Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Can't decide...2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000 or the Yamaha YZF-R1

Old 03-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nathan D. has disabled reputation
Default Can't decide...2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000 or the Yamaha YZF-R1

I can't decide what bike I want to get. What are some of your opinions on the two brands and opinions on the specific model (preferably with actual ridden experience behind your opinion). Thanks in advance

Addition: Also, any suggestions on any other 1000cc bike?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:28 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Can't decide...2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000 or the Yamaha YZF-R1

both of them got a pretty big revamp this year. i like the riding position of the r1 better than the suzuki, but i prefer the suzuki's motor. that's a hard choice. i think the one major thing for me is the fly-by wire throttle on the r1. i don't like it at all, but that's just my opinion. both of them are stupidly powerfull and have good suspension, though i prefer the suzuki in that department. you'd think yamaha would have the best suspension on the market being they own ohlins. i don't have THAT much seat time on either bike, only a handfull of miles on each, but they're both sweet bikes. for serious backroad riding and/or trackdays, i think i'd rather have the r1 just because i feel more comfortable on it going fast into corners. the gsxr feels a bit more stable exiting corners though. that may have just been due to the suspension settings on the bike though.

i say sit on them both and see what you like more. being comfortable with seating position can go a long way. i don't mean comfortable as in riding all day kind of thing, i mean comfortable as in which would be more confidence inspiring.

on a side note, yamaha replacement parts (OEM) are ALOT cheaper usually than suzuki parts.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

oddball has disabled reputation

suzuki for top speed but r1 for turns
Old 03-28-2007, 03:51 PM
apex-digital.net

slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6 slowr6

Yamaha all the way
Old 03-28-2007, 04:04 PM
GO GO GODZILLA!

Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto Excel Auto

you putting your knee down? or you into straight lines?

id prefer a yamaha for handling and knee dragging anyday
over a suzuki. but the 1k suzuki is stupid fast.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like the r1 is winning so far. I don't need top speed out of the bike; handling is much more important. I actually just got back from a local dealer and sat on the R1, R6, and GSX-R1000. I love the R1 and after hearing your replies so far, I'm definitely leaning towards Yamaha and heard they're very reliable bikes. So basically I'm debating between the R6 and R1 (so far; all depends on if someone mentions another bike that I should look at).

OK, next set of questions (by the way, I appreciate all of your answers; you're definitely helping):

1.) Besides the displacement difference, what other real reason would there be to get an R6 over and R1 or vice-versa?

2.) I'm leaning towards the red, but I also like the charcoal color. What do yall think is the sexiest?

Thanks again guys!

oh and also, you mentioned the drive-by-wire. My friend has a Toyota Corolla with it and it seems "weird" too. How is it on the bike and why do you dislike it so much?

Last edited by Nathan D.; 03-28-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:19 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

go pick up the new issue of super streetbike, there's a reader's comments section on th 07 r1 in it.

as for the fly-by-wire... there's several reasons i don't like it.

#1- the throttle is too light turning. in bumpy turns i actually had the weight of my wrist moving making the throttle bounce. it's annoying. i'm sure a slightly stiffer spring would cure it though. that's personal preference, you may not even notice it.

#2- you can't just smack the throttle open pulling away from a light (meaning it's hard to "clutch it up" from a standstill). you kinda have to get a few revs in it before it'll really do anything. that's something to do with the programming i'm sure. probably yamaha's way of preventing noobs from flipping over backwards as much.

#3- and this is just me, but i don't like the idea that there is no direct mechanical connection between my hand and the throttle bodies. i know alot of people are going to bring up the fact that alot of newer cars have been like that for a long time, but i just don't like the idea on a bike. that, and that's just one more electrical gremlin that could bite you at some point. but don't let that make any difference to you, that's coming from a guy who's still big into old skool stuff with carbs and points ignitions.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
go pick up the new issue of super streetbike, there's a reader's comments section on th 07 r1 in it.

as for the fly-by-wire... there's several reasons i don't like it.

#1- the throttle is too light turning. in bumpy turns i actually had the weight of my wrist moving making the throttle bounce. it's annoying. i'm sure a slightly stiffer spring would cure it though. that's personal preference, you may not even notice it.

#2- you can't just smack the throttle open pulling away from a light (meaning it's hard to "clutch it up" from a standstill). you kinda have to get a few revs in it before it'll really do anything. that's something to do with the programming i'm sure. probably yamaha's way of preventing noobs from flipping over backwards as much.

#3- and this is just me, but i don't like the idea that there is no direct mechanical connection between my hand and the throttle bodies. i know alot of people are going to bring up the fact that alot of newer cars have been like that for a long time, but i just don't like the idea on a bike. that, and that's just one more electrical gremlin that could bite you at some point. but don't let that make any difference to you, that's coming from a guy who's still big into old skool stuff with carbs and points ignitions.
#1 and #3 aren't too significant to me but #2 bothers me. Does the bike have a rev limit at a stand still or does it just "slip" into gear if you try to take off hard from a stand still? Also, how is the throttle response compare to the conventional throttle? Any idea if you can still float the valves (engines peak limitation; peak RPM causing extremely loud and fast revs turning everyones head in a 5 mile range )? Basically, I'm trying to figure out how much control the bike has over me. Thanks for your help man.

Last edited by Nathan D.; 03-30-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:17 PM
CLUTCH IT UP

Armenian has disabled reputation

have you ever ridden a motorcycle on the street?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:09 AM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

The bike is you on the street. Anyways I am very upset with the fly by wire or as you guys say drive by wire although I guess ride by wire would be even more appropriate. I can only see it as a safety hazard to both you and others around you. Every time a layer of complexity is added to a machine or unit there are more ways in which it can and will break. After taking apart my 500 and cleaned the carbs I found that I really feel safe with them. If The cable snaps a return cable pulls them closed, if the return cable snaps there is a return spring, even if both throttle and and return cable snap the return spring should close the carbs again. Then there is always the kill engine switch.

I work with electronics at work, and at school I have been studying digital and electrical circuits this semester as some required classes for my computer science major. I just know that there are certain states that those units can be put in, however rare and impossible it seems that will freeze them open in some bad way.

Quick Reply: Can't decide...2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000 or the Yamaha YZF-R1