Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

How do I get my license?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quagmire has disabled reputation
Default How do I get my license?

Misleading thread title because I know HOW to get my license, I'm just having trouble with the execution. Currently I have my learners. Took the DMV computer test last June and was issued my learners. I know I can take the DMV road course or attend the MSF, motorcycle safety foundation course to get my license. My plan was to register at TCC Chesapeake campus and take the MSF. When I called TCC a lady told me the classes were already filled up, this was in March. She also told me that I could show up on a friday around 6 or 7pm and see if someone doesn't show up and I can take their place. My issue with that is I don't want to take off from work, not knowing for sure a spot will open up for me.

Someone mentioned Bayside Harley to take the MSF course.

Halp
Old 05-07-2008, 11:41 AM

zx636skiv is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I get my license?

Have you actually bought a bike yet? If you haven't, some of the dealerships have MSF slots they can slide you in if you buy a bike from them. Unfortunatly, I don't really recommend any of the dealerships around here, so that doesn't really help.

I could be wrong, but I think Bayside's MSF course is through TCC. Can't hurt to call them. My dad went every weekend (in Maryland, same thing) for 5 weeks before somebody didn't show and he got in...might just have to be patient.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 AM
1/2 man 1/2 amazing

specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154

I was planning on getting a bike this summer due to these crazy gas prices. They provide a similar course at NVCC here in northern VA. I have never been on a bike larger then a 50cc excluding a few quads. Is there any previous riding prerequiste that is needed for these courses?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
1/2 man 1/2 amazing

specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154 specialblend154

.. nevermind, i read the other threads.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

taco is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a bike just go to the dmv and take the test. I just took the test at the dmv. I did the msf course a few weeks later because I wanted to and my friend wanted to get his license so I took it with him. The dmv test really isn't that bad.

To the person who said that they were going to get a bike to save on gas. I'm not sure you really save that much on gas. Figure in the purchase price of the bike, personal property tax on it, registration on it, insurance on it, and the fact that you will probably only get 40-50 mpg . Also with a bike you won't ride it that high of a percentage of the time that you otherwise would have drove, you won't ride in the rain, you probably won't ride in the city during high traffic times, you won't take long trips, and you will also go on plenty of rides just for the sake of riding cause it is fun. I got a bike because I think it's fun, I don't think I even come close to breaking even on gas saved, probably less than half of the miles I ride are places that I otherwise would have went. Mostly I just ride to ride.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:09 PM
On 2 now

T226 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by taco
If you have a bike just go to the dmv and take the test. I just took the test at the dmv. I did the msf course a few weeks later because I wanted to and my friend wanted to get his license so I took it with him. The dmv test really isn't that bad.

To the person who said that they were going to get a bike to save on gas. I'm not sure you really save that much on gas. Figure in the purchase price of the bike, personal property tax on it, registration on it, insurance on it, and the fact that you will probably only get 40-50 mpg . Also with a bike you won't ride it that high of a percentage of the time that you otherwise would have drove, you won't ride in the rain, you probably won't ride in the city during high traffic times, you won't take long trips, and you will also go on plenty of rides just for the sake of riding cause it is fun. I got a bike because I think it's fun, I don't think I even come close to breaking even on gas saved, probably less than half of the miles I ride are places that I otherwise would have went. Mostly I just ride to ride.
Actually some people ride a bike more often then a car. Including in the rain, because we know we wont melt.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:30 PM
1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Originally Posted by taco

yeah. you are right. it was just a guise though. i really just want to have a bike.

Only thing i am scared of is learning to ride in NOVA. Its so congested and drivers are so shitty and reckless.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Registered member

Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random Real Random

w00t for being on the Penn
I hear the southside get full fast
Old 05-07-2008, 05:11 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by T226
Actually some people ride a bike more often then a car. Including in the rain, because we know we wont melt.
lol, and some of us don't have a choice.

as far as the test, this time of year is the worst for trying to get into the tcc course. bayside does thier course in thier huge freakin parking lot. personall, i'd just practice a bit in a parking lot (if you feel you need to) and just take the test at dmv. it's not that hard, and less intensive than the tcc final test (i've done both). just make sure you do it on a relatively nimble bike (dmv doesn't supply you with a bike like tcc does). don't go trying to do parking lot manuevers on a goldwing, that kinda thing.

oh, and don't be afraid to argue with the dmv staff. most of them know they haven't a clue what they're talking about with reguards to the physics involved in riding a motorcycle, and if you can prove your point, they'll let some mistakes go. they tried to make me do some dumb shit, i argued my point, and they let it slide. (though, in hindsight i had already told the lady what i do for a living, that might have helped)
Old 05-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute

penn is just as bad...

Quick Reply: How do I get my license?