Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

HVAC people...

Old 06-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO
Default HVAC people...

Hey my god damn AC is out... Think the coil just needs to be cleaned. If anyone in here is in the bizz and can hook a brotha' up, let me know! I'd hate to have to pay $400 just to get someone to pull the coil and clean it. I've popped the cover and can see it, but can't get the SOB to pull out.

No AC sucks balls
Old 06-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Slow EG8 has disabled reputation
Default Re: HVAC people...

home or car? im guessing home. whats your location? i might be able to do it if your not too far.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:08 PM
canibeat.com

kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32

what kind of unit is it? if its small you can do it yourself..but if you have no AC at all then its not the coils being clogged..its something else.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Registered member

FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO FSTWINO

Im in Chesterfield, near the courthouse. I've spoken w/ a few people, and apparently the system is acting like it's a clogged coil. The system turns on, and there is air coming from the vents, but its just not very cold at all... The thermostat will be set at 74 but will continue to read 80+

The main line coming from the outside unit will have ice covering it at times too. From what I could see, the bottom of the coil has a layer of black "mud" almost covering it, and the top part has a decent amount of dust.

The unit outside is a Ruud, but I'm not sure if it''s a matching system or not... Didn't pay too much attention to it upstairs. The house is a pretty small house so even though I dont know shit about these systems, I'd have to imagine it's small.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 PM
canibeat.com

kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32 kevsz32

If the pipes outside are freezing up then that may mean that your low on refrigerant. And just spray down the coils with water.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Slow EG8 has disabled reputation

go buy some coil cleaner spray them then just hose them off. cleaner should foammm up and push the dirt out. guy above me is also right about lines freezing up. if your coil is freezing you probally have clogged filters.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

if your pipes are freezing up its one of two things, you are low on refrigerant or you need to change your filters(the ones on the inside of your house), because the restricted air flow is causing the freezing,

you can also go to the outside unit and use a hose to spray the coils down, and there is no removing them, and do not use a high pressure, because it will bend the fins and restrict air flow to the outside coils even more

let the ice melt, change the indoor filters, clean the coil and post up again when you have a change....

Last edited by NasTHatch; 06-16-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

His system was run without a filter; hence the need to have it cleaned out the the most likely cause of the issue...
Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Originally Posted by Frost
His system was run without a filter; hence the need to have it cleaned out the the most likely cause of the issue...
didn't know it was run without a filter, nor did i read that it was run without a filter? i'm still going with my original post......unless the OP states he ran it without a filter......

Last edited by NasTHatch; 06-16-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Registered member

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I live with two simple minded rednecks who didn't feel the need to replace the filter w/ another one. SO... Imagine my surprise when i go to check it and UH OH, no filter!

The issue I'm having now is I can not get the actual coil out of the "duct" the whole thing sits on a tray but will not budge. I'm not sure if there is a certain trick or what, but I don't feel like yanking and beating on that thing to persuade it to come out.

Quick Reply: HVAC people...