Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Another New Rider With another Question

Old 01-08-2009, 04:07 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PktHlk has disabled reputation
Default Another New Rider With another Question

Sup! I plan on buyin my first bike in April. Unfortunately I am torn between the GSX 650f and the GSX-R600. A little background... I am 115 lbs and about 5'4". I know that any bike I buy I will have to lower. I am concerned about the weight and the handle bar position.. I will be wanting to ride long distances alot as well as commute( weather permiitin). Just wanted to hear experienced opinions.. I like both bikes... Let me know what you think.. Thanx bunches!
P.S I'm stuck on sport bikes and suzuki. Sorry
Old 01-08-2009, 04:22 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow
Default Re: Another New Rider With another Question

Well being you have ruled out the other bikes(Ninja 250, 500 and 650).
Have you tried sitting on them to find which ones suits better? Also have you looked into the SV650SF? It is a V twin and also a good beginner bike.

Also if you haven't done so, I would look into the MSF BRC and try and schedule it when you can. They go fast and the seats fill up when the weather gets nice.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:32 AM
Registered Member

jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo

You might want to open up your options instead of being so closed minded about what you want to get. Sounds to me like you want to be seen instead of the actual the joy of riding, just my assumption. Sport bikes aren't really that great for long distances, you're going to be really sore...

1. Take the MSF (a motorcycle safety class that results in getting the motorcycle endorsement). This is much easier than trying to get it through the DMV. The class cost ranges from state to state (some places it’s free or cheap, other places it can be like $250). Either way it’s well worth it.
2. Buy some gear. The bare minimum is a helmet, motorcycle jacket, gloves, and some riding boots. You can take it up a safety notch and get leathers, or riding pants, or racing boots, or a back protector (or all of them of course). All it takes is for a cell-phone clad SUV driver to rear-end you and end your life or disable it, so gear up.
3. Read, read, read.
4. My recommendation is that a Ninja 500/650 is an excellent starter bike. It’s light, cheap, faster than most cars, great on gas, a blast in the corners, comfortable, and extremely forgiving. You can always resell it when you are ready for a stronger bike.

Now, there’s always the debate about getting a 600 as a first bike. Sure, you could do it. I’d say maybe 50% of people out there could handle it. But there is no way to tell if you are one of those people. Plus if you drop that one, you will cry a little more The 600’s are less forgiving and tempt you to go faster when you should be more focused on learning control.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:32 AM
Registered Member

PktHlk has disabled reputation

Thank man. I haven't sat on the SV but I have on all the others even the kawai's. Love the suzuzki's. I am set up for the MSF class. That was my first step lol. Just not positive which would be the best without ridin them. They haven't let me do that yet. Just bein a chick about it i guess. Thanx for the input thought,,,
Old 01-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Atleast you are starting off on a bike that will allow room to learn, grow and become a better rider.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Between Bikes

pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty

Originally Posted by PktHlk
Sup! I plan on buyin my first bike in April. Unfortunately I am torn between the GSX 650f and the GSX-R600. A little background... I am 115 lbs and about 5'4". I know that any bike I buy I will have to lower. I am concerned about the weight and the handle bar position.. I will be wanting to ride long distances alot as well as commute( weather permiitin). Just wanted to hear experienced opinions.. I like both bikes... Let me know what you think.. Thanx bunches!
P.S I'm stuck on sport bikes and suzuki. Sorry
You may want to check out the Suzuki GS-500. It has the appearance of a sportbike, is great to learn on, has a comfortable riding position, and is an all around good bike. If I had the money I would pick up another one.

If you're stuck on those two then I'd get the gixxer.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Registered Member

jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo jpanelo

http://www.gladiusstyle.com/
Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Out of your choices the GSX650F would probably be a better commuter bike, as I think the riding position is less slouched over. Go sit on them and see which feels better.

Also I doubt you will get the opportunity to test drive a bike, unless you go to a Harley dealer, and even then I'm not sure what the requirements are to test ride.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Ich liebe Bier

BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin

I wouldn't get a GSXR 600 for a first bike. Especially if your going to be mostly commuting with it.

I know this is going to be a long read, but it is well worth the time.

Came across this, don't know the original author but I think it was very well written to say the least. Yes it is long, but it is a very good read, especially for a new rider or someone thinking about getting involved with motorcycles.

"Since another riding season is upon us, it always happens. We get lots of inquiries from potential new riders on how to get into the sport, what's a good first ride, where to take safety classes and so on. One particular type of inquiry that pops up with almost clockwork frequency is from a small number of new riders who wish to buy 600cc and up sportbikes as their first ride.

I, along with lots of other forum members, have entertained this question of 600cc - 1000cc sportbikes for a first ride with patience and lots and lots of repetition. It seems this small group of newbies keep coming back with the same arguments and questions over and over again. As a result, I am going to take the time to try and put into words, answers that get repeated over and over on the forums.

First, I would like to address the common arguments we see here as to why a 600cc sportbike simply must be a first ride along with rebuttals. Second, I want to cover the rationale behind why we steer new riders away from these machines.

False Logic

A whole slew of questions pop up from potential riders trying to convince the community that a 600cc sportbike is a suitable first ride and then proceed to explain to us why they are the exception. I guess the newbies figure by swamping the forum with the same questions in lots of places we might trip up and endorse such a machine. Hasn't happened yet but they keep on trying.

For those of you that try to convince us to endorse a 600cc and up sportbike, I offer you the following responses to your arguments.

"I can only afford to get one bike so it might as be the one that I want."

"I don't want to go through the hassle of buying and selling a used bike to learn on."

These two lines of reasoning pop up as one of the more common arguments. I am going to offer first a piece of wisdom which is stated with great regularity on the forums: This is your first bike, not your last.

Motorcycle riders are reputed to change bikes, on average, once every two to three years. If this is the case (and it appears to be based on my observations), the bike you learn to ride on will not be in your garage in a few years time anyway whether you buy it new or used. You're going to sell it regardless to get something different, newer, more powerful, more comfortable, etc.

Yes, buying a bike involves effort and a financial outlay. Most of us simply cannot afford to drop thousands of dollars on a whim every time we want to try something new. Getting into riding is a serious commitment in time and money and we want the best value out of it as possible.

However, if you can afford to buy outright or finance a 600cc or up sportbike that costs $8000 on average, you can probably afford to spend $2000 or so on a used bike to learn on. Most of the beginner sportbikes we recommend here (Ninja 250/500, GS500) can all be found used for between $1500-$3000.

Done properly, buying and selling that first bike is a fairly painless process. Buying a used bike is no harder than buying new. I would argue it is a bit easier. No different than buying a used car from a private seller. If you've done that at least once, you'll know what to do in buying a used bike.

Selling a beginner bike is even easier. You want to know why? Because beginner bikes are constantly in demand (especially Ninja 250s). These bikes spend their lives migrating from one new rider to the next to act as a teaching vehicle. It is not uncommon for a beginner bike to see four or five different owners before it is wrecked or junked. There are a lot of people out there looking for inexpensive, reliable bikes and all of our beginner recommendations fit into that category.

If you buy a used Ninja 250 for $1500 and ride it for a season or two, you can be almost guaranteed that you will be able to resell that bike for $1300 or so when you are done with it provided you take care of it. And on a bike like the Ninja 250, the average turnaround on such a sale is two to three days. Believe me, the demand is there.

And look at it this way: For those one or two seasons of riding using the above example, excluding maintenance costs which you have no matter what, you will have paid a net cost of $200 to ride that Ninja. That is extremely cheap for what is basically a bike rental for a year or two. Considering it can cost $300 or more just to rent a 600cc sportbike for a weekend (not including the $1500-$2000 security deposit), that is economic value that you simply cannot argue with.

Vanity Arguments

"The beginner bikes you recommend are dated and ugly looking."

"I want something that's modern and stylish."

"I want a bike that looks good and that I look good on."

I call these the vanity arguments. These are probably the worst reasons you can have for wanting a particular bike.

I will not disagree that aesthetics plays a huge part in the bikes that appeal to us. Motorcycles are the ultimate expression in personal taste in vehicles. Far more than cars. Bikes are more personal and the connection between rider and machine is far more intimate on a bike than a car. On a bike, you are part of the machine, not just a passive passenger.

However, as entry into the world of riding and with the temporary status that most beginner bikes have in our garages, looks should be the least of your concerns. As long as the bike is in good repair and mechanically sound, that is usually enough for most new riders to be happy. Most riders are happy to ride and they will ride anything given the choice between riding or not riding.

If you are looking at bike mainly because of how it looks and/or how you will look on it and how others will perceive you on it, take a good, long, honest look as to why you want to ride. There are lots of people out there who buy things strictly because of how it makes them appear in the eyes of others. It's shallow and vain but it is a fact of life. It shouldn't be a factor in choosing that first ride but it is. I won't deny that.

The difference is: a BMW or Mercedes generally won't leave you hanging on for dear life if you stomp on the accelerator or throw you into the road if you slam on the brakes a little hard. Virtually every sportbike made in the past 10-15 years will do both of those things given a chance to do so (for reasons that will be explained later).

The population at large may think you're cool and look great on that brand new sportbike and ooh-and-ahh at you. The oohs can quickly turn to screams of horror should you, in your efforts to impress the masses, wind up dumping your bike and surfing the asphalt. Will you still look cool with thousands of dollars in damage to that once-beautiful sportbike and with the signatures and well-wishes of your friends on the various casts you'll be wearing months afterwards?

You Be The Judge

"I'm a big rider so I need a bigger bike to get me around."

"I'm a tall rider and all of those beginner bikes just don't fit me the way the sportbike does."

"I'll look huge and foolish riding on such a small bike.

"My friends will laugh at me for riding something so small."

These arguments are almost as bad as the vanity arguments. The difference being is they simply show a lack of motorcycle knowledge for the most part.

Unless you are over 6'3" tall or are extremely overweight (meaning well over 300lbs), even the smallest 250cc motorcycle will be able to accommodate you without difficultly. To provide an example, the Ninja 250 has a load limit of 348 pounds. That is more than sufficient to accommodate a heavier rider in full gear and still leave plenty of space for cargo. Or enough to allow two-up riding between two average weight individuals.

The idea that bigger riders need bigger bikes is almost laughable. It's like saying small drivers need Honda Civics but bigger drivers only 100 pounds heavier need to drive Hummers to get around. It is only because of the small physical size of bikes compared to their users that this train of thought even exists. It simply doesn't hold up to scrutiny. A look at any motorcycle owner's manual will confirm that for you.

For taller riders, a much better beginner fit is a dual-sport machine rather than a sport machine. They offer the high seat heights that make them comfortable rides and their power is well within acceptable limits. A dual-sport is just as capable on twisty roads as a sportbike. The same properties that give sportbikes their cornering ability is also possessed by dual sports.

As to peer pressure, which is more important: Your safety and comfort on a bike, or what your friends think?

The ways to deal with friends giving you a hard time about a smaller ride is very simple. Tell them to ride their rides and you'll ride yours. It's your ride, after all. Most true riders will accept other riders, no matter what they are on. Only posers and losers care that your ride doesn't measure up to their "standards". And if so, do you really want to be riding with them anyway? It's more fun to stand out than to be a member of a flock anyway. And if they don't buy that line of reasoning, try this one: "Well if you don't like my ride, why don't you go buy me something that you will like?". THAT will shut them up REALLY fast. It works too. Unless their name is on the payment book or the title, it shouldn't be their concern.

If your friends can't deal with your decisions, you're probably better off looking for new friends. And if you can't deal with the peer pressure, then you are putting your own safety at risk solely because of what others think. Revisit the vanity arguments above and think about why you want to ride.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Ich liebe Bier

BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin

next

Decision Justification Arguments

These arguments are the most common ones put forth and the ones that are hardest to deal with. These are the arguments that start flame wars. Because it is on these arguments that you have to convince someone the idea of what a beginner bike is over their preconceived notions.

This is where the arguments often surface. Many new riders have their heart set on a specific bike and come to ask about it - not to get real advice, but to get confirmation that their decision is right. In sportbikes, more than 3/4 of the posters are trying to get the community to approve their choice of a high performance machine as a first ride. Their shock is quite real when they are barraged with answers that don't meet their expectations and that is when a flurry of oft-repeated discussion ensues.

"I'll take it easy and grow into the bike."

The purpose of a first bike is to allow you to master basic riding skills, build confidence and develop street survival strategies. You don't grow into a bike. You develop your skills on it. As your skills develop, so does your confidence and with it, your willingness to explore what the bike is capable of.

But you are also entering in a contract with the bike. It is two-way. You are going to expect the bike to act on your inputs and the bike in turn is going to respond. The problem is, your skills are still developing but the bike doesn't know that. It does what it is told. You want a partner in a contract to treat you fairly. On a bike, you don't want it fighting you every step of the way. And like most contracts, the problems don't start until there is a breakdown in communication or a misunderstanding.

In sportbikes, the disparity between a new rider's limited skills and the responsiveness of the machine are very far apart. That is a wide gulf to bridge when you are still trying to figure out what the best inputs and actions on the bike should be. Ideally, you want your bike to do what you tell it and do it nicely. You never want the bike to argue with you. Modern sportbikes, despite their exquisite handling, will often argue violently right at the moment a new rider doesn't need them to.

Remember, riding is a LEARNED skill. It does not come naturally to the majority of us (save those like the Hayden brothers who were raised on dirt bikes from the moment they could walk). It must be practiced and refined. Riding is counter-intuitive to most new riders. It doesn't happen the way you expect. For example, at speeds over 25mph, to get a bike to go right, you actually turn the bars to the left. It's called counter-steering and it eventually comes naturally as breathing once you've been in the saddle for a while. But for new riders, this kind of thing is utterly baffling.

You want your skills to grow in a measurable and predictable fashion. You have enough to be fearful of riding in traffic. The last thing you need is to be fearful of what your bike might do when you aren't ready for it. It's never a good situation.

It is interesting to point out that only one manufacturer, Suzuki, explicitly states in their promotional material that their GSX-R family of sportbikes are intended for experienced riders. This also applies to several of their larger, more powerful machines (such as a GSX-1300R Hayabusa). If Suzuki issues such a warning for its top-flight sport machines, it is reasonable to say that the same warning would apply equally to similar machines from other manufacturers.

"I'm a careful driver so I'll be a careful rider and not get into trouble."

This is what's called the "I'm responsible and mature" argument. This one is a general excuse and does not apply to sportbikes in particular.

Recent studies have shown that 90% of all drivers feel that they have average to above-driving abilities compared to other drivers on the road. These drivers also said that they think 60% of those on the road are less skilled than they are. It's an interesting perception as it indicates a mentality that everyone else is sub-par, not you. Obviously someone has to be wrong because the percentages just don't add up.

A proper attitude towards driving as well as riding is essential. But these same drivers who see themselves as superior also engage in dangerous driving habits (aggressive weaving, illegal passing, bad merges, following too close, lack of attention to traffic/road conditions, etc). Very few drivers are truly honest with themselves and their ability to handle a vehicle.

The problem is, on a bike, the perception that you are responsible is not enough. On a bike, you must be. You either learn to be or you are going to be in trouble really quick. In talking with other riders I have found that they tend to be much more defensive and thoughtful drivers behind the wheel because riding raises their perception of their surroundings.

Ultimately, responsible and mature does not equate to riding skill. It has nothing to do with it except how you will approach riding in general. You want to know the sign of a responsible rider? Look at their gear. Are they in full safety gear? Watch them ride. If you are seeing them turn their heads to clear their blind spots, making careful and smooth maneuvers, leaving a nice, safe amount space around them and working to maximize your chance of seeing and knowing what they are doing, then you are looking at a responsible rider.

Now do the same exercise and watch the drivers around you. How many turn their heads to check their blind spots, signal lane changes, leaving several car lengths of space in front of them? I'm willing to bet it's not going to be a very significant percentage. Now imagine these same individuals on a bike. I'm sure you'll be able to spot more than a few of these types on bikes too (just look for the T-shirts and flip-flops as they blast by you at 100mph on the Interstate).

How you approach the task of driving is how you will approach riding. Attention to the task of riding is the number one way you avoid trouble by not getting into it in the first place. Study your own driving habits. Good habits will definately decrease your chances of getting into trouble, but they have little to do with controlling a motorcycle. Any motorcycle. Many drivers often become much better drivers as the result of riding a motorcycle. It is far less common for it to go in the other direction.

"I drive a fast car so I'll be able to handle a fast bike."

This shows a complete and utter lack of motorcycle knowledge. Most of the folks who make this statement own fast cars (Corvette, Mustang, Acura, modified Civic, etc) or think they do. The belief is that if you can drive fast in a car you can handle a bike that can go fast. I would argue unless these folks race cars on weekends, driving a car that can go fast does not make them a experienced high-speed driver. And for those that do understand how to handle a car at high speed, it gives you knowledge of braking and traction but even that knowledge is useless for one simple reason: Bikes are not cars.

Braking, traction control, acceleration and handling are totally different on a motorcycle. Cars do not lean. Bikes do. When bikes lean, it changes the part of the tire contacting the ground (the contact patch) and changes the stability and dynamics of the bike from moment to moment. The physics of motorcycle control are in a league of their own. Even the ability to race cars will not instantly make you a motorcycle God.

Are you aware that a racing motorcycle (which is basically ANY high performance 600cc and up sportbike made today) when it is turning, is touching the ground with an amount of rubber equal to a couple of postage stamps? The same applies to any street bike at deep lean angles except they don't have the advantage of a smooth surface (like a race track) or sticky race tires (like slicks). Now imagine having to control the power and the amount of traction you are getting in that small contact patch.

Like being responsible, the ability to handle a car at high speed has nothing to do with handling a fast motorcycle. You are missing two wheels, a cage and a seatbelt on a bike. Turning at 70mph becomes a whole different world on a motorcycle compared to car. Braking is a different experience too. It is fairly hard to stand a car on its front bumper if you stomp on the brakes. It can be done with two fingers, a good amount of speed and a moment of panic on a sportbike. The only cars that have brakes equal or better than that of a sportbike built in the last 10 years is a Formula One race car.

The skills to handle the potent combination of acceleration, instant-on power and brakes are best learned on a smaller machine so when you finally get on that ultimate sportbike, you have an idea of what to do and how to handle the machine. Driving a car won't give you that. Only time in the saddle. The more, the better.

Quick Reply: Another New Rider With another Question