Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need help w/ AC in the gf's car

Old 07-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO
Default Need help w/ AC in the gf's car

So I bought a 99 Pontiac Grand Am for the g/f... We knew it didn't have AC when we bought it, and now it's time to fix it. I KNOW for a fact there is no freon in the system, I'm going to get one of those charge kits from Advanced and see if maybe I'm lucky and it'll work. If not, does anyone know their way around these systems? Would much rather pay someone on the side for work rather than take it to a shop and get beat over the head.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 AM
1-877-TURBOKT

AdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need help w/ AC in the gf's car

Originally Posted by FSTWINO
So I bought a 99 Pontiac Grand Am for the g/f... We knew it didn't have AC when we bought it, and now it's time to fix it. I KNOW for a fact there is no freon in the system, I'm going to get one of those charge kits from Advanced and see if maybe I'm lucky and it'll work. If not, does anyone know their way around these systems? Would much rather pay someone on the side for work rather than take it to a shop and get beat over the head.
If it just needs to be recharged, it will be around $70 for us to charge it.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Registered member

FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO

Originally Posted by AdrenalineAuto
If it just needs to be recharged, it will be around $70 for us to charge it.
I'm hoping that's all it needs... I need to get underneath the car and check the condenser and make sure there's nothing f'd up w/ it. I dunno, if I can find someone to help diagnose the issue and just need a charge, I'll be there.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:12 AM
i <3 my neon

TheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the roughTheLittleRedSRT is a jewel in the rough

does the compressor at least kick on?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Registered member

Nope, we "tested" at the shrader valve and NOTHING came out... We unplugged the sensor on the line, and when we plugged it back in, the compressor came on for a second, and the fans started to spin... Crossing my fingers
Old 07-25-2009, 10:05 AM
wheels up bitches

Z-Rated Z-Rated

with the system in a low pressure state the compressor will likely not turn on... there was more than likely a leak somewhere for it to have no pressure at the shrader valve at all. cheapest way to get going is to try to fill it and see if it works. Negative impact is, if there's any moisture that got into the system, when you try to charge it youll more than likely blow the compressor shortly after. You need to get the dye and do a UV test to find if it's leaking. Do you see any green oil around the compressor at all?
Old 07-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

A good majority of the time if there is no freon in the system, the compressor will not turn on and second there is a leak. I am sure over the years you can possibly going to lose it but chances are that may not be the case. However, the system is pretty much a sealed system and if you lose freon it is due to a leak/permeating through old hoses/fittings, etc.

Your best bet is to evac/recharge it with some freon and either add some dye and let it circulate in the system(this may take a few hours or a few days) by running the a/c as normal. If it starts to blow warm again, you know there is a leak and with some glasses and a black light you can see where they dye is.

You can also use a freon leak detector which can detect freon that is leaking.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:51 PM
1-877-TURBOKT

AdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud of

Our freon has UV leak detector in it. So if you need help, come by next week.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Registered member

The roommate is "suppose" to bring home some stuff from his work to help the issue a long... But, if he falls through I believe I'll be making a trip out to see the new shop before the cookout lol. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Want SOM

AFASTYZFR1 AFASTYZFR1 AFASTYZFR1 AFASTYZFR1 AFASTYZFR1 AFASTYZFR1 AFASTYZFR1 AFASTYZFR1 AFASTYZFR1 AFASTYZFR1 AFASTYZFR1

You can re-charge it yourself for around $30.

Quick Reply: Need help w/ AC in the gf's car