Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Moving to the area.....lots of questions

Old 12-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mysteryguest is on a distinguished road
Question Moving to the area.....lots of questions

Moving to the Richmond area from Ft. Myers, FL in a few weeks and have some questions.

What is the deal with the inspections? Will I have trouble getting a 1993 Suburban with a fresh 496 through? Still fuel injected with all emission equipment other than the cat.
Do they inspect older cars, say a 1965 model?
Are the cops strict with loud exhaust and obvious barely street legal cars on the street?
How strict are they with tinted windows? (A must in Florida).

Is Powhatan too far from the action to have any fun?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to meeting new people.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

hi boost 21 psi has disabled reputation
Default Re: Moving to the area.....lots of questions

tinted windows in va??? ha ha ha! forget it!! and the cat?? well if you know someone they might be able to hook it up (inspection) and the loud exhaust another on your going to have fun with... im not trying to make it sound so bad but va is pretty strict... good luck :-)
Old 12-17-2006, 05:30 PM
yea, i'm that guy

fatboyee has disabled reputation

if moving to powhatan:

biggest worry is the state police.
no it's not too far from the action (relatively speaking)
anything missing cats will fail a state inspection (less you know ur inspector)
and if you're living in powhatan, you don't have to worry about emissions.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Know somebody??? I have driven through Richmond four times in my life. That is the extent to my knowledge of Richmond and the people around it. Although, I am looking forward to changing that.

So I need to remove the tint on all three vehicles. I was afraid you guys would say they have ghey tint laws.
I'll have to get on the VA DOT website to find the laws on allowable tint so I can go ahead and get my dark stuff replaced with lighter stuff while I am still in Florida.

So, you need cats for state insp., but it won't matter in Powhatan? I will go ahead and put the highest flowing cat I can find on the Suburban, but the Chevy II does not apply to this rule, correct? 1965 model. No inspection on antiques, right?

This move is turning into a bummer.

Last edited by mysteryguest; 12-17-2006 at 05:44 PM. Reason: moe info added
Old 12-17-2006, 05:49 PM
yea, i'm that guy

Originally Posted by mysteryguest
Know somebody??? I have driven through Richmond four times in my life. That is the extent to my knowledge of Richmond and the people around it. Although, I am looking forward to changing that.

So I need to remove the tint on all three vehicles. I was afraid you guys would say they have ghey tint laws.
I'll have to get on the VA DOT website to find the laws on allowable tint so I can go ahead and get my dark stuff replaced with lighter stuff while I am still in Florida.

So, you need cats for state insp., but it won't matter in Powhatan? I will go ahead and put the highest flowing cat I can find on the Suburban, but the Chevy II does not apply to this rule, correct? 1965 model. No inspection on antiques, right?

This move is turning into a bummer.
haha. "Va is for Bummers"

cats are a requirement for va state inspection under "emissions". any vehicle equipped with emissions equipment must retain the equip and have in working order. BUT, in northern va, they have annual? emissions TESTING... luckily it's not yet made it this far south.

the antique laws get you out of SOME stuf. but i don't think a 65 anything came with cats... but i wasn't around then, so couldn't tell ya. but i've heard rumor that va may be eliminating antique tags in the near future so
Old 12-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

taco is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, I'm interested in knowing this stuff too.

I have been living here for a year but have been more concerned with getting things straightened out at work than any automotive hobby.

But it's fairly possible I might be picking up a 95 mustang over Christmas holiday and am wondering what I can get away with. I would love to run a carb'd windsor stroker but what are the chances of getting a carb'd engine inspected around here.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Argh!
Looks like I need to register my stuff in Florida at my folks address down here. Wonder how long I could get away with two of the three cars with Florida tags after the move.

Someone told me you pay personal property tax on your cars, boats, trailers, motorcycles, etc.? Is this true? How's that work?

Gonna search the state website too.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:43 PM
NEO VVL N1 BITCHES

JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot

in va any car/boat/mc/trailer titled in your name, even if it isnt registered or driven, you have to pay crazy high personal property taxes on them. on a sububan you can keep the dark tint and no one will mess with you, but on a car i think the law is 35 in the back 50 in the front. and loud exhaust is ok on trucks and old cars. as long as you dont drive an import the cock sucking cops in the chesterfield/powhatan area wont mess with you.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:54 PM
BAMF

GSXRATED is a name known to allGSXRATED is a name known to allGSXRATED is a name known to allGSXRATED is a name known to allGSXRATED is a name known to allGSXRATED is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jjkamikaze
in va any car/boat/mc/trailer titled in your name, even if it isnt registered or driven, you have to pay crazy high personal property taxes on them. on a sububan you can keep the dark tint and no one will mess with you, but on a car i think the law is 35 in the back 50 in the front. and loud exhaust is ok on trucks and old cars. as long as you dont drive an import the cock sucking cops in the chesterfield/powhatan area wont mess with you.
Yup, unless you get sun shading on your registration, then you can have 35% all around. Like said, leave the tint on your SUV, you'll be fine.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:01 PM
yea, i'm that guy

Originally Posted by jjkamikaze
run in with the locals a couple times??

Quick Reply: Moving to the area.....lots of questions