Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

First bike, some Q's...

Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 AM
NUMBER4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish
Default First bike, some Q's...

I'm in the market for my first bike. I'm really thinking about a newer sport bike and so far I've looked at a few CBRs. I know the best thing to do is start off with a 600, only problem is, I'm a big guy(235lbs., 6'1")... So I don't want to get into a bike that feels too small. The CBR600 felt like a good size. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the 1000 felt about the same size, especially in width.

Any of you out there have some good advice on how I should approach this? To sum it up, I'm a big dude looking for a sport bike that won't feel like a BMX bike.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 AM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom
Default Re: First bike, some Q's...

The only difference in sizing really is the engine, the difference in fit sizes between a 600 and a 1000's are rapidly decreasing to the point where you are talking a quarter inch here and a quarter inch there.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

FYI: No motorcycle you hop on will feel like a BMX. My first bike was a 600, so I can't sit up on some pedestal and tell you not to go with a supersport to start, but I do kind of regret not starting on something a bit smaller. The learning curve is huge on a 600 vs a 250/500.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:28 AM
NUMBER4

fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish

Thanks guys.

Only reason why I was concerned about the size is because I took a ride on an R6 a while back. It felt very small and uncomfortable. On the other hand, the CBR600 I sat on today felt much better.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Registered member

DORRELLE has disabled reputation

hey man the newer the bike the smaller they get try like a 01-03 gsxr 600/750 or try 00-03 zx6/zx7 these bike might fit you better . man ive had 13 street bikes and i think that u should start with a bigger buy you will save yourself some money and the long run people start off with a 600 and than get the hang of it and the wants a bigger faster bike
Old 12-01-2009, 09:07 AM
vangorder

kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox kick rox

Originally Posted by DORRELLE
fucking idiot
DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT GUY....

Get a 600 or smaller for a first bike. There's minute differences in frame size.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:21 AM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by DORRELLE
hey man the newer the bike the smaller they get try like a 01-03 gsxr 600/750 or try 00-03 zx6/zx7 these bike might fit you better . man ive had 13 street bikes and i think that u should start with a bigger buy you will save yourself some money and the long run people start off with a 600 and than get the hang of it and the wants a bigger faster bike
99.9% of street riders can't use a 600cc sportbike to it's full potential. "getting the hang of it" is relative. most newer 600's are PLENTY fast for the street.

If you want to be a dumbass and rip 100mph wheelies, streetrace, or just stroke your ego with a bigger bike, then more power to you, but there's really no need for 180hp in the grande scheme of things.

my .02 though. I've owned 40hp bikes, all the way up to 240hp bikes. To me, it's alot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

If you want real solid advice for a new rider and what bike you should get, do not look here for it or take what is said with a grain of salt.

You are most likely dead set on a 600 anyways, so go get it.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Between Bikes

pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
99.9% of street riders can't use a 600cc sportbike to it's full potential. "getting the hang of it" is relative. most newer 600's are PLENTY fast for the street.

If you want to be a dumbass and rip 100mph wheelies, streetrace, or just stroke your ego with a bigger bike, then more power to you, but there's really no need for 180hp in the grande scheme of things.

my .02 though. I've owned 40hp bikes, all the way up to 240hp bikes. To me, it's alot more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow.
That old adage is even more true when it comes to bikes, Skr00z.

I'm still not a decent rider as I've only been riding for 4 years on and off between sports-related injuries, but I must say that smaller bikes are easier to learn on, much more fun than the super fast sport bikes, and are cheaper overall when it comes to maintenance, insurance, and bike cost. If you feel that you want to upgrade after being on a 250, 400, or 500 for a while, then by all means, go ahead, but remember, you can only use about 2/5 of a 600cc sportbike on the street and about 1/10 of a litre bike. I'm not saying this to scare you, but whatever bike you get will hit the ground in some form or other.

I started out on a 500cc GS500, moved up to a 600cc sport-tourer, then to two 750 sport bikes, and am now looking at something much smaller (400cc). You don't need to be worried about being too big for a bike as much as you do the fit of the bike. If the bike doesn't fit you it doesn't matter how big or small the bike is, it will not be a good bike for you.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:49 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

hahaha, that's a kick ass sig line Pasty.

Quick Reply: First bike, some Q's...