Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

insurance.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Justa lil 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough
Default insurance.

Question. I'm getting ready to purchase my first bike. Its gonna be something new from a dealer. My question is, Do I have to have full coverage insurance on it like a car because I will have a loan on it or could I get insurance on it through the loan provider?
Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

gixxerman11 has disabled reputation
Default Re: insurance.

yes u need full coverage on a lien
Old 02-16-2009, 05:59 PM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by gixxerman11
yes u need full coverage on a lien
thats what I figured. Since I'm only 20 years old, I'm going to put it on my moms insurance because I know if I put it just in my name, it's going to be $$$$
Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

If you're getting a loan throuigh the dealer credit card you will not need to carry H&E. Through a traditional loan you will need to.

Depending on what type of bike you get you could see wide ranges on prices.

Check PM in a few.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:32 AM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

called it!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
ladies love my foam.

iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam

Originally Posted by Dang Yo
Since I'm only 20 years old, I'm going to put it on my moms insurance because I know if I put it just in my name, it's going to be $$$$
to be honest thats not even necessarily true. first of all... have to taken an MSF course? you get a discount. i suggest it. second of all... i dunno if youre in va or nc....but va you have to have a seperate kind of insurance policy on a motorcycle you cannot just put it on an auto policy. NC you can just add it to your auto policy though. so basically your mom would have to set up the cycle policy in her name...third...does your mom have any riding experience? because they look into that.... so basically.... if shes never had a m class license then she would probably get charged like an inexperienced operator just like you would.

i would check into it both ways....

but GL with the bike man!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

What are you talking about? GEICO writes motorcycles on seperate policies in VA and NC. My State Farm policy has the bike and truck on the same one, I think most states allow the ins co to determine how to set their policies up.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 AM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

To the OP-

Here is what I would do. Go ahead and take a hit on the insurance now. I was also 20 when I purchased my bike and now I am 23. I set up my own insurance with full coverage through progressive. I am a USAA member but when they do the insurance they pass it off to progressive to handle. Now take the next few years and ride responsibly. Do this, avoid tickets and accidents and you will enjoy the benefits of having your insurance in your own name as well as paying off your loan in a timely manner. I am currently paying 30 a month for full coverage which is less then half of what I began paying. Best part is everything goes in your name so further on down the road when you insure a car, or another bike and you have a good record you start out right away with the good rates. This is just my opinion though. I take pride in ownership and paying my own bills, and at 20 it is a good time to start taking those steps to become independent while doing what you want.

ADVICE PART 2:

I should have mentioned this with everything else. Look into buying a cheap beginner bike so you can decide if riding is really for you. An ex500 or sv650 are excellent starter bikes (I am assuming here you are looking at sport bikes) They are also cheaper to insure because they are not "super sport" You might also avoid using a loan to buy one which will give you cheaper insurance and if you happen to wreck it in some manner (hopefully you will not) they are cheaper to fix and you might not have to report it to insurance! Learning on these bikes is also just a blessing because they are so forgiving.

Last edited by djgrom; 02-17-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:17 PM
ladies love my foam.

iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam iFoam

Originally Posted by Scarlet Letter
What are you talking about? GEICO writes motorcycles on seperate policies in VA and NC. My State Farm policy has the bike and truck on the same one, I think most states allow the ins co to determine how to set their policies up.
do you have full coverage on the bike?

it was my understanding that in va if you had h/e on your cycle that you had to have a cycle pol.

and no, im not talking about just geico. im talking about insurance as a whole... and with state farm are you sure your bike and your auto are on the SAME policy or JOINT policies....they write alot of joint package accounts (for instance, h/o and auto) etc...

and youre right and youre wrong when you say most states allow the insurance co so determine how the policies are set.... because it all depends on the limits, coverages, etc.... and yes the ins co does determine that...but as far as rules.... every state has specific rules about a policy.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Justa lil 6

purchased an 09 ZX6R tonight. pics up tomorrow.

Quick Reply: insurance.