Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

anyone ever ride to deals gap from richmond?

Old 09-20-2005, 03:10 PM
ASE Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of
Default anyone ever ride to deals gap from richmond?

me and my friend are thinking about riding out to the mountains this weekend. taking route 6 - route 29 - route 56 - blueridge - skyline - 33 in to west va, staying the night, and coming back. we did this 2 weeks ago, and we were both wondering how long it would take to get to deals gap, and if it would be worth it to go down there instead. 56 is pretty good, but a little tight, but 33 near skyline, and 33 right over the west va boarder is insane when in the mountains.

anyone make the trip to deals gap on a bike? any decent roads on the way down there? about how long? i got to danville in about 2 hours and 30 when i went down for the ama races.

anyone?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

zx12guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anyone ever ride to deals gap from richmond?

never been to deals gap, but I hear 250 gets pretty nasty when you get close to/cross over the west va line.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:11 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zx12guy
never been to deals gap, but I hear 250 gets pretty nasty when you get close to/cross over the west va line.
nasty as in good? 33 is where its at. banked, changing elevation turns. the road is nice, clean pavement (looked like it was recently paved), it has high speed, slow speed, everything. some spots going up and down the mountain have 2 lanes for passing, but it makes it real nice to take a good line. plus it is absolutely beautiful out there.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:03 AM
Registered Member

Yes as in good, and to be honest you described 33 the same exact way a friend of mine described 250........
Old 09-21-2005, 05:58 AM
Patron

Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune

Deals Gap aka teh dragon is teh ultimate road
Old 09-21-2005, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

From what I've heard its about an 8 hour drive, and then the most curves per mile in the country, not something I'd want to attempt after 8 hours on a bike, and then ride back, plus the chance of crashing and having no way to get back. Its definetly worth it from what I heard but personally I'd find a way to trailer down there and make it a minimum 2 day deal to make it worth your trip, also go during the week, less people and police than weekends.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chapter8
Deals Gap aka teh dragon is teh ultimate road
too bad its a tourist spot now.........
Old 09-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Patron

Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus Jesus

Originally Posted by zx12guy
too bad its a tourist spot now.........
yup pretty much but I would still go
Old 09-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

go to killboy.com and for pics and some info. There's a hotel out there where each room has a garage for your bike. Great idea if you ask me. Plus there's some other places that cater towards riders out there. I wouldn't ride out there because I'd be too fried after 8 hours to give the road the attention it deserves. The weekends are a madhouse out there from several people I know that have gone out there. When I go it'll be during the week
Old 09-22-2005, 06:22 AM
ASE Master

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
From what I've heard its about an 8 hour drive, and then the most curves per mile in the country, not something I'd want to attempt after 8 hours on a bike, and then ride back, plus the chance of crashing and having no way to get back. Its definetly worth it from what I heard but personally I'd find a way to trailer down there and make it a minimum 2 day deal to make it worth your trip, also go during the week, less people and police than weekends.
i was thinking trailering would be the way to go. atleast going up to 33, there are nice roads on the way. i think im just going to wait till spring to go. when we rode up to west va 2 weeks ago, we rode from 8am-9:30pm and 11am - 10pm the next day. of course we stopped for gas/food every now and then, but we covered 625 miles. i just think 8 hours of straight road is going to wear your ass out faster.

Quick Reply: anyone ever ride to deals gap from richmond?