Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Learning to ride?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:17 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22
Default Learning to ride?

Well I've wanted a bike for a long time, and now I'll be in the position to pick one up later this year or next, but what I want to know is how did you learn to ride a motorcycle? Did you take a class, or just hop on and start riding?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve
Default Re: Learning to ride?

Riding dirt bikes since I was 12, rode a few streetbikes when I was 16 and got my M at 21 via Nova riding class.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 AM

RwwT is an unknown quantity at this point

MSF course IMO definitely the way to go. 90 bucks and they provide everything but can be a little of a pain to get into if you don't sign up early enough.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
MSF
Old 05-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

ef9zc has disabled reputation

I went to a school parking lot and got on my bike. Had a friend drive it there. I tried to use the lines as guidelines to where i wanted to stop and where i wanted to turn. I took the msf course a few weeks later also. In the military msf class though you use your own bike, so you kind of have to teach your self before you can go...
Old 05-07-2008, 08:49 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Does the non-military MSF course provide a bike to do the class on? I dont feel comfortable buying a bike before I learn to ride.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:33 AM

^Yes

Originally Posted by RwwT
MSF course IMO definitely the way to go. 90 bucks and they provide everything but can be a little of a pain to get into if you don't sign up early enough.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:55 AM
oNi
Urusai! Baka!

oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi oNi

^Yes
They do provide the bike but they do not provide everything. You need to bring your own gear for the class which has to at least be, a long sleeve shirt, gloves, jeans, boots, and eye protection, they will provide you a helmet if you do not have one.

But as most have said, MSF is the way to go and last I checked classes at Bayside Harley were booked til July. You can try walking on though, basically someone not showing up the first day and you can take their spot in the class.

Last edited by oNi; 05-07-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to list gloves.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

^Yes
woops

Originally Posted by oNi
They do provide the bike but they do not provide everything. You need to bring your own gear for the class which has to at least be, a long sleeve shirt, jeans, boots, and eye protection, they will provide you a helmet if you do not have one.

But as most have said, MSF is the way to go and last I checked classes at Bayside Harley were booked til July. You can try walking on though, basically someone not showing up the first day and you can take their spot in the class.

Could I use a Snell SA2005 rated helmet for the MSF course? I have one of those, but not an M rated helmet for right now. If I can use it for the course, once I pass and such I'll obviously get a proper M2005 rated helmet.

I'll try and see if I can get on the list for an MSF around here soon then.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by oNi
They do provide the bike but they do not provide everything. You need to bring your own gear for the class which has to at least be, a long sleeve shirt, jeans, boots, and eye protection, they will provide you a helmet if you do not have one.

When I said everything, I didn't mean he could show up to the class in his birthday suit and they would have a fresh pair of underwear available.

Last edited by RwwT; 05-07-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: About the helmet. I don't know.

Quick Reply: Learning to ride?