Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Frustrated with people wrecking

Old 05-10-2007, 06:09 AM
misunderestimated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yamamaha has disabled reputation
Default Frustrated with people wrecking

Now, I know I just posted here not too long ago about my friend Jon wrecking his gsx-r in front of me....and for those curious to know about his condition, he is doing great (just extremely bored at his house). Anyway, back to the subject...

I was out yesterday and a guy whom I had just met 2 nights ago decided to give me a call and see if I wanted to go out riding. So, we decided to take Ruffin mill road to Enon church road (otherwise known as Snake road - im sure you can figure out why). So, we make a pass through it and get to the end to turn around and I tell the guy, Ill go ahead first and we will figure out where we are going next once we get back through. Well, there are 2 slight bends on a downward slope, with an immediate 90º right turn. I go through, taking my time with ease, and get about 300ft up after the turn and decide to slow up and check my mirror for his headlight, and low and behold i see a brake light.

Now, you know when you are looking for headlights, and you see brake lights, something just isn't right. Well, i make a quick turnaround and there he is, all up in the ditch, wrecked right in the middle of that turn and slid about 50ft. on his right side on pavement before going offroad.

So i helped him pull his shit out and we get back up to a lit parking lot, and thank god hes ok. Pretty chill about it, kinda like, shit happens attitude. His bike, the whole right fairing is all scratched up and broken, tore his frame slider straight off and in fact, broke the motor mount with it, broke his right foot peg, and scratched up some other parts. He walked away with 2 strawberries, one on his shoulder, and the other on his shin.

Im just getting tired of people wrecking around me and have actually thought about selling my dam bike because of it. Its not me that im afraid of, but the other people i ride with who dont have the experience i have, but try to keep up. Its just really stressful right now to ride with others because all i can think about is, are they going to wreck in front of me.........

/vent.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:39 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of
Default Re: Frustrated with people wrecking

my buddy wrecked his 600rr the other day on snake road. i used to fuck around on that road ALL the time. i know it like the back of my hand, but now i barely ever ride it, and if i do its pretty chill.

people do stupid shit and ride over their head thinking they know how to ride.. just be glad he didnt wreck you.

dont sell the damn bike, get it on the track and make it a track slut. thats where it belongs.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:57 AM
+rep!

OBXboost has disabled reputation

People just need to realize that if they can't do it as well as you, that they need to do it at the pace that they can keep everything under control. IMO, if you haven't riden with the guy that many times, that maybe you should remind him of that fact a few times.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:05 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

What I usually do if I'm riding with someone inexperienced is either lead and take it really easy, or tell them to lead but emphasize that they need to go a speed that they're comfortable and not worry about holding me up. All I'm concerned with is that everyone goes home in one piece, accident free. I don't care how fast we get up or down the mountain, or who gets there first.

I've thrown around the idea of selling mine but I just can't bring myself to do it. Sometimes it just seems so inconvenient to ride
Old 05-10-2007, 07:09 AM
misunderestimated

Originally Posted by onepointone
my buddy wrecked his 600rr the other day on snake road. i used to fuck around on that road ALL the time. i know it like the back of my hand, but now i barely ever ride it, and if i do its pretty chill.

people do stupid shit and ride over their head thinking they know how to ride.. just be glad he didnt wreck you.

dont sell the damn bike, get it on the track and make it a track slut. thats where it belongs.
i like your thinking....lol. Ya, thats the sad part is that i was SOOOO taking it slow and just didnt think anything of it and next thing i know, im helping him get his bike out the ditch. I mean, the first pass i made through was a little aggressive i admit....I left his ass after the first turn....but i wanted to slow down the second time and keep him in my sights. Good thing i did too, because he was surprised on how quick i came back to him.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

too many people feel they have something to prove to those around them. i've been around "the scene" for a long time, and i see the same things every year. back in the day i used to lead group rides several times every weekend, and i can count on one hand how many times we actually made it thru a whole ride without someone going down. thankfully no one was ever seriously hurt. i soon stopped doing most group rides because of it. no one wants to admit that they have alot to learn, and lately, people seem to "have to have" the biggest meanest sportbikes out there. it's stupid. i took an r6 out for a spirited ride not too long ago and had more fun riding that 600 than i do riding my liter bike. hell, when i WAS leading group rides, i was on a 40hp 1988 honda hawk, and people were still falling like flies behind me. there's just waaay too much ego and not enough brains. tell the guys that think they have something to prove, that they need to take a day and go to a track, and let them eat thier humble pie, or pick up the pieces of what's left of thier bikes. they'll learn more in one track day than they will in years of cruzing the streets.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:20 AM
CLUTCH IT UP

Armenian has disabled reputation

IMO I think you should sell your bike. It sounds like your too concerned about other riders. SHIT HAPPENS. Everyone wrecks-so what.

You say "the other people i ride with who dont have the experience i have". So what experience do you have? Is'nt that R1 you got your first bike? Werent u asking people on here how to wheelie like the second week you had that bike? Have you even been in a position where you lost control of your bike and crashed? I just wanna know what the squid is going on here thats all.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 AM
misunderestimated

yes, my R1 is my first bike, but not the first bike i have ridden. I know i dont have much experience on other bikes, but that doesnt mean i dont have the riding time. How many people put 20K miles on their bikes on an off season? I bought my bike in August last year, and ive gone through 3 sets of tires and im getting ready to replace my sprockets and chain. I have had close calls, people pull out in front of me, slam on brakes, countless times riding in the rain and keeping it under control while WHILE the front tire is hydroplaining, Ive rode in sub freezing temperatures until my hands have actually gone numb, and almost every time i go out i end up coming back in the night. Ive come to the conclusion awhile ago to count on the unexpected. Ive learned how to maintain better control over my bike due to throttle control and body position. I know im not an expert rider, and I have a lot more to learn, thats why i am so eager to go to the track and have experts show me the ropes, but i certaintly wounldnt consider myself to be a baby at riding. I know what to do also when someone does go down, and that is not running away and thinking they are going to be ok. Like i said, im not someone that thinks im the best rider...in fact im the complete opposite. I try to always keep my mouth shut and eyes and ears open when people offer advice....

and no, i dont believe i was asking to wheelie on the second week i got the bike. In fact, in my very first thread i started about getting the bike, i was already asking for help.

And ive also learned how to ride with passengers....and tell them how to ride with me. Theres a HUGE difference between a passenger who knows how to be a passenger, and those who dont, and the ones who have experience have helped me teach the ones who havent been on a bike before how to ride passenger.

Last edited by Yamamaha; 05-10-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:26 PM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

Originally Posted by Armenian
IMO I think you should sell your bike. It sounds like your too concerned about other riders. SHIT HAPPENS. Everyone wrecks-so what.

You say "the other people i ride with who dont have the experience i have". So what experience do you have? Is'nt that R1 you got your first bike? Werent u asking people on here how to wheelie like the second week you had that bike? Have you even been in a position where you lost control of your bike and crashed? I just wanna know what the squid is going on here thats all.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Your Kneegrow

Chino has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by shiftnlift
Now, I know I just posted here not too long ago about my friend Jon wrecking his gsx-r in front of me....and for those curious to know about his condition, he is doing great (just extremely bored at his house). Anyway, back to the subject...

I was out yesterday and a guy whom I had just met 2 nights ago decided to give me a call and see if I wanted to go out riding. So, we decided to take Ruffin mill road to Enon church road (otherwise known as Snake road - im sure you can figure out why). So, we make a pass through it and get to the end to turn around and I tell the guy, Ill go ahead first and we will figure out where we are going next once we get back through. Well, there are 2 slight bends on a downward slope, with an immediate 90º right turn. I go through, taking my time with ease, and get about 300ft up after the turn and decide to slow up and check my mirror for his headlight, and low and behold i see a brake light.

Now, you know when you are looking for headlights, and you see brake lights, something just isn't right. Well, i make a quick turnaround and there he is, all up in the ditch, wrecked right in the middle of that turn and slid about 50ft. on his right side on pavement before going offroad.

So i helped him pull his shit out and we get back up to a lit parking lot, and thank god hes ok. Pretty chill about it, kinda like, shit happens attitude. His bike, the whole right fairing is all scratched up and broken, tore his frame slider straight off and in fact, broke the motor mount with it, broke his right foot peg, and scratched up some other parts. He walked away with 2 strawberries, one on his shoulder, and the other on his shin.

Im just getting tired of people wrecking around me and have actually thought about selling my dam bike because of it. Its not me that im afraid of, but the other people i ride with who dont have the experience i have, but try to keep up. Its just really stressful right now to ride with others because all i can think about is, are they going to wreck in front of me.........

/vent.
sounds like guilt. you also have a responsibility to know who you're riding with. if you don't know them or if you know them to have a "competitive" ego, then its your responsibility to keep that in mind as well. noone should ever have to prove anything out on the streets.

besides..why take someone you don't know to a twisty rode not knowing what kind of riding skills they have? pickup buddy rides ftl...