VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Central VA (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/central-va-15/)
-   -   intercooler piping (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/central-va-15/intercooler-piping-36610/)

onepointone 12-30-2003 09:17 AM

intercooler piping

well, my project car is nearing completetion, and im in need of some custom intercooler piping. does anyone know of a local shop that will just mandrel bend me some 2.25" pipe for a decent price. i dont need hose connectors, just the pipe.

any help is appreciated.

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/rx23/images/frontview.jpg

wantarace95GSX 12-30-2003 10:40 AM

you could try PVC piping from home depot i have seen some cars with that

onepointone 12-30-2003 10:43 AM

mmm... not with 15-20 pounds of boost

Nic 12-30-2003 11:19 AM

I forget the name of the shop, but they're right off 360 by the Victorian Square shopping center where VST used to be. They could probably do it.

HighPSI TSi Guy 12-30-2003 11:29 AM

Originally posted by wantarace95GSX
you could try PVC piping from home depot i have seen some cars with that
not such a good idea.. especially in a RX7, those things seem to attract heating problems

onepointone 12-30-2003 11:35 AM

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/rx23/images/front.jpg

not so much of a rx7 anymore.. well it is.. but isnt.

what part of 360 is this place at? im in chester. if i take the car to a shop ill have to get it towed and i would rather not take it to far.

Nic 12-30-2003 11:44 AM

It's right at Hull/Genito. Fat Boyee had an exhaust shop (tuffy I believe?) bend the intercooler piping for his 2.3T mustang. That might be something to check up on also.

lookoutdriftmike 12-30-2003 04:16 PM

damn is that a turbo coupe motor?

onepointone 12-30-2003 06:45 PM

it came out of a 86 merkur, pretty much the same thing but this one has a pretty big trim t3, instead of the turbocoupe IHI :D

stumpz 12-30-2003 10:15 PM

lol wuddap dawg :P..the people at sherwood hills automotive told me to go to a place across the street from john tyler cc..it's like behind that gay car dealer..i'll be stopping by there very soon, my ic piping on teh 240 is kinda ghetto..

EFI 4-EYE 12-31-2003 04:47 PM

Ford 2.3 Turbo... sweeeet! That thing should run

fatboyee 01-01-2004 05:13 PM

ok, now im pissed!!!!

1-pvc works for a boosted (18psi was my limit) 2.3

2- it works for a temporary time lol

3- if you're interested i've got a volvo i/c that made a pretty big improvement on my cooling if interested

4- the place to check out is 'Spool'... custom,handmade stainless steel piping. CHEAP. right off 360 in the old vst building

5- go get a RIC GILLIS boostvalve.... best thing! you can thank me later.

6- disconnect the knock sensor, it's gonna kill your timing.

7- what computer are you using? what VAM?

8- what transmission? hopefully not a stock 2.3 t5 :D LMAO!!

9- and no matter what you may have heard, a blow-off valve is a WASTE OF MONEY on those motors. a by-pass valve however is functional.

onepointone 01-02-2004 07:08 AM

awesome man. any more info on that shop? i have no clue where that building is. what range do you think it would cost me? under 50? under 100? ect.

i would take you up on the volvo piping, but the way the pipe has to be snaked around, im thinking im going to have to go custom

i bought that same boost controller from the guy i got the motor from, except i was looking at it the other day, and stupid ass me put it on backwards.. guess that would of been fun to never stop building boost :D

ive heard about disconnecting the knock sensor, i read about it on the turboford forums, does it really help that much? is the knock sound noticable, i dont want to be knocking and not hear it.

also, its a merkur motor with a merkur wiring harness and ecu. i had a harness out of a 87 TC with a LA3, but i didnt have the IRCM and ACT sensor, so i bought the merk harness and ecu. i still have the la3, but im going to make the pk1 (merk ecu) work, then convert it over later. im also running a large VAM off a tc.

and yes, the tranny is the stock t5. ive actually heard the BW t5 is decent. it came out of a turbocoupe, but i learned that it was out of a 2.3 mustang.

are you the guy with the crazy 2.3t mustang? i met you a long time ago at commonwealth 20. im friends with dustin (he drives a blue miata, and i think he goes by 93unos?) i would love to meet up with you once my car is up and running.

anyways, thanks for the help, and if you could give me more of an idea where this shop is, i would really appreciate it.

FlimFlam 01-02-2004 07:23 AM

Fatboyee is my apprentice. He has learned well...and fast. Good work son. Spread the good word.

Remember to stay humble, remember your roots...and always keep in mind that this Pinto engine and insane boost will beat any turbo Honda on the streets :thup:

I am keeping all the parts I have left because I know i'll be owning another 2.3T eventually. :thdown:

fatboyee 01-02-2004 09:43 AM

the 2.3 t5 is SHIT!

go find one from a v8 5.0 and put it in there... or splooge the money and go with something moderately performance oriented for a v8 5.0.... (let's just say that trans #1 lasted about 7 months, trans #2 lasted 3hrs).

call SPEC clutches and order yourself a stage 2 clutch... thank me later!

and yes, im the crazy kid with the 2.3T mustang :-D

the LA3 is the computer of choice (kevin may think otherwise). what color injectors are you using? brown?

there is typically no 'KNOCK'... it's SUPPOSED to be detonation, or pinging. if you've got a good ear you'll be able to detect it with no problems, just be sure to keep a good set of wires and MOTORCRAFT plugs in the beast. when the sensor detects 'ping' (or any other sound in the motor) it kills timing, thereby killing power.

you'll want to disconnect the knock sensor and just fool with your timing... i found my best power between 10 & 12* :shrug:

and rule #1: PREMIUM FUEL, OR NONE AT ALL

fatboyee 01-02-2004 09:48 AM

and o yea... spool quoted me about 80 or so to do my piping for my fmic... but it only required 3 90* turns and about 3ft of pipe.... so :dunno:

take them a design and some measurements to get a good quote. if need be just run a stock tb ic (i've still got mine) long enough to get the piping put on.

99blackcivicsi 01-02-2004 09:29 PM

Fatboyee from what i have seen with the SPEC clutches they suck i have seen 5 explode at high RPM and not to mention they constontly slip.

www.turbopiping.com

they there they offer most bends you need and you might need.

fatboyee 01-02-2004 09:54 PM

Originally posted by 99blackcivicsi
Fatboyee from what i have seen with the SPEC clutches they suck i have seen 5 explode at high RPM and not to mention they constontly slip.
not trying to start a debate or battle here but...

that 2.3 should never see any action beyond 5800-6k. i had my clutch in for 6 months and abused it constantly.... if it holds up to a boosted 2.3 and 75shot of gas on a 28" m/t et street and holds to a 13.0 with a 1.8 60'... im plenty certain it will hold whatever this guy's intending to throw it's way.

if not a SPEC clutch then 99, what would you suggest out of curiosity? hayes is the way to go... but im working with a budget here...

-mo

FlimFlam 01-02-2004 10:00 PM

Originally posted by fatboyee
that 2.3 should never see any action beyond 5800-6k.
I always shifted at 6250 or a tad bit above. But in general the 2.3 is not a rev monster...over 6500 just isnt gona be done stock.

MSeunos 01-02-2004 10:42 PM

Originally posted by onepointone
im friends with dustin
i just wanted to re-enforce this statement

you guys can offically want to help him now

EFI 4-EYE 01-03-2004 05:01 AM

Dude, put that LA3 computer back in and just hook up an ACT. I put an LA3 in my dad's Merkur and it wasn't hard- just have to drill and tap a spot for the ACT in the intake manifold, buy an ACT from Auto Zone for 10 bucks and switch a few wires around. Trust me, that LA3 EEC is alot better than the stock Merkur EEC.

Fear This 01-03-2004 05:34 AM

Economy mufflers in Hanover Air park custom make all kinds of mandrel bent pipe cheap.

I have a new Spec stage 2 clutch and spect alum flywheel that I like so far FWIW. Its hold 400/400+ at the flywheel

onepointone 01-03-2004 06:38 AM

fatboyee - i really appreciate the help. its cool to have someone local that knows their shit :D im thinking spool will do fine, i just need to know where it is.

yea, my clutch is going to be a weak spot in the drivetrain. when i started the project, i was trying to do it on a low budget (say ive bought just about everything so far, including the car, motor, trans, to flywheel bolts, all documented, $1100) so i bought a autozone clutch. it was around $120 and its a dynamax (POS)? im not really worried about that clutch, im kinda just worried about getting the car running.

same with the LA3. i know its a better computer, but i just dont have the knowledge to do it as of yet. its hard enough figuring out the harness made for the engine and ecu, and putting it in a different car. i will put it in eventually, but im going to just run the stock pk1 computer out of the merkur (which is also a automatic computer :rolleyes: )

also, what else goes along with disconnecting the knock sensor? or is it just pulling the plug? anything i need to do to fool the computer its there, ect?

Nic 01-03-2004 09:18 AM

im thinking spool will do fine, i just need to know where it is.
From commonwealth 20:

Go east on 360 until you cross over Genito. On your right, you'll see the Victorian Square shopping center with the K-Mart and Kroger. At the stoplight on the other side of the shopping center (7-11, Waffle house, and Applebees right there at the light) take a right. Up on the left no more than 1/4 mile you'll see an office building complex. Turn into there and spool will be down towards the end on the right. Hope that helps.

Also, just out of curiosity, how much would an RX7 with a 2.3T motor in it weigh? I love RX7's.

onepointone 01-03-2004 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Nic
From commonwealth 20:

Go east on 360 until you cross over Genito. On your right, you'll see the Victorian Square shopping center with the K-Mart and Kroger. At the stoplight on the other side of the shopping center (7-11, Waffle house, and Applebees right there at the light) take a right. Up on the left no more than 1/4 mile you'll see an office building complex. Turn into there and spool will be down towards the end on the right. Hope that helps.

Also, just out of curiosity, how much would an RX7 with a 2.3T motor in it weigh? I love RX7's.

awesome, would you happen to have the number for them?

im guessing ~2300ish, but thast just a guess. the car came without interior, so there wont be any as its not a real priority, and even though rotaries are really small, they are pretty heavy. all the exhaust and bolt ons add up. im sure the 2.3 will weigh more considering its cast iron block and head. but i wont really know till i get it out to VMP and weigh it.

Nic 01-03-2004 10:00 AM

im guessing ~2300ish
:crazy:

You and I need to talk.

onepointone 01-03-2004 10:05 AM

why is that? im on aim right now, screen name str8intoconcrete

fatboyee 01-03-2004 01:43 PM

spec stage 3 was only 300bux b/c i had it overnighted from alabama....

my stock clutch got toasted after 12psi in third gear... but try it and see how it holds up :shrug:

Up_on1 01-08-2004 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Nic
I forget the name of the shop, but they're right off 360 by the Victorian Square shopping center where VST used to be. They could probably do it.

the name of the shop is Spool-Turbo...its no longer there anymore

onepointone 01-08-2004 12:01 PM

well damn, i guess its back to square one...

Tainty_McFshStx 01-11-2004 03:07 PM

Are you serious....wtf happened to Spool