Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

K6 GSX-R750: chain issues

Old 07-06-2009, 05:21 PM
#XV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold
Default K6 GSX-R750: chain issues

So my chain has been loose for the past week or so. Sunday, I tightened it (went as far back as there were notches) and it seemed perfect. Now, as I was riding today, I notice that it is loose again.

I checked the adjustment position and it is the same as it was when I tightened it. The axle nut is still at standard tq.

Is there anything else I am missing or is it time for a new chain?

If it is time for a new chain, how much can I expect to pay for one at say Sunrise or Cycle world?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 PM
SV haver

chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe chappe
Default Re: K6 GSX-R750: chain issues

is your tire well centered?... You should prob not go by the notches on the swing arm. I do mine with a piece of cord... Measure both sides from the center of the axle to where the SA bolts to the frame.. if its different on one side i believe it would stretch your chain...

im not an expert or anything... so take that for what its worth.. maybe you just need a new chain.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:26 PM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chappe
is your tire well centered?... You should prob not go by the notches on the swing arm. I do mine with a piece of cord... Measure both sides from the center of the axle to where the SA bolts to the frame.. if its different on one side i believe it would stretch your chain...

im not an expert or anything... so take that for what its worth.. maybe you just need a new chain.
I haven't checked it with anything other than the notches. I will take a tape to it in the AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:06 AM
**burp**

zeroaffiliation is an unknown quantity at this point

I do the string thing like here; http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,148.0.html for wheel alignment.

Have you rotated the rear wheel when it's on a stand and checked for tight/loose areas of the chain?

From what I have read, what you described usually indicates it's time for a new chain. You will want to replace your chain and sprockets as a set. At least that's what's recommended, so take that for what its worth.

I couldn't keep my chain within spec after I adjusted it. Since I replaced the sprockets and chain, it's been fine. All I do is clean and lube it.

I got my chain/sprocket set online from sportbikesolutions.com spoke with a cat named Jody, great service overall.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-07-2009, 03:44 AM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

make sure you are not over tightening the chain as well(it needs a little slack).
Old 07-07-2009, 05:16 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

did you get the factory service manual yet? all the specs are in there. Forget the fact that you tightened the chain for a minute, ok. Check the factory specs as to where your wheel should be and the amount of slack in your chain should be. If there's more slack than the manual says is allowable, then replace it. I would call cyclegear for your chain price.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 AM
#XV

Originally Posted by 98formulaLS1
did you get the factory service manual yet? all the specs are in there. Forget the fact that you tightened the chain for a minute, ok. Check the factory specs as to where your wheel should be and the amount of slack in your chain should be. If there's more slack than the manual says is allowable, then replace it. I would call cyclegear for your chain price.
Yeah, I grabbed the manual.

I checked the wheel alignment, it's good. The slack was right at 20mm when I tightened it, and now it's almost at 28. Still within specs, but noticeably more slack than it was.

I will call Cycle Gear for a price, I've also checked out sportbike solutions.com and the stock replacement set is $172.76.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

well it was that expensive becuase you were looking at the chain and sprocket kits.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:04 AM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

Should have bought a Yamaha.......
Old 07-07-2009, 06:13 AM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

//\\
wrong
Honda
you'll never have a problem with them

unless your me

Quick Reply: K6 GSX-R750: chain issues