Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Wheel spacers

Old 08-03-2005, 10:16 AM
Patron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune
Default Re: Wheel spacers

Originally Posted by Chris4130
Somehting like that....
CHECK YOUR PM OR AWNSER UR PHONE!
Old 08-03-2005, 01:16 PM
HIGH FIVE!

upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown

Originally Posted by Chris4130
Somehting like that....
I disagree. It's not pointless. It's not gonna do much structurally, but it will help some. The main thing it will do is center the spacer. You know how small wheel weights are and if one wheel isn't balanced, you feel it. Well imagine one of the cheap 1/4" spacers. You put it on the lugs, but the holes are usually huge, made for multiple lug patterns. So instead of it sitting centered on the hub, it falls down 1/2"-3/4". That's not balanced at all. It definitely helps center the spacer, unless your spacers lug holes are just big enough for the stud to go through.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

94ta_lt1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown
I disagree. It's not pointless. It's not gonna do much structurally, but it will help some. The main thing it will do is center the spacer. You know how small wheel weights are and if one wheel isn't balanced, you feel it. Well imagine one of the cheap 1/4" spacers. You put it on the lugs, but the holes are usually huge, made for multiple lug patterns. So instead of it sitting centered on the hub, it falls down 1/2"-3/4". That's not balanced at all. It definitely helps center the spacer, unless your spacers lug holes are just big enough for the stud to go through.

most spacers i've seen do not move much once you slide them over the lugs and even if they were not balanced perfectly, it is so close to the center of the rotational mass that it would not have a great effect. The weights on the outside of the rim effect the balance alot b/c they are generally 7-10 inches away from the center of the wheels mass.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:18 PM
HIGH FIVE!

upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown upSLIDEdown

Originally Posted by 94ta_lt1
most spacers i've seen do not move much once you slide them over the lugs
The cheap spacers one eGay, all the universal ones move around...I just wouldn't trust them, that's all.

Originally Posted by 94ta_lt1
and even if they were not balanced perfectly, it is so close to the center of the rotational mass that it would not have a great effect. The weights on the outside of the rim effect the balance alot b/c they are generally 7-10 inches away from the center of the wheels mass.
That's true, it won't affect it as much, you should still notice it. Not saying it's gonna make a huge difference, especially since I got tha HOOK UP!...lol Mine are custom CNC hubcentric and wheelcentric
Old 08-04-2005, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

ClassicJDMCars has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown
That's true, it won't affect it as much, you should still notice it. Not saying it's gonna make a huge difference, especially since I got tha HOOK UP!...lol Mine are custom CNC hubcentric and wheelcentric
But untill you've run them you can't really say. Since I have run both hubcentric and nonhubcentris I can say there is no difference. Even uncentered the non hubcentric spacers didn't cause any kind of vibration.

The wheel is balanced not the hub. you think the hub is perfectly balanced from the factory? Not hardly.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

the answer to this might be obvious, but i've never balanced a car wheel or installed a spacer so i don't know, but why don't you just bolt the spacer onto the wheel and then balance them together?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:04 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

it appears to me that there are a few engineers in this thread....the way people are throwing theories around

the spacers dont bolt to the wheel (most up to 1/4 are just spacers. you can get some that are thicker that bolt on, but that isnt the topic here.)

no spacer has or ever will cause a vibration due to being "balanced" wrong. if you get it way the fuck off center, and i mean like half an inch or more, you may have a slight vibration. the way most spacers are machined, its damn near impossible to do that though.

hubcentric is a fucking joke too. granted, there are a few manufacturers that use a hub centric mount from the factory (damn ford truck wheels!) and those have to be done like that or you will have issues. but for thbe other 98% of cars that use a lug centric mount, unless you are a complete moron and dont use the right nuts, you will be fine.

but its not like i do this for a living.....
Old 08-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

Del La Sol 1320 has disabled reputation

ok thanks guys that gives me a good deal, even if conflicting, amount of information, something to think about... which brings me to my next question, how do i find out what the correct lug nut for my application will be?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by fc735
hubcentric is a fucking joke too. granted, there are a few manufacturers that use a hub centric mount from the factory (damn ford truck wheels!) and those have to be done like that or you will have issues. but for thbe other 98% of cars that use a lug centric mount, unless you are a complete moron and dont use the right nuts, you will be fine.

but its not like i do this for a living.....

Thank you.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Del La Sol 1320
ok thanks guys that gives me a good deal, even if conflicting, amount of information, something to think about... which brings me to my next question, how do i find out what the correct lug nut for my application will be?
Maybe this will help: From tire rack's site

Those are basically the 3 most common mounting surfaces. Just get the lug nuts that will sit flush in the particular wheel you are using.

If you are using a Crown Vic stock wheel I would ASSUME that i'd be the same lug as your factory ones.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers