Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Filtering (a.k.a. Lane Splitting) Legal... for mopeds?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Go Fuck Yourself!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FilipinoMafia has disabled reputation
Default Re: Filtering (a.k.a. Lane Splitting) Legal... for mopeds?

Definition
Virginia Code section 46.2-100 defines a moped as a vehicle that:

travels on three wheels or less,
has a seat that is no less than 24 inches in height, measured from the ground to the middle of the seat, and
has a gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that displaces less than 50 cubic centimeters.

Restrictions
Operation of mopeds on any Interstate Highway System is prohibited by Virginia Law. Operation of mopeds on highways and public vehicular areas by persons under age 16 is prohibited by Virginia law.
No moped shall be driven on any highway or public vehicular area faster than 35 miles per hour. Operating a moped faster than 35 miles per hour is deemed by Virginia law to be operating a motorcycle, which requires you to title and register the moped as a motorcycle and obtain a motorcycle license. Moped riders must carry some form of identification that includes name, address, and date of birth.
Although you do not need a driver's license to operate a moped, you may not operate a moped if you have been declared a habitual offender or your license is suspended or revoked for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Moped drivers are required to abide by the same traffic laws and regulations as automobile drivers. Detailed information on Virginia's traffic laws and regulations is available in the Driver's Manual. In addition, certain local governments may impose restrictions on moped operation. Violations of the moped laws are considered a traffic infraction and convictions will appear on your driving record.
All DUI laws apply to mopeds operated on public highways.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 AM
I like grape drank

Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican Halfrican

Originally Posted by one wheel drive
Was it before February 28, 2012?
Yeah it was, bad ass. I'm glad we finally get to do this.

But, watch for an increase in motorcycle collisions this year. Car drivers aren't going to know its legal and therefore some people are going to get clipped.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:43 AM
TwoWheels YearRound

Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade

Originally Posted by FilipinoMafia
Definition
Virginia Code section 46.2-100 defines a moped as a vehicle that:

travels on three wheels or less,
has a seat that is no less than 24 inches in height, measured from the ground to the middle of the seat, and
has a gasoline, electric, or hybrid motor that displaces less than 50 cubic centimeters.

Restrictions
Operation of mopeds on any Interstate Highway System is prohibited by Virginia Law. Operation of mopeds on highways and public vehicular areas by persons under age 16 is prohibited by Virginia law.
No moped shall be driven on any highway or public vehicular area faster than 35 miles per hour. Operating a moped faster than 35 miles per hour is deemed by Virginia law to be operating a motorcycle, which requires you to title and register the moped as a motorcycle and obtain a motorcycle license. Moped riders must carry some form of identification that includes name, address, and date of birth.
Although you do not need a driver's license to operate a moped, you may not operate a moped if you have been declared a habitual offender or your license is suspended or revoked for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Moped drivers are required to abide by the same traffic laws and regulations as automobile drivers. Detailed information on Virginia's traffic laws and regulations is available in the Driver's Manual. In addition, certain local governments may impose restrictions on moped operation. Violations of the moped laws are considered a traffic infraction and convictions will appear on your driving record.
All DUI laws apply to mopeds operated on public highways.
Um, thanks... but that's not what we were talking about.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
TonzAGunz

Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88 Dubee88

Originally Posted by Halfrican
Yeah it was, bad ass. I'm glad we finally get to do this.

But, watch for an increase in motorcycle collisions this year. Car drivers aren't going to know its legal and therefore some people are going to get clipped.
Im glad we get to as well. It makes life much easier
Old 03-12-2012, 12:30 PM
TwoWheels YearRound

Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade Southwade

Originally Posted by Dubee88
Im glad we get to as well. It makes life much easier
Yeah, no more instant reckless driving tickets. That shit had me paranoid.

I had hoped when this law passed it would accidently un-ban filtering for motorcycles.

Hopefully one day. It annoys me everyday too, all that wasted unused space
Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM
N2OWNED

99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula

Originally Posted by Halfrican
The motorcycle's thing is not true. In VA you cannot pass a motorcycle and a motorcycle in the same lane. Or ride next to each other, only staggered.

My dad and I got pulled over, doing 25 in a neighborhood all because I was riding next to him.

*edit* I read this law and now I am very confused as to why we got pulled over. WTH?!
You got pulled because even though the change has passed, it doesn't go into effect until later this year.

Pretty sure it remains illegal until for motorcycles to ride 2 per lane until like July 1, 2012.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Go Fuck Yourself!

Um, thanks... but that's not what we were talking about.

I posted that because I rarely see a two lane road that are 35mph. The thread topic is about moped lane splitting right? Obviously, if you are lane splitting you are on a 45mph road, right?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 PM
TwoWheels YearRound

Originally Posted by FilipinoMafia
I posted that because I rarely see a two lane road that are 35mph. The thread topic is about moped lane splitting right? Obviously, if you are lane splitting you are on a 45mph road, right?
You don't come to shitty Norfolk much I guess... there's quite a few 35mph 4 lane roads around here.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Go Fuck Yourself!

You don't come to shitty Norfolk much I guess... there's quite a few 35mph 4 lane roads around here.

LOL! I avoid Norfolk as much as I can.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
TwoWheels YearRound

Don't blame you.

Quick Reply: Filtering (a.k.a. Lane Splitting) Legal... for mopeds?