Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Dirtbike help!!!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:18 AM
yaaat.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington
Default Dirtbike help!!!

So I bought a 1985 Honda CR125R dirtbike in December, and it ran just fine when I bought it. Then a few rides later it started to putter and shut off while riding it. So it sat for a few months and I decided to try and see what the problem was one day, and left it out for a few days with the carb off. I had put rags in the engine where the carb goes up to it. So, yesterday I went to mess with it again and it wouldn't kick. So, I brought it to a friends house and we broke everything down and got the piston free, and now it kicks, but it still doesn't want to run. You can push start it and drop it into gear and it sputters and almost wants to start. carb has been cleaned, carb is getting fuel, spark plug is good, wire is good. Any help?
Old 08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute3xb18 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dirtbike help!!!

The float may be stuck or something else unexplainable..check the kill switch also it may be grounding out. pop the plug out get a medicine dropper with mixed gas drop a few drops in .screw the plug back in it should start on the first kick. then if the float is stuck it should rattle free..but imho dirt bikes are the devil I never had a two stroke that I liked..
Old 08-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Mutt has disabled reputation

By it wouldn't kick, you mean wouldn't kick through? Like it was seized?

It's hard to diagnose over the computer. It sounds like your original problem may have been as simple as a fouled plug, two strokes like to do that. Or your topend may be worn beyond serviceable limits, no compression and it won't run.

Now, did you take the cylinder off when you got the piston free? I'm going to take a guess that you broke the ring.

Is the CDI/coil sparking?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:07 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

try a new plug first, like already stated, but i'd be doing a compression check asap. 2 strokes need top end rebuilds quite often, it's pretty much routine maintenance on them.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:26 AM
yaaat.

ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington ryanherington

The plug in it is new, with no riding on it. we tried that first when it stopped working. a friends dad told me it might be the needles so i'm going to tear it down again tongiht, and replace the ring and piston and look at the needles. hopefully i can get this thing running sooon.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 AM
yaaat.

Originally Posted by Mutt
By it wouldn't kick, you mean wouldn't kick through? Like it was seized?

It's hard to diagnose over the computer. It sounds like your original problem may have been as simple as a fouled plug, two strokes like to do that. Or your topend may be worn beyond serviceable limits, no compression and it won't run.

Now, did you take the cylinder off when you got the piston free? I'm going to take a guess that you broke the ring.

Is the CDI/coil sparking?
Didn't take the cylinder off, so i'm replacing the ring and piston tonight. and coil is sparking.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:29 AM
yaaat.

Originally Posted by 3xb18
The float may be stuck or something else unexplainable..check the kill switch also it may be grounding out. pop the plug out get a medicine dropper with mixed gas drop a few drops in .screw the plug back in it should start on the first kick. then if the float is stuck it should rattle free..but imho dirt bikes are the devil I never had a two stroke that I liked..
I want a four stroke, but I'm stuck with this for now.