Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Looks like those driver fee's aren't working out for everyone

Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Slow as Shit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow
Default Looks like those driver fee's aren't working out for everyone

http://www.inrich.com/content/cva/ri...7-20-0168.html
Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 PM
wheels up bitches

Z-Rated Z-Rated
Thumbs down Re: Looks like those driver fee's aren't working out for everyone

i saw this coming
Old 08-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow
Default Re: Looks like those driver fee's aren't working out for everyone

I just happened to see that over on the Subaru board. This will be interesting.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 PM
BOOBS>EVERTHING!

4drgsr 4drgsr

they need to be taken away completely. the state made these laws to maintain their aaa bond rating,so they could carry on with road and rail projects. they have abused their rights as legislators and should be removed entirely. the funny thing is,im not even under these laws(car is registered in ga so is my license) but i still feel that the cops in faifax county alone are making a concious effort to trap motorists,by hiding behind trees,speed trapping,and generally "taking the laws into their own hands". i know from a safety,as well as legal standpoint,in the states of georgia and south carolina,it is illegal to hide from motorsits. all officers "and i quote,shall be visable without enhancement from a minumum of 500 feet" this law used to be not so much as a law nationwide,but a guideline. virginia has strayed from this"guideline" and may run into to legal issues later on. just my.02
Old 08-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Slow as Shit

I think they should keep the laws but to a certain degree and basing it off the offense and to every driver regardless of where they live
Old 08-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

4drjdmteg has disabled reputation

can someone post the article work filters ahhhhh
Old 08-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Y U NO REP ME ?!?

Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L Young L

I like the fines for the DUI offenses it the speeding and reckless driving ones that im not a fan of. Espically for 1st offenders i think there harsh; i think it should be up to the court to decided the the outcome.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars

I agree with Young L, I think the judge should be given discretion as to what the punishment would be.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I think they should keep the laws but to a certain degree and basing it off the offense and to every driver regardless of where they live
I agree...that was my only problem with it. As long as everybody receives the same punishment for the same crime then I'm fine with it.

I'm all for anything that discourages people from driving badly, and reckless driving is a big part of it. I would prefer that the additional fines went towards driver improvement programs, but we'll have to accept whatever the judicial system allows the legislators to do.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

You need to understand why the law can not apply to citizens outside of Virginia before crying "it's not fair."

Also, if you read articles on that site, you'd also notice this one...

Judge rules Va. driving fees unconstitutional

Thursday, Aug 02, 2007 - 11:50 AM Updated: 02:02 PM

Virginia's so-called bad driver fees today failed the first of what is expected to be a series of court challenges.

Henrico General District Judge Archer L. Yeatts III, in a brief hearing this morning, said the measure passed by the most-recent session of the General Assembly was unconstitutional.

Yeatts referred the matter to Henrico County Circuit Court, where it is likely to get a hearing as early as next week, court officials said.

Yeatts ruled in the matter of Anthony O. Price, a 23-year-old Henrico man whose case is apparently the first to be contested since the fees became law July 1.

Arrested July 2 for driving without a license, Price was convicted last week and sentenced to a mandatory 10 days in jail and a fine of $250. The fees could raise his costs by $750.

The fees have been hailed by some as being capable of producing more than $60 million a year in road fund money.

But Gov. Timothy M. Kaine and legislative leaders are scrambling to reassess the fees as public opposition mounts.

Because the law affects only in-state drivers, Price's attorneys say it is discriminatory and violates the equal protection clause of the Constitution.

But prosecutors say lower courts don't have the power to throw out laws on constitutional grounds, especially when the laws have a rational foundation.

Price is among the first to feel the bite of the new fees, but he's no stranger to the courts. This is the sixth time he has faced charges of driving without a license, according to court records.

Kaine last week called Price one of "these really egregious violators" whom the fees are supposed to ensnare.

Quick Reply: Looks like those driver fee's aren't working out for everyone