Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Looking at a DRZ400SM... opinions??

Old 01-21-2008, 10:35 AM
IDB
AAAAHHHHHH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IDB is on a distinguished road
Default Looking at a DRZ400SM... opinions??

I've recently been looking more into buying a motard. I figure with the reasonable price, the handling and more low end power, these things should be a blast on the street, as well as to take to a lot and stunt out. The DRZ400Sm caught my eye, but I have heard they are way under powered, but very reliable. I would like to hear your alls "take" on this bike.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Looking at a DRZ400SM... opinions??

Im sponsored by Suzuki and I love the 400SM but if I was to buy one id have to say the Honda 450X is the way to go.....
Old 01-21-2008, 11:06 AM
IDB
AAAAHHHHHH

Originally Posted by Voodoo ST
Im sponsored by Suzuki and I love the 400SM but if I was to buy one id have to say the Honda 450X is the way to go.....
I prefer to buy something already finished. I believe the 450x would have to be converted.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by IDB
I prefer to buy something already finished. I believe the 450x would have to be converted.
True, but worth the effort! IMHO
Old 01-21-2008, 01:33 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

i used to own a 400E converted to a SM. i friggin loved it. the only difference between my 400 and an new SM was the carb and cam.

get a 400sm, throw a FCR carb, cam, exhaust system, and the "3x3" intake mod, and it's all kinds of fun.

or just go buy a KTM, and be done with it

had one of them too, lol. never should have sold that bike.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
IDB
AAAAHHHHHH

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
i used to own a 400E converted to a SM. i friggin loved it. the only difference between my 400 and an new SM was the carb and cam.

get a 400sm, throw a FCR carb, cam, exhaust system, and the "3x3" intake mod, and it's all kinds of fun.

or just go buy a KTM, and be done with it

had one of them too, lol. never should have sold that bike.
I wish I could afford a ktm...lol. I think im gonna get the DRZ and do the carb/pipe/3x3 mods and just live with it until I graduate. Then its Aprilia svx550 time.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:08 PM
hatrs make me famous

:drool: svx..... pure sex

you can always get a used ktm duke and put s/m clothes on it. that's what mine started out as, and you can get them pretty cheap. there was one on craigslist not too long ago, matter of fact.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:56 PM
IDB
AAAAHHHHHH

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
:drool: svx..... pure sex

you can always get a used ktm duke and put s/m clothes on it. that's what mine started out as, and you can get them pretty cheap. there was one on craigslist not too long ago, matter of fact.
I'd love to have a ktm, but I figure I can pick up a 05 DRZ for 3500 or so...
Old 01-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by IDB
I'd love to have a ktm, but I figure I can pick up a 05 DRZ for 3500 or so...

most are about $4500 or so with some mods and around $4k give or take a tiny bit depending on miles and condition. Might take a little searching at that price point but they seem to pop up regularly enough where it isn't impossible to find a good deal

I have an '05 drz400sm that I'm on the fence about keeping. Its tons of fun and super easy to ride but I don't know if I'll keep riding it too much when I move. Great for around town and being a hooligan but the freeway and longer distances suck on it. I go in phases where I'll ride my drz for a while then switch out to my zx6r. It would never be an only bike for me. The power with it completely stock is a bit of a let-down but I'd take lower power and excellent reliability over 20 more horsepower and having to do top end rebuilds. The handling is great and with the low hp and low weight its a low stress bike to ride that doesn't completely freak me out if I get it a little sidways or out of shape. If I keep mine I'm going to get a set of dirt rims for it so I can do a bit of dual-sporting and light trail riding up in the mountains and might even take it out to the dunes with a paddle out back.

if you buy one I can't recommend the corbin seat enough. The stock one simply sucks. The corbin isn't perfect by any means but is a definite step up on a bike thats never going to be all that comfortable for mid to long distances
Old 01-22-2008, 04:36 PM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by xshanex
most are about $4500 or so with some mods and around $4k give or take a tiny bit depending on miles and condition. Might take a little searching at that price point but they seem to pop up regularly enough where it isn't impossible to find a good deal

I have an '05 drz400sm that I'm on the fence about keeping. Its tons of fun and super easy to ride but I don't know if I'll keep riding it too much when I move. Great for around town and being a hooligan but the freeway and longer distances suck on it. I go in phases where I'll ride my drz for a while then switch out to my zx6r. It would never be an only bike for me. The power with it completely stock is a bit of a let-down but I'd take lower power and excellent reliability over 20 more horsepower and having to do top end rebuilds. The handling is great and with the low hp and low weight its a low stress bike to ride that doesn't completely freak me out if I get it a little sidways or out of shape. If I keep mine I'm going to get a set of dirt rims for it so I can do a bit of dual-sporting and light trail riding up in the mountains and might even take it out to the dunes with a paddle out back.

if you buy one I can't recommend the corbin seat enough. The stock one simply sucks. The corbin isn't perfect by any means but is a definite step up on a bike thats never going to be all that comfortable for mid to long distances

i was waiting for you to drop in here. wasn't even sure if you were still in va or not.

Quick Reply: Looking at a DRZ400SM... opinions??