Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

downed rider

Old 10-02-2004, 08:31 PM
~Dobie~1974-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dobieschick has disabled reputation
Unhappy downed rider

hey guys, my husband was killed in a motorcycle accident on the Brambleton Bridge july 3. I was just wondering if any of yall were around there that night. It happened around 7:40pm. I'm just looking for some answers. Right now the cops are being ass holes and wont even talk to me.If anyone can just tell me if they saw it I would like to know. He was with two other bikers and they all hang out at the 7-11 by NSU. I have already talked to them but I am just looking for more answers. Thanks
Old 10-02-2004, 11:51 PM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus
Default Re: downed rider

Originally Posted by dobieschick
hey guys, my husband was killed in a motorcycle accident on the Brambleton Bridge july 3. I was just wondering if any of yall were around there that night. It happened around 7:40pm. I'm just looking for some answers. Right now the cops are being ass holes and wont even talk to me.If anyone can just tell me if they saw it I would like to know. He was with two other bikers and they all hang out at the 7-11 by NSU. I have already talked to them but I am just looking for more answers. Thanks

was that the one near PETA? If so I dont think anyone knows him here on this forum. I just know the road is very very bumping.....

Last edited by Jesus; 10-02-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:59 AM

s2k7 has disabled reputation

sorry to hear that ...i know of nothing
Old 10-03-2004, 08:27 AM
~Dobie~1974-2004

yes the accident started at the beginning of the bridge heading towards Norfolk General. PETA is off to the left side of the bridge.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Patron

from what saw in the news he lost control
Old 10-03-2004, 08:43 AM
~Dobie~1974-2004

I actualy just got the news report. they sent me a copy and they reported the story wrong. They said he was speeding and doing weelies. There were a couple of witnesses and they have said that he hit the bump that is in the right lane and it made is bike buck. When that happened the bike went airborn and he hit the guard rail.He had fram sliders on his honda so the bike slid and took him with it. I've been over to the bridge a lot and when ever I am over there a lot of bikers always seem to be riding around. some even do weelies across the bride. Just wondering if any of those guys are on here. And do yall ever set up memorial rides for downed bikers?
Old 10-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Patron

Originally Posted by dobieschick
I actualy just got the news report. they sent me a copy and they reported the story wrong. They said he was speeding and doing weelies. There were a couple of witnesses and they have said that he hit the bump that is in the right lane and it made is bike buck. When that happened the bike went airborn and he hit the guard rail.He had fram sliders on his honda so the bike slid and took him with it. I've been over to the bridge a lot and when ever I am over there a lot of bikers always seem to be riding around. some even do weelies across the bride. Just wondering if any of those guys are on here. And do yall ever set up memorial rides for downed bikers?
that road sucks..... in a car or on a bike. But I never rode my bike there. That side of the Road is the worst. Its hard to tell what happen when he was riding. Without other riders being there at the time. Riders get sterotype(sp) alot of I wont be surpize if its alittle wrong. As far as memorial ride this forum hasnt done one and hope we never will. I have just heard of ones that other people setup.

Last edited by Jesus; 10-03-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/sh...hreadid=107770

"Tonight one of our fellow riders fell.

Although most/all of the Coast Riders may not have known him personally, a local rider on a red 2003 Honda 600RR crashed on the Brambleton Avenue Bridge in Norfolk, and died at the scene.

His was known by the name "Dolby", and was a Phillipino in his late '20s/early �30s. He was a true rider, who always rode with a complete set of decent riding gear, and lived for backroads and the twisties. He always seemed to know his limits, and although he was faster than the average rider, he had no problems NOT being the fastest guy in the group, because he always knew we'd regroup at the next stop.

After riding some good curves with him (and a small group of 4 other fairly skilled riders) for about an hour, the group split up after getting off of 264 East at Tidewater Dr (coming from Chesapeake, just after the Berkeley Bridge). I stopped for gas, and called one of my friends who'd turned the other way with Dolby, to see if they still wanted to ride. His reply was frantic, only communicating that Dolby had wrecked on the Brambleton bridge, and looked like he was dead.

I rushed to the scene, expecting my friend's phone conversation to be an exaggeration...but it wasn't. Dolby had somehow crashed while crossing the bridge going towards Hampton Blvd.

Considering he had on a full face helmet, armored jacket, jeans, and good gloves, and was riding at a fairly tame speed of around 55mph, the crash was a worst case scenario. While riding just behind the two other riders who were going the same way, he apparently accelerated while somewhat leaned over, just before the big road-patch bump at the base of the bridge. Whether he highsided or tankslapped isn't clear, but he came off the bike, slid up the bridge, and bounced off the curb in exactly the wrong way.

He was immediately unconscious, so he didn�t suffer, but the accident scene was gruesome. Over 20 emergency vehicles (literally) arrived at the scene, and Brambleton Ave was closed for 2 full hours.

To make the situation worse, some busybody woman who drove up on the scene after the wreck, immediately started feeding the police B.S. stories about the other �6" (even though it was 2) riders �riding wheelies�, and �driving like maniacs out of control�. She then took her 4 year-old (!!!) kid out of the car, and walked him to within 6 feet of the body, which had massive bleeding from the head, and a giant pool of blood underneath!

As if she hadn�t caused enough grief, she saw the �News Channel 3" crew at the foot of the bridge, and promptly rushed over to feed them an even bigger tale. Afterwards, she came up to me and started blabbing, but I just cut her off, telling her �what the fuck does it matter?, have some respect for the dead!, and take your kid away from the body!�.

To ice the cake, the 11 o�clock news report on channel 3 not only was inaccurate, and disrespectful, but it�s sensationalism will hurt us all in the future. Dolby never rode or even attempted wheelies, but the �Top Story� of the night was that a motorcyclist died after losing control while �trying to do a wheelie�. A fairly responsible rider who died was portrayed to the audience as a reckless jackass. All local sportbike riders are now likely to be profiled even harder by the police, and traffic violation sentences for local riders will become more harsh. The real story should have been more along the lines of �Norfolk�s half-assed road repairs cause fatal low-speed motorcycle accident�.

At least Dolby died doing what he loved. When we stopped on the way back from carving corners, he said his last words: "Man, I love that road!".

Dolby left behind a wife, and 2 young children."

I remembered reading about a wreck on a bridge a while ago. The piece above was a post by griz over on cycleforums.com that was riding with him when the wreck happened. He works at a bike shop in Norfolk last I heard. Don't know which one it is but I know its not sport cycle center(right by ODU). Sorry to hear of your loss and I apologize if the posting above is graphic or you've already seen it.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:08 AM
~Dobie~1974-2004

I have never seen the post. Thank you so much for putting this on here. I know of the guy who wrote this and I know where his shop is. I have actualy gone by there and sat outside but have not had the courage to go in and introduce myself to him. Once I am in a calmer mood and can think I will write on here and let everyone know about my husband (Dobie).Today it ahs been Three months and I will be heading over to the bridge today to sit for awhile and add another flower. Thank you again
Old 10-03-2004, 12:59 PM
Patron

Thanks shane......Only time will heal your lost. If there is a ride for him I am sure alot of us will go.

Quick Reply: downed rider