Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

I have caved...

Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 AM
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ....
Default I have caved...

I was able to ride a friends bike for the first time yesterday. I always said I would never get one because I am scared shitless of them. Especially with all the threads in here. I dont want my name added to my R.I.P. thread. So, I know there is a plethera of information here I can search for but I would like to consolidate some stuff into a thread of my own that I can read. So here are some questions:

What is a good starter bike? Im thinking of a CBR 600 or Ninja
What should I expect to pay to get me certified, licensed, trained, and on the road? That means, bike, gear, license, class, etc.?

What advice, other than \"dont ride like an idiot,\" can you all give me as a first time rider? Fill my skull with your knowledge.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 AM
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n
Default Re: I have caved...

Stay off of 64.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:36 AM
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ.... ....AJ....

Originally Posted by JDMrice07
Stay off of 64.
So I hear.

But foreally though, I want to get a bike within the next couple of months.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:42 AM
On One Wheel

sprayedcivic has disabled reputation

1-know your limitations
2- do not ride beyond them
3-take the class (msf)
4-dont buy a 1000 get a 600 or smaller
5-dont skimp on gear
6- dont ride with idiots
7-watch out for cagers (cars)

4-5k for bike
250-helmet
200-coat
50 gloves
so about 5500.00 on up depending on bike and gear you choose
( suzukis are the best lol )
Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 AM
DayCrew© Dude

Johnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond repute

He rode my 650R last night and he liked it. I would almost say go ahead and get one of them. Youre not tryin to do anything crazy and you just want on the road. That would do it for ya. However, I think if you putt-putted around on my bike and then got your license you could start taking my bike out around and use it as your practice bike and go ahead and get you a 600. PLENTY of bike. Certified, licensed and trained is about 150 bucks. 100 for the 3 day class and 50 for gas to the dmv and getting the class M on your license.

Like I had said before.. the gear is dependent on how you get your bike. If you buy new, a lot of places put the gear into the financing. This is how I got my jacket, gloves and helmet. If you buy used, some people sell their gear along with the bike and you just have to hope the sizes fit you. My helmet fits you.. I would love to sell you my helmet so I can go get me another. But thats whatever really on that.

I wont let what happened to me happen to you.. The whole pressured to go where I wasnt ready and end up droppin my bike. However, you were doing extremely well last night for the first time riding. Just have to work on your turns, u-turns and start stops. (use the back break lol get used to doing so lol)

But yeh.. if you kept comin over and learning with me then you may end up deciding you want a 650R or similar. or.. you could realize you want something more and \"sportier\" Its all in comfort and riding style. The two bikes I have are pretty different.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Keep your head up and look where you want to go (i.e. through the turn). That's what's helped me the most.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 AM
FML.

brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost brokenboost

I got lucky as hell this past weekend and got a standby seat in the MSF course. As far as Im concerned, it should be MANDATORY! No matter how much you try, you will go where you look. Also the frition zone (point of clutch release when the rear wheel begins getting power) and clutch control will save your ass in those slow corners. I learned a shit ton on the range out there. The quick stop got us used to a skid so I wont freak if I lock them up.

Im getting my first bike this weekend and even though Im licensed I think I will still parking lot it for a day before I hit the road. Ride within your limits, keep moving, and keep your eyes scanning actively. You should be fine.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 AM
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

Well, Ill be looking hard into it to get one. I will be practicing for a while (in parking lots) before I go to the course. Like I said, I am scared shitless of them so I do not want to go for the full shebang until I am ready.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane

Common sense goes a long way. IMO, inexperience is about the most dangerous thing facing a new rider. Some will disagree, I'm sure, but I can tell you that after 15 years of street riding I see things all around me on my bike that I know were there all along but I didn't see as a younger rider. You need to pay attention to everything around you, and after you log some miles you'll see danger where you didn't notice it before (like that pickup truck with nothing but a bungee cord and arm out the window holding a mattress and box spring in the back, or the guy looking at his radio instead of the road, or the car full of young kids goofing off and not paying attention - any of 'em can kill you quickly if you're not paying attention), learn to predict other drivers and riders behavior, and develop an instinct to keep yourself out of trouble.

Beyond that, start on a bike with enough power to scoot you ahead of traffic and out of harm's way if necessary, but not so much power that it'll toss you if you get too heavy on the throttle. A lot of people say keep it to 600cc or smaller...good advice if you're looking at sport bikes, but you can get away with a bigger bike if you're open to a standard or sport tourer. Get good gear, be smart, don't show off too much, and know your surroundings. Have fun!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:14 AM
UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE

Thanks for the advice up to this point. I guess from here it is all about pricing and financing. Bleh.