Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Questions about parting out a car

Old 02-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DGJ04RT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about parting out a car

I am in the process of parting out my 04 Stratus coupe that had the motor go in it just before it hit 100k. I have already parted out most of the interior to someone in NY that wanted to change interior colors on their car. I have also parted out most of my aftermarket items. This is my first part-out so my questions are:

1) How much should I sell from the car. I know there are factors that go into this such as storage of the vehicle during the partout. Should I remove any larger metal peices and take them to the scrap yard for $ or just leave it on the car when I get rid of it. Is scrap prices worth me going that route.

2) What do I do with the car when I am done. Where have other people that have done partouts sent their car in the 804 area? Will junk yards pick up just a rolling chassis? Are they required to as part of being a salvage yard?

I am sure there are other questions that I can't think of right now but basically I am looking for any advice from members that have gone through the part-out process before.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0
Default Re: Questions about parting out a car

People will buy your junk car all day, but the more you take off, the less they will pay.

You would see more $$ by taking stuff off and scrapping it yourself, when I part a car, there isn't a single piece of easily removable metal left on it.

Most people have roll backs, so they can just winch the shell up if you don't have any wheels on it, not a problem at all.

Scrap prices have just gone up recently too.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I figured I would get more money back by parting as much of the car (including metal) out myself. I know junk yards usually don't pay much for vehicles so I am trying to get as much out of it as possible before sending it that route. I was thinking the hood, fenders, exhaust, etc could easily be removed and scrapped (if I wasn't able to sell them). Do you have any particular companies that you have dealt with the area that would pick up whats left of the car?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

I'm a little far from Chesterfield, so I can't really recommend anyone in that area.

Just hit up craigslist, there are PLENTY of people on there advertising for junk car removal.

They guys I use local to me can usually be here to get the car in an hour or two.

If you keep the dead motor/tranny in it, the junk guys will be more inclined to pay better for the car, it's all about weight to them.

If it rolls, and still has motor/tranny, $100-200 range is a fair price, but exhaust, hood, fenders, etc...pull it all off and scrap it.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 AM
Registered Member

Thanks, I had not thought about Craigslist for junk car removal. I'm pretty sure it will still be on (cheap) wheels and with motor/tranny.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 AM
CIMSPORT

spnamnt has disabled reputation

u can pm 8urcivic i know he does junk car removal.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 AM
liquor&cheeseburgers

Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy

I think most scrap metal places will take junk cars. I use Sims when i scrap copper and they usually pay more than the other guys.