskets from too high of pressure in the crank case, oil blow by in the motor fouling your plugs, or over flowing into your carbs/air box, maybe less power from the added drag of the extra oil if really want to micro analyze it, but it definetly would not make it run hotter as oil is 30% of your bike's cooling system, it could just be the guy was running a very different type of oil before than what you put in there now or something
Old 05-27-2004, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Alwayslast is an unknown quantity at this point

let me point you to a R6 specific forum.
they maybe able to give you some good advice on your situation.

http://r6messagenet.com/forums/

R6 warrenty and premature failure forum:
http://r6messagenet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

btw, how many miles is showing on the guage?
Old 05-27-2004, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

good idea w/ the links always, but being a 99' he's long past warranty or anything you could consider premature

Quick Reply: Lots of problems, i need help