Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Video People...

Old 06-10-2006, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LowTech1 has a spectacular aura aboutLowTech1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Video People...

You guys who mess with video and whatnot, I've got a question...

This camera of mine (256mb card in it) can do like 12-15 mins of video.

The problem is, when the videos done, it's 200 megs. Thats too fucking big, I'm pretty sure.

How do I make the damned things smaller? (It's .mov format when it comes out, if that helps)

Help's appreciated.

-JT
Old 06-10-2006, 06:37 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF
Default Re: Video People...

If you plug it into any editing program (Windows Movie Maker for the thrifty, Adobe Premiere or another third-party for those willing to pay) it will convert/compress it for you.

Keep in mind, this sounds like you are using a point-shoot PHOTO camera for movies, so I'm sure your framerate is around 15-20, whereas NTSC standard is 29.97 fps, so unless you tell whatever program it is what your source video's timecode is, it's going to be choppy when it renders it. I used Adobe Premiere 6.0 before I had a mini-DV and tried doing little videos with a Sony P&S camera and the results were horrible.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MerF
If you plug it into any editing program (Windows Movie Maker for the thrifty, Adobe Premiere or another third-party for those willing to pay) it will convert/compress it for you.

Keep in mind, this sounds like you are using a point-shoot PHOTO camera
Yup. nikon p2.

so I'm sure your framerate is around 15-20, whereas NTSC standard is 29.97 fps, so unless you tell whatever program it is what your source video's timecode is, it's going to be choppy when it renders it.
whatever the hell that means...

I used Adobe Premiere 6.0 before I had a mini-DV and tried doing little videos with a Sony P&S camera and the results were horrible.
Should I even bother? The little ones ive done so far don't look as horrible as i figured they would.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Ghost

Originally Posted by LowTech1
whatever the hell that means...
LOL...sorry. Standard DV (digital video) shoots at around 30 Frames Per Second (fps)...it's actually 29.97 fps, but calling it 30 is safe enough. But if your picture camera shot that fast, it would be as big as DV is (roughly 20Gb/hour), so they combat that by only capturing half as many frames or so (and less quality). The result is video that's "choppy" but acceptable for just shooting something for family or friends.
Should I even bother? The little ones ive done so far don't look as horrible as i figured they would.
Hey, if it looks good to you, then do it! If it's video you plan on releasing to the public, just understand that if it's too choppy or low-resolution, you're going to catch flak.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Dude, this is Drag. You catch flak for everything.
It's expected.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:06 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

chop the sections you want, encode with divx

http://www.virtualdub.org/
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm
Old 06-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Ghost

Originally Posted by vmspionage
Ya know, I used to be all abotu DivX, but honestly, with the codecs Windows has for Media PLayer 9+, .wmv is better for less space than .avi is. Granted, .avi is more "raw", but for practical web applications, you're better off just rendering a .wmv or .mpeg.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:11 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

Ya know, I used to be all abotu DivX, but honestly, with the codecs Windows has for Media PLayer 9+, .wmv is better for less space than .avi is. Granted, .avi is more "raw", but for practical web applications, you're better off just rendering a .wmv or .mpeg.

Just my opinion.
I agree new wmv compression is pretty decent but you lose cross platform support as well as slower machines render choppy due to more processing power needed. I have a windows mobile hp4155 with a 400mhz processor and it decodes a 240x320 wmv choppy almost regardless of the quality settings. But I dont use any compression unless I have to, all of my content and dvds are stored uncompressed mpeg2/vob.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Ghost

You see, maybe my vid card is fucked up, because I will get choppy with .avi WAY before I will with a .wmv, even with a huge bitrate, I will be able to play Windows media better...hmmm.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:21 AM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

You see, maybe my vid card is fucked up, because I will get choppy with .avi WAY before I will with a .wmv, even with a huge bitrate, I will be able to play Windows media better...hmmm.
I think it's just PocketDivX > WM9 for PPC. I've never seen choppy video on my pc anyways (wc+tec opteron 165@3ghz, 7800GT SLI)