Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Another option instead of powdercoating...Line-X

Old 06-27-2006, 02:30 PM
B18C1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mischiefse7en has disabled reputation
Default Another option instead of powdercoating...Line-X

Well, I took my passenger pegs off last week to paint them black. And as I was riding around,(Hey! Im not going to spend a perfectly good non-raining day painting! I was riding instead!) I was thinking about all the things I wanted to paint black (swing arm, pegs, rear sets), and about painting/powdercoating and the cost, and rock chips and repainting etc. So it got me to thinking about something obvious that wouldnt chip off and would be the same price or cheaper to get done. Which is quite convenient for me since my dad owns a Line-X shop.

So anyway, today I dropped off my pass. pegs, rear sets, and shifter assembly to get sprayed. I should get them back tomorrow or thursday and I'll get some pics up for you guys. I also got a swingarm off of the Ebay, so I'll be getting that done soon too.

I was thinking this might be a good option for some of you guys that have scraped parts or that do track days and the like. For instance, If you dropped your bike and scratched the swingarm, you could just get the scratched spots resprayed for pretty cheap, rather than having to pay to get the whole swing arm re-powdercoated. Plus theres no heat involved, so you'd just have to tape up holes instead of removing seals and bearings.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:46 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: Another option instead of powdercoating...Line-X

i've seen it done before, though line-x is thick, and heavy. should be cool for smal parts though. seems to be alot more textured than powdercoat, from what i remember from my old truck.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:09 PM
B18C1

Its thick on beds because its supposed to be durable and long lasting, and its really only about 1/8" thick up to 1/4" in places. Mine should just have enough on it to make it black with a light texture, not the bumpy texture they put on beds. The texture is actually added on for "non-skid" reasons, if they didnt, it would be smooth-ish and shiney.

Last edited by mischiefse7en; 06-27-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:45 AM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

That might add extra weight to the bike though (not that you would actually notice since it would be a few grams but think of the whole bike was coated) In my opinion you should pull seals and bearings anyways because if you dont if Line-X some how gets underneat them then it can still trash parts.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

soniccbr has disabled reputation

Who the hell cares about scratches ona track bike? I buy my shit to ride, not look at.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:26 AM
dont wuurry

RightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4gvtec
Its thick on beds because its supposed to be durable and long lasting, and its really only about 1/8" thick up to 1/4" in places. Mine should just have enough on it to make it black with a light texture, not the bumpy texture they put on beds. The texture is actually added on for "non-skid" reasons, if they didnt, it would be smooth-ish and shiney.
thats intresting to know. i was going to add it would look ugly becasue of the texture but i didnt relize thats done like that for a reason and it can be smooth/semi smooth.

good info
Old 06-29-2006, 04:26 PM
B18C1

Originally Posted by soniccbr
Who the hell cares about scratches ona track bike? I buy my shit to ride, not look at.
Maybe people that like their stuff to look nice? Everything on the RR is black or grey-ish, except a few parts that are silver, it sure looks so much better all one color.

Originally Posted by RightDiddy
thats intresting to know. i was going to add it would look ugly becasue of the texture but i didnt relize thats done like that for a reason and it can be smooth/semi smooth.

good info
It can be completely smooth, buts its shiny and looks like plastic and is slick. The texture in truck beds are actually done after the spraying is done, for the non-skid reasons, and it literally takes 20 seconds or less to add the texture.