Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Plaza Azteca

Old 08-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Hello

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality
Default Re: Plaza Azteca

Originally Posted by Its Chey
This here is a true statement. The last two times Kelli and I went, we both had intestinal discomfort to be polite. Several times previous were great. Two consecutive problems, no longer a place for me to frequent. El Caporal is great and El Paso at Cox and Three Chopt is pretty good.
It's true around VB as well. Typically the food isn't bad but it is always a crapshoot.... and the margaritas are always just sour mix. We regularly hit El Tapitio at Lynnhaven/PA and now every drink automatically comes with a tequila sidecar - those dudes are awesome. The service has always been almost overwhelming and the food is pretty decent (any cheese covered, plate-filling burrito is good for me but everything the girl or I've had has been good.).
Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered Member

jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R

The best Mexican restaurant in Richmond area is in Powhatan. El Cerro Azul. Period.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:24 PM
Why so serious?

Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey

Originally Posted by jentegraGS-R
The best Mexican restaurant in Richmond area is in Powhatan. El Cerro Azul. Period.

I don't know suga britches! Don Pedro3 in the Food Lion shopping center on Quioccasin, right by Toys R Us. We happened to see it and just decided to try it. Looks to be a new establishment. The chips were not the least bit greasy, salsa was not diluted with tomato paste or soup(which I've noticed with several restaurants as of late). I ordered the Chicken Fajitas with corn tortillas. Beautifully executed! The chicken, peppers and onions were not bathing in butter or oil. They were just how I love them, with a few burnt tips. Corn tortillas were warm, soft and pliable without breaking. This seems to be a difficult task for other establishments. The corn tortillas just break when you fold them. I'm not a big rice eater. However, their rice just beckons you! It was light and fluffy and not at all salty. Guacamole, pico de gallo and refried beans were delicious as well. I never take home Mexican that I can't finish in a restaurant. This time...........I felt it was worth it. Wait staff was extremely attentive, manager was equally engaging. As a matter of fact, I gave him some well deserved accolades. He took the next 5 minutes to give me a quick run down on why I was so pleased with taste and texture of the meal. Just to add, my wife was thoroughly pleased with the Veggie Quesadilla. I cannot vouch as I did not taste. The eating area was exceptionally clean too.

My apologies for the short novel, but Don Pedro 3 deserved a comprehensive review. I certainly recommend them if you're in the area. Nibs, shoot me a text some time and we'll get the families together for some delicious cuisine!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

I don't know suga britches! Don Pedro3 in the Food Lion shopping center on Quioccasin, right by Toys R Us. We happened to see it and just decided to try it. Looks to be a new establishment. The chips were not the least bit greasy, salsa was not diluted with tomato paste or soup(which I've noticed with several restaurants as of late). I ordered the Chicken Fajitas with corn tortillas. Beautifully executed! The chicken, peppers and onions were not bathing in butter or oil. They were just how I love them, with a few burnt tips. Corn tortillas were warm, soft and pliable without breaking. This seems to be a difficult task for other establishments. The corn tortillas just break when you fold them. I'm not a big rice eater. However, their rice just beckons you! It was light and fluffy and not at all salty. Guacamole, pico de gallo and refried beans were delicious as well. I never take home Mexican that I can't finish in a restaurant. This time...........I felt it was worth it. Wait staff was extremely attentive, manager was equally engaging. As a matter of fact, I gave him some well deserved accolades. He took the next 5 minutes to give me a quick run down on why I was so pleased with taste and texture of the meal. Just to add, my wife was thoroughly pleased with the Veggie Quesadilla. I cannot vouch as I did not taste. The eating area was exceptionally clean too.

My apologies for the short novel, but Don Pedro 3 deserved a comprehensive review. I certainly recommend them if you're in the area. Nibs, shoot me a text some time and we'll get the families together for some delicious cuisine!

I can confirm that this place is very good as well...
Old 08-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

Nibs, shoot me a text some time and we'll get the families together for some delicious cuisine!
As long as it's not Don Pedro 3, when we went there it was a mediocre-fest. Di will not go back..... ever.
Make it El Caporal and you're on, I have NEVER had a bad meal there.
With them being a block away there is really no point in ever going to DP-3.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Why so serious?

Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey Its Chey

Originally Posted by Niburu
As long as it's not Don Pedro 3, when we went there it was a mediocre-fest. Di will not go back..... ever.
Make it El Caporal and you're on, I have NEVER had a bad meal there.
With them being a block away there is really no point in ever going to DP-3.
Last time we went I decided to try mexican sausage. Why? This I cannot answer. It was an awful experience.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

what did you get? El Cap doesn't serve the straight sausage as far as I know, the closest would be the huevos con chorizo, which i would never because I hate eggs
if PD3 is more to your suiting then I'm sorry youre taste is too Americanized for me
maybe dinner at Da'Lat sometime?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM
CIMSPORT

spnamnt has disabled reputation

i eat at don pepe a lot, know the owners and i think its the best mexican food ive had, maybe ill have to try out some of these others. they have 3 locations, chester, hull st and midlothian.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 AM
Why so serious?

Originally Posted by Niburu
what did you get? El Cap doesn't serve the straight sausage as far as I know, the closest would be the huevos con chorizo, which i would never because I hate eggs
if PD3 is more to your suiting then I'm sorry youre taste is too Americanized for me
maybe dinner at Da'Lat sometime?
It was some sort of quesadilla I believe. Like I said, not sure why I got it. Anyway, Americanized? Or just a difference of opinion? I'm a simple man that enjoys Fajitas without 6 liters of butter and oil drooling off my chicken and vegetables! And actually receiving corn tortillas instead of flour when asked. At this point involving the kids, probably going to be more like a Chuck E Cheese dinner. Haha.